Does IP_chains have to be a router

Post by Jim Tenc » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I need to keep real IPs facing the internet, but want to firewall.  If I
stick a linuc box inbetween the external router (CISCO box) and my
internal network, will it filter and pass packets.  So the questions
are:
Can I have 2 NICs on the same subnet.
 and if I do this, how will the CISCO router (Supplied by my ISP, know
how to pass packets back to me.  Would Linux have to be running
routed/gated?

Jim

--

Jim Tench AKA Buzz Lightyear, Space Ranger.

Please remove ZZ from my mail address to reply.

Post by Steve Co » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I need to keep real IPs facing the internet, but want to firewall.  If I
> stick a linuc box inbetween the external router (CISCO box) and my
> internal network, will it filter and pass packets.  So the questions
> are: Can I have 2 NICs on the same subnet.
>  and if I do this, how will the CISCO router (Supplied by my ISP, know
> how to pass packets back to me.  Would Linux have to be running
> routed/gated?

> Jim

> --

> Jim Tench AKA Buzz Lightyear, Space Ranger.

> Please remove ZZ from my mail address to reply.

Hi,

|You'll have to set up the CISCO router to use the external NIC of the
linux box as the route for your networks public subnet.

On the linux box, set the CISCO as the default route and
set the internal card as the route to the LAN

1. I already RTFM, but am still having problems

Any hints will be greatly appreciated!

I have the following PC  --

        90 MHz Pentium
        Dolphin 8000 AT Series CD drive (supposedly Sony CDU31A compatible)
                with a port address of 340 (not 300)
        All-in-One Ethernet Card -- NE2000 compatible
        Diamond/Stealth 64 DRAM SVGA card
        AMI BIOS

Hmmm, what else?

I have tried to install Slackware 2.3, but am having the following troubles:

        1) CD drive not recognized; I've tried bootdisks CDU31A, NET and
        a couple of others, and the COLOR144 rootdisk.

        2) Sometimes (depending on the permutation of bootdisks), the system
        will freeze on booting -- I think this has to do with the NE2000
        (with an IO port of 300), but it may be that this has disappeared
        since I went to Slackware 2.3.  (I've been through a LOT of iterations
        with this.)  In any case, I can't get the network stuff to work, other
        than things like telneting to localhost.

        3) It's not obvious which parameters to use to configure the X system,
        but I really haven't gotten this far.

Some other info: I have a 1.2 GBytes disk which I'm using entirely for Linux --
it's in 4 partitions: a 200(?) Meg Linux native drive, to keep the cylinder
numbers low enough; a 20 Meg Linux swap partition; a 200(?) Meg partition
(DOS 16-bit) for the Linux distribution, since I can't read the CD; and a
800 (?) Meg drive which mounts under /usr.  There's bit of bitching and moaning
from fdisk (Partition xx does not start on a cylinder boundary), but all the
files seem to be accessible.

I know there's a file squirreled away someplace with a record of the last boot
on it, but I've forgotten where it lives.

There are very few people at Morse (where I bought the software), and even
fewer who speak clearly.  Can someone give me some clues?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Spraggins

P.S.  Please send e-mail, and I'll summarize

2. NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 9 October 2002 GNUbies Meeting: Alex Khalil on GNU/Linux: An Overview for Gnubies

3. I am having trouble with tcpip

4. modelsim and linux help

5. I am having problems with "fvwm2" or Xwindows

6. Problem with AverTV Phone in FreeBSD 2.2.5.

7. I am having trouble rebuilding xchat

8. Xt and ClientMessage

9. I am having problems with the 3c905 and the 3c509b with RH 5.0

10. Stupid $PATH question that I am ashamed to ask, but having no pride, I proceed

11. I am having troubles installing StarOffice 5.2 from the RedHat 7.2 distribution

12. I am having a /proc problem.

13. Am I having fun yet -- :(