DHCP lookup using RH 5.0 and @home cable modem

Post by H. St » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi Everyone,

correctly with Linux Red Hat 5.0.

I am somewhat new to linux, and

I have a system with 2 ethernet interfaces. One is for the internal
network and the other is the interface for the cable modem.

When the cable modem was installed I had it installed on a Win95
box. The peculiar thing I noticed was that they changed both the
machine name and the workgroup name. Whan I asked them about this
thay said that is was because they use a DCHP server to get static
ip addresses, and that the DHCP server requires a host name to
complete the lookup.

If I configure the card for DHCP, then the activation of the interface
never completes. The version of DHCP the comes with redhat 5.0 is
0.65. While poking around on the net,  there seems to be a version 0.7
of DHCP which has a -h switch to specify a host.  The current dhcpcd
package on the redhat site is still at 0.65 though.

As another test I tried setting everything up as a static IP but I
cannot ping any IP except the one assigned to the interface.

Does anyone have some answers to the following questions:

Can this version 0.7 of dhcpcd source be retrieved, and compiled even

though if doesn't come from Redhat? Can I use the one from sunsite for
example? Is there anything special I need to do to the code to get it
to compile to be compatible with redhat?

Has anyone else had a sililar problem and if so, what did you do to
get around it?

to send e-mail to me, transpose the words separated by
the underscore character

DHCP lookup using RH 5.0 and @home cable modem

Post by Doug Sis » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just did the same thing.

The technician that installed mine (from comcast) said that
DHCP is only used for the initial connection.  So, you can
setup with a fixed IP address on the linux side.  The reason
you can't ping anywhere else do to routing.

I guessed and got it working.  Try setting your default route
as XXX.XXX.XXX.1 where XXX.XXX.XXX is the first part of your
assigned IP address.  Also, setup your nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf, and add a search entry at the top like:

  search sumt1.nj.home.com
  nameserver 24.3.128.33
  nameserver 24.3.128.34

replace the above values with your  domain/nameservers.

To setup the default route use 'netcfg'

--
Doug Sisk                Internet Business Services