Samba question related to Windows 3.1 client

Samba question related to Windows 3.1 client

Post by Ratt » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure you can see the Samba server with Win3.1 without additional
software. I'm pretty sure you'll have to 'upgrade' to WIndows for
Workgroups 3.11, which has the networking built in to the OS.

-David

Post by Carles Arjon » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

> I'm not sure you can see the Samba server with Win3.1 without additional
> software. I'm pretty sure you'll have to 'upgrade' to WIndows for
> Workgroups 3.11, which has the networking built in to the OS.

But it needs additional software too, because it does not include the
TCP/IP protocol:

ftp://ftp.lf.net/pub/pc/comm/wfw/TCP32B.EXE

is the MS-TCP3.11b package from Microsoft
(I  don't recall the original location in ftp.microsoft.com)

> > 1. How do I enable my Windows 3.1 machine to use the samba server on my
> > linux box? I find out that in the Windows setup, there is several options
> > in "Network".  Do I have to install one of the option in it?

On Windows 3.1, you can use a MS-DOS TCP/IP stack:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/MSCLIENT/

Hope this helps.

-
Please, remove just the last NOSPAM to reply.

Samba question related to Windows 3.1 client

Post by Gary Gutha » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

The Win 3.11 also has a better Windows engine.  If you can get a hold
of Novell's LAN Workplace 5.0 (or Pro) client software, it has some
pretty good TCP/IP apps.  You don't need to install any of Novell's
IPX stuff.

>I'm not sure you can see the Samba server with Win3.1 without additional
>software. I'm pretty sure you'll have to 'upgrade' to WIndows for
>Workgroups 3.11, which has the networking built in to the OS.
>-David

>>         I have two questions:

>> 1. How do I enable my Windows 3.1 machine to use the samba server on my
>> linux box? I find out that in the Windows setup, there is several options
>> in "Network".  Do I have to install one of the option in it?

1. Two 3.1 questions related to booting

I recently upgraded to 3.1 via the CD, and my laptop displays two behaviors
that are less than optimal:
1) the boot manager now requres 2 steps, where it used to require 1. When I
turn the computer on I get the following menu:
F1    DOS
F2    FreeBSD
F4    ??
F5    Drive 0

F1 doesn't boot me into Windows (unfortunately, I need to run this for
reasons we won't go into here). F2 doesn't boot FreeBSD. F4 is a no-op, and
F5 brings up another menu:
F1    DOS
F2    FreeBSD
F4    ??

and this works as expected (ie, F1 starts Windows, F2 starts FreeBSD). I'd
like to skip the first menu step, if possible.

Once I get FreeBSD booted, it seems to be unable to save configuration
settings (via boot from boot -c), I boot -c the box, configure PNP and other
devices, quit, and it goes throught the normal boot. If I shut down, then
the next time I boot I have to go through the boot -c sequence and
reconfigure all those devices again.

Things used to work fine in 2.2.8, it's only been since I upgraded to 3.1
that I'm seeing this behavior.

Anyone have any ideas on what I need to fix?

...arun

2. Encrypting existing ext3 partition "on-the-fly"??

3. Windows 3.1 Dialup Connection to SAMBA On Linux

4. Using Both cpus in a Sparc-20

5. Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98

6. HACMP : How to setup a rotating environment?

7. Samba file timestamp policy with Linux client .vs. Windows client

8. 5 min to get xwindows

9. FreeBSD 3.1 RELEASE to snapshot 3.1 STABLE question

10. Installed 3.1. Have questions (not only about 3.1)

11. [RFC] [2.5 i386] GCC 3.1 -march support, PPRO_FENCE reduction, prefetch fixes and other CPU-related changes

12. COMMERCIAL: Authenticate Windows 95 and Windows 3.1 users off UNIX without Novell or NT

13. X windows vs MS-windows 3.1 (MS wins)