Win98/Linux network - Help

Post by horsema » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 08:25:30

I know next to nothing about Linux / redhat / Kmail etc. However I do need
to network a Linux box as a server to my host Win98 machine. I have muddled
around with it all so much I am sure I have missed something simple.

At the moment I can Ping the Linux box from the host, even transfer data
across. What I cannot do is access the internet from the linux box. Any
hints on what I have missed (bear in mind you might have to 'walk' me
through a few options!). Is it likely to be something fom Win98? Or have I
enabled something that should be disabled? In othr words give me a few
things to double check! Sorry for sounding ignorant, just that I am!

Win98/Linux network - Help

Post by Patrick McDonnel » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 10:20:45

> I know next to nothing about Linux / redhat / Kmail etc. However I do need
> to network a Linux box as a server to my host Win98 machine. I have muddled
> around with it all so much I am sure I have missed something simple.

What are you hosting?

Quote:> At the moment I can Ping the Linux box from the host, even transfer data
> across. What I cannot do is access the internet from the linux box. Any
> hints on what I have missed (bear in mind you might have to 'walk' me
> through a few options!). Is it likely to be something fom Win98? Or have I
> enabled something that should be disabled? In othr words give me a few
> things to double check! Sorry for sounding ignorant, just that I am!

How do you connect to the internet?  Dial-up?  Cable Modem?

We'll need some more info to work with.

Win98/Linux network - Help

Post by horsema » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 20:08:42

> > I know next to nothing about Linux / redhat / Kmail etc. However I do
need
> > to network a Linux box as a server to my host Win98 machine. I have
muddled
> > around with it all so much I am sure I have missed something simple.

> What are you hosting?

eh? see not technical me! The Win98 is the host, the linux box as a server

Quote:> > At the moment I can Ping the Linux box from the host, even transfer data
> > across. What I cannot do is access the internet from the linux box. Any
> > hints on what I have missed (bear in mind you might have to 'walk' me
> > through a few options!). Is it likely to be something fom Win98? Or have
> > enabled something that should be disabled? In othr words give me a few
> > things to double check! Sorry for sounding ignorant, just that I am!

> How do you connect to the internet?  Dial-up?  Cable Modem?

dial-up
Quote:

> We'll need some more info to work with.

Win98/Linux network - Help

Post by ChunH » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 07:57:15

Quote:> I know next to nothing about Linux / redhat / Kmail etc. However I do need
> to network a Linux box as a server to my host Win98 machine. I have
muddled
> around with it all so much I am sure I have missed something simple.

> At the moment I can Ping the Linux box from the host, even transfer data
> across. What I cannot do is access the internet from the linux box. Any
> hints on what I have missed (bear in mind you might have to 'walk' me
> through a few options!). Is it likely to be something fom Win98? Or have I
> enabled something that should be disabled? In othr words give me a few
> things to double check! Sorry for sounding ignorant, just that I am!

Have you do IP masquerade?  The IP Masquerade feature allows other
"internal" computers connected to the Linux box (via PPP, Ethernet, etc.) to
also reach the Internet as well.

You're better check it first.

Win98/Linux network - Help

Post by horsema » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:48:28

Thanks for the advice guys, in the end reinstalling ICS on the host seems to
have sorted it

Quote:> I know next to nothing about Linux / redhat / Kmail etc. However I do need
> to network a Linux box as a server to my host Win98 machine. I have
muddled
> around with it all so much I am sure I have missed something simple.

> At the moment I can Ping the Linux box from the host, even transfer data
> across. What I cannot do is access the internet from the linux box. Any
> hints on what I have missed (bear in mind you might have to 'walk' me
> through a few options!). Is it likely to be something fom Win98? Or have I
> enabled something that should be disabled? In othr words give me a few
> things to double check! Sorry for sounding ignorant, just that I am!

1. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

Here is my home/office setup:

Machine 1: SUSE 6.0 set up as a simple file server using Samba 2.x.
Machine 2: Win98
Connected via FastEthernet.

If I copy a directory (~300MB) from Win98 to Linux box via Samba takes about 6 minutes... if I go the other way, takes 96 minutes!

I have both hosts/ips pointing to each other in their respective hosts files so DNS should not be a problem.

I'm still new at this so any help would be appreciated.

- Mark

2. Persisting Hard Drive Problem

3. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux

4. ANNOUNCE: Dynamic Process Tree display in Motif

5. Pl. HELP with Linux-win98 network

6. Trident TGUI9440agi

7. Help Setting up Win98 / Linux Network

8. Netscape, MoveMail, Autocheck Messages?

9. Networking Win98 box & Linux box (help)

10. *Newbie* help with Win98/Linux networking

11. Simple Linux-Win98 networking made - I can probably help you if you are interested

12. linux/win98 network help

13. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box