Cable modem sharing

Post by UUUU » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Is it possible to share a cable modem connection between a Linux computer
and a Windows computer using only one network card in the Linux one...
The thing I want is to use a hub to connect to other computers to the Linux
one...

      ----------
         hub
      ----------
     /    |    \
    /     |     \
  Linux  cable  Windows

I think it would be possible if I had a fix cable IP adress... But I have to
use DHCP for the cable. So is it still possible ? without having to
reconfigure the Windows machine each time the cable IP changes ?

many thanx in advance

Cable modem sharing

Post by Jonathan Karra » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You can make your windows box use the IP range 192.168.1.x and have your
linux box use your cablemodem's IP and then setup ipmasqerading on your
linux box to allow masqerading of the 192.168.1.x subnet over your
cablemode ip.

Jonathan

> Is it possible to share a cable modem connection between a Linux computer
> and a Windows computer using only one network card in the Linux one...
> The thing I want is to use a hub to connect to other computers to the Linux
> one...

>       ----------
>          hub
>       ----------
>      /    |    \
>     /     |     \
>   Linux  cable  Windows

> I think it would be possible if I had a fix cable IP adress... But I have to
> use DHCP for the cable. So is it still possible ? without having to
> reconfigure the Windows machine each time the cable IP changes ?

> many thanx in advance

Cable modem sharing

Post by Arjan Driem » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>You can make your windows box use the IP range 192.168.1.x and have your
>linux box use your cablemodem's IP and then setup ipmasqerading on your
>linux box to allow masqerading of the 192.168.1.x subnet over your
>cablemode ip.

Doesn't he has to change the picture a bit too? Like

Linux ------ hub ------ windows

cable

Can even use a crossover cable btw.

Arjan
--
Slashdot: News for nerds. Stuff that matters.
http://www.slashdot.org

Cable modem sharing

Post by aschl.. » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>>You can make your windows box use the IP range 192.168.1.x and have your
>>linux box use your cablemodem's IP and then setup ipmasqerading on your
>>linux box to allow masqerading of the 192.168.1.x subnet over your
>>cablemode ip.
> Doesn't he has to change the picture a bit too? Like
> Linux ------ hub ------ windows
> |

> cable
> Can even use a crossover cable btw.
> Arjan
> --
> Slashdot: News for nerds. Stuff that matters.
> http://www.slashdot.org

This setup requires that the Linux gateway system has two NICs in it.
One to connect it to the cable modem and the other to connect it to the
hub. A good set of ipchain firewall rules should be setup between the internal
and external networks to minimize the risk of getting hacked.

This article has a good example of IP Masquerading firewall rules.

http://linuxgazette.com/issue46/pollman.html

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer

Cable modem sharing

Post by Jonathan Karra » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You can do the setup he wants with out two NIC's he just needs to setup
eth0 to be the cablemodem IP and then eth0:1 to be in the 192.168.1.0
range. I used to use the single NIC setup at school to let our computers
in computer Tech use the internet while only stealing one IP from the
school. Because before they were noticing when 10 IP's had conflicts.

Jonathan

> >>You can make your windows box use the IP range 192.168.1.x and have your
> >>linux box use your cablemodem's IP and then setup ipmasqerading on your
> >>linux box to allow masqerading of the 192.168.1.x subnet over your
> >>cablemode ip.

> > Doesn't he has to change the picture a bit too? Like

> > Linux ------ hub ------ windows
> > |

> > cable

> > Can even use a crossover cable btw.

> > Arjan
> > --
> > Slashdot: News for nerds. Stuff that matters.
> > http://www.slashdot.org

> This setup requires that the Linux gateway system has two NICs in it.
> One to connect it to the cable modem and the other to connect it to the
> hub. A good set of ipchain firewall rules should be setup between the internal
> and external networks to minimize the risk of getting hacked.

> This article has a good example of IP Masquerading firewall rules.

> http://linuxgazette.com/issue46/pollman.html

> Tony

> --
> Anthony Schlemmer

Cable modem sharing

Post by UUUU » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Is it possible to share a cable modem connection between a Linux computer
and a Windows computer using only one network card in the Linux one...
The thing I want is to use a hub to connect to other computers to the Linux
one...

       ----------
          hub
       ----------
      /    |    \
     /     |     \
   Linux  cable  Windows

I think it would be possible if I had a fix cable IP adress... But I have to
use DHCP for the cable. So is it still possible ? without having to
reconfigure the Windows machine each time the cable IP changes ?

many thanx in advance

Cable modem sharing

Post by Bit Twist » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

With my cable modem, I have to reset the cable modem any time
the Network Interface Card (NIC) changes. Do not see your setup
working without you buying a second IP address.

Here is a little satire I send to people with your setup.

Hey, go ahead and plug you cable into the uplink port.

Here are the advantages:
     Everyone else on your cable can see traffic from ALL your machines.
     Crackers can get to all machines at high speed.
     Keeps the ISP Gateway busyer filtering out your intermachine packets.
     keeps the bandwidth to gateway from being as fast as it might be.
     much easier for Trojans to call home.
     You get to put firewalls on all machines instead of just one.

 (anyone junp in here, those were the only advantages I could think of offhand)

Do not look at the following news groups, you will deny yourself hours
of fun that other people have had.
        comp.security.firewalls:
        comp.security.misc:
        comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security!
        microsoft.public.winnt50.beta.security!

Oh, and do not look here on how to set up your network
http://www.i2.i-2000.com/~datamedc/TRANSFER/Cable_modem_share_diag.gif
http://www.timhiggins.com

--
The warrenty and liability expired as you read the message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

Cable modem sharing

Post by Burton M. Strauss II » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it possible to share a cable modem connection between a Linux computer
>and a Windows computer using only one network card in the Linux one...
>The thing I want is to use a hub to connect to other computers to the Linux
>one...

>       ----------
>          hub
>       ----------
>      /    |    \
>     /     |     \
>   Linux  cable  Windows

No

Either buy a 2nd IP address ($5/month?)
Or a 2nd NIC ($20) and configure the Linux box using masquerade

-----Burton

Cable modem sharing

Post by Ken Johnso » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Not only this, but your Winders machines can share their files and
printers with the world.
K.

> With my cable modem, I have to reset the cable modem any time
> the Network Interface Card (NIC) changes. Do not see your setup
> working without you buying a second IP address.

> Here is a little satire I send to people with your setup.

> Hey, go ahead and plug you cable into the uplink port.

> Here are the advantages:
>      Everyone else on your cable can see traffic from ALL your machines.
>      Crackers can get to all machines at high speed.
>      Keeps the ISP Gateway busyer filtering out your intermachine packets.
>      keeps the bandwidth to gateway from being as fast as it might be.
>      much easier for Trojans to call home.
>      You get to put firewalls on all machines instead of just one.

>  (anyone junp in here, those were the only advantages I could think of offhand)

> Do not look at the following news groups, you will deny yourself hours
> of fun that other people have had.
>         comp.security.firewalls:
>         comp.security.misc:
>         comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security!
>         microsoft.public.winnt50.beta.security!

> Oh, and do not look here on how to set up your network
> http://www.i2.i-2000.com/~datamedc/TRANSFER/Cable_modem_share_diag.gif
> http://www.timhiggins.com

> >Is it possible to share a cable modem connection between a Linux computer
> >and a Windows computer using only one network card in the Linux one...
> >The thing I want is to use a hub to connect to other computers to the Linux
> >one...

> >       ----------
> >          hub
> >       ----------
> >      /    |    \
> >     /     |     \
> >   Linux  cable  Windows

> >I think it would be possible if I had a fix cable IP adress... But I have to
> >use DHCP for the cable. So is it still possible ? without having to
> >reconfigure the Windows machine each time the cable IP changes ?

> >many thanx in advance

> --
> The warrenty and liability expired as you read the message.
> If the above breaks your system, it's yours and you keep both pieces.
> Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.
> Do a,  man every_command_here, before doing anything or running a script.

1. Linux / Win98 file sharing, cable modem sharing

Hi... I have 3 computers...  one with RedHat6...... and two with Windows
98....currently I am sharing my cable modem between the two win98 machines
using WinGate.  Could I do the same thing with the Linux box using WinGate
off the Win98 box? Let me put it this way:

Can I share a modem connection between a Windows machine and a Linux machine
via WinGate?

If not, I am willing to use the Linux box as the primary host....but I don't
know how to configure it to share the connection.  Any ideas, comments,
suggestions, links, etc etc would be greatly appreciated =)

Thanks,

-Dave-

=-=-=

http://tweaking.cjb.net
=-=-=

2. Help w/ new SDSL network

3. Cable Modem Sharing

4. Help deciphering hard disk related error messages?

5. Oneway cable modem sharing

6. mmap /dev/zero

7. Cable modem sharing question

8. Mounting DOS partition with Ontrack Disk Manager

9. Cable modem sharing problems

10. Cable modem sharing with Windows

11. Cool cable modem sharing

12. Cable Modem Sharing with Linux Slakware 3.6 Help

13. Cable modem + shared T1 + dummynet?