PPP: Not 8 bit clean

Post by Samuel G. Willia » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have been attempting to set up my work machine which is a Gateway P5-100
running Linux v2.0 as a ppp server. My intent is to have my home machine,
a Compaq Pentium 100 connect using ppp through a dialup connection. I have
followed all guidelines for setting this up and it normally connects and
appears to negotiate up to a point then I receive an error message saying
the connection is "NOT 8 BIT CLEAN" and then it terminates.

I have re-examined all the ppp information for Linux that I can find on
the net and I find nothing discussing the need for an 8 bit clean  line or
how to remedy the problem when it exists. I have even broken down and
downloaded the RFC for PPP in an attempt to isolate the problem.

Unfortunately I am at an impasse. What does this mean???
I would appreciate any and all commentary on how to properly fix this
problem.

Thanks in advance!!!

PPP: Not 8 bit clean

Post by CJS » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I have been attempting to set up my work machine which is a Gateway P5-100
> running Linux v2.0 as a ppp server. My intent is to have my home machine,
> a Compaq Pentium 100 connect using ppp through a dialup connection. I have
> followed all guidelines for setting this up and it normally connects and
> appears to negotiate up to a point then I receive an error message saying
> the connection is "NOT 8 BIT CLEAN" and then it terminates.

> I have re-examined all the ppp information for Linux that I can find on
> the net and I find nothing discussing the need for an 8 bit clean  line or
> how to remedy the problem when it exists. I have even broken down and
> downloaded the RFC for PPP in an attempt to isolate the problem.

> Unfortunately I am at an impasse. What does this mean???
> I would appreciate any and all commentary on how to properly fix this
> problem.

> Thanks in advance!!!

I'm having Similar problems using a linux client to dial into an rna
protected cisco router. The kernel messages indicate that the line is
not 8-bit clean. Have tried disabling compression options etc. Have
tried dialing in with dip, chat and also using minicom. Do the
characteristics of the terminal session which initiates the ppp session
affect the line characteristics?
Thanks in advance.
CJS.

PPP: Not 8 bit clean

Post by Michele Bares » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I'm having Similar problems using a linux client to dial into an rna
> protected cisco router. The kernel messages indicate that the line is
> not 8-bit clean. Have tried disabling compression options etc. Have
> tried dialing in with dip, chat and also using minicom. Do the
> characteristics of the terminal session which initiates the ppp session
> affect the line characteristics?
> Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem too. Are you using standard ppp-on script?
After trying all "scientific" solutions with no good result I tried
running pppd with the connect option to run the chat script...and gift..
it started to work!!!
I hope this can help you too.

Bye _Michy_

1. ppp not 8-bit clean

pppd[712]: Serial connection established.
pppd[712]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[712]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
pppd[712]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
pppd[712]: Connection terminated.
pppd[712]: Connect time 0.6 minutes.
pppd[712]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
pppd[712]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
pppd[712]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
pppd[712]: Exit.

This was taken directly from C|Net.  It had a useless response.  I went
to the bunk links and did the fake downloads and got no results; thus
bunk and fake.  I had the same problem.  I found another listing for
this, not by the lines above, but by description here on deja.  To the
effect that you connect to your provider, you can hear noise over the
line if you pick-up the phone, but if you try to use Netscape /
whatever browser, or chat, etc.... you will get error messages and no
connection.  I used Kppp to dial and watched the log-window and what is
above is the resuld, cept my connection doesn't hang-up or exit.  It is
a generic 28.8, 33.6, or 56K ISA modem.  Gateway G6-450, STB Velocity
4400 (16 MB Ram), D-Link DFE 530-TX, Intel Lan 8/16, 64 MB 100MhZ PC
100 SDRAM, onboard ESS (SoundBlaster) audio, TV98 card, Philips 2x
burner, floppy drive, and the works.

Also, on that or my 166, the zip won't install during installation (RHL
6.0) where if the printer (HP 895CSE) is chain-linked to it, it is
detected, a disk is in the zip drive as recommended, but even after
install it won't detect and I can't get it configured.  A link to a
page or something would help w/ this.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  Thanks for
the time; and for hearing me ramble.

Chip Avach (RHL 6.0)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. passwd sucks, how do I get around it?

3. Problem connecting using ppp (not 8-bit clean?)

4. BUG? ide1 working in 1.2.8 broken in 1.3.73

5. PPP not 8-bit clean

6. installation

7. Documentation / code sample wanted.

8. PPP Not 8-Bit Clean What Give

9. pppd 8 bit clean error when the ISP is 8 bit clean

10. PPP connection fail Reason: ..not 8 bit clean...all had even parit

11. PPP dies after modem 8 bit not clean

12. ppp problems: link not 8 bit clean?