ipmasqadm+ipportfw+redhat 6.2 on a sparc classic

ipmasqadm+ipportfw+redhat 6.2 on a sparc classic

Post by Jeff Can » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have redhat 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14) installed on a sun sparc classic.  I
am using it as a server for some internal masq'd clients (win95/98
machines).  I have the firewall configured per the ipchains/ipmasq
howto's, and most things are working (i.e. win mail clients, netscape,
news reader, etc...)  I now want to get napster and icq working.  My
questions are:

(1) I keep seeing references to IPMASQADM and IPPORTFW.  Neither of
these were installed on my machine (redhat default install), and I
can't seem to find these tools for anything but i386 architecture.
Can i grab the i386 rpms anyway and use those or are these tools
hardware dependent in which case am i out of luck?

(2) I also see references to a separate icq module so that the above
tools aren't needed (at least for icq clients).  Will this module run
on sparc architecture?  I emailed the author and never got a response
back.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I suppose i could
just get it and try, but i'd rather know ahead of time.

thx in advance,
jeff

ipmasqadm+ipportfw+redhat 6.2 on a sparc classic

Post by Alai » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>(1) I keep seeing references to IPMASQADM and IPPORTFW.  Neither of
>these were installed on my machine (redhat default install), and I
>can't seem to find these tools for anything but i386 architecture.
>Can i grab the i386 rpms anyway and use those or are these tools
>hardware dependent in which case am i out of luck?

For redhat it is "ipvsadm" in the /usr/sbin dir. It's quite thesame as
ipmasqadm.
They're both tools to get ports on the NAT-router point to internal servers.

Quote:>(2) I also see references to a separate icq module so that the above
>tools aren't needed (at least for icq clients).  Will this module run
>on sparc architecture?  I emailed the author and never got a response
>back.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I suppose i could
>just get it and try, but i'd rather know ahead of time.

Actually I've seen them too ;-)
but honestly...I never used them since Rehdat 6.0.
Personally I don't change anything on Redhat box. On the Windows machines  I
set in ICQ "Preferences - Connections" the option "I'm using a permanent
internet connection - I'm behind a firewall or proxy... Then in settings
select "no SOCKS proxy" and then choose all default settings...
everything works for me..even chat, file (incoming and outgoing)...

I'm running RH on x86 machines..so there could be differences

Greetings.

Post by Rick Matthe » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>(1) I keep seeing references to IPMASQADM and IPPORTFW.  Neither of
>these were installed on my machine (redhat default install), and I
>can't seem to find these tools for anything but i386 architecture.
>Can i grab the i386 rpms anyway and use those or are these tools
>hardware dependent in which case am i out of luck?

Port forwarding is already there. See:

http://www.monmouth.demon.co.uk/ipsubs/portfw-2.2.html

--
Always remember:
<http://mysite.directlink.net/matthews/smiles/started.htm>

1. iproute2 ipmasqadm nat ipnat ipportfw ipautofw ipmasqadm

Hi !

Could anyone point me to a document witch synthezies the available nat tools ?
Explaining the pros and cons of each of these tools :
iproute2 (ip route add nat)
ipmasqadm (portfw autofw mfw)
ipnat (with the new netfilter package).

In fact I'm confused about all theses commands witch can do the same thing ...
for example for 2.4 kernels iproute2 ... ipnat ...

I'm using 2.0, and 2.2 kernels witch tools should I use ?

David ROBERT.

2. boot error: "no BIOS32 extensions present..."

3. Portforwarding with RedHat 6.2 and ipmasqadm

4. where can download the mutual exclusion algorithm about distributed operating?

5. Neet Help setting up ipmasqadm w/ RedHat 6.2

6. Problems with FrontPanel and Workspace Menu

7. Newbie: RedHat 6.2 install fails on Sparc

8. Please give me some info about timers

9. Apache/1.3.12 on Sun Sparc with RedHat 6.2

10. Does anyone run RedHat 6.2 Sparc Linux using Solaris emulation?

11. Redhat 6.2 on headless sparc

12. d2Mac on sparc with redhat 6.2

13. RedHat 6.2 in SPARC Parallel CD Rom Install