Howto configure dhcpd?

Post by Algue » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 01:53:02

I have two network cards on my linux server:
eth0 - ISDN connection (DHCP Client)
eht1 - 172.16.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)

In my subnet, the computers are clients for my DHCP server (172.16.1.1).
This server is also a gateway to the Internet, and the eth0 should have a
valid IP on Internet.

How should I configure my DHCP server for my subnet and avoid conflict in
eth0? Or, should I have to make some extra configure on my eth0, to obtain
the IP from the correct DHCP server?

Thanks
[]s Augusto Oliveira

Howto configure dhcpd?

Post by Simon W » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:24:31

Hello,

You need to install the dhcpd related RPM. The edit the file
/etc/dhcpd.conf. Make sure the DNS is the same as your ISDN's. Use
172.16.1.1 as the default gateway. Then start "/usr/sbin/dhcpd -cf
/etc/dhcpd.conf eth1".

If you want you internal subnet machines to be also able to access the
internet, you need to have IP forwarding and IP MASQUERADING running in you
server. Please refer to the IP masq howto.

Simon

Quote:> I have two network cards on my linux server:
> eth0 - ISDN connection (DHCP Client)
> eht1 - 172.16.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)

> In my subnet, the computers are clients for my DHCP server (172.16.1.1).
> This server is also a gateway to the Internet, and the eth0 should have a
> valid IP on Internet.

> How should I configure my DHCP server for my subnet and avoid conflict in
> eth0? Or, should I have to make some extra configure on my eth0, to obtain
> the IP from the correct DHCP server?

> Thanks
> []s Augusto Oliveira

Howto configure dhcpd?

Post by Rich » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 12:35:05

interactivebastile would do the trick there for him.
http://www.bastille-linux.org/
if u dont already have it try it out.