POP-before-SMTP/log2db/RH 6.2/Sendmail 8.11/Cyrus-SASL

POP-before-SMTP/log2db/RH 6.2/Sendmail 8.11/Cyrus-SASL

Post by Alan Bak » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:49:41

Hello.  My mail server has RH 6.2, Sendmail 8.11, Procmail, and UW POP
and IMAP.  I want to prevent spam relays while continuing to provide
POP and IMAP service.  For this combination Sendmail recommends using
either POP-before SMTP or Cyrus-SASL.  Neither of these are thoroughly
documented and tested under RH 6.2 (2.2 kernel).  I am not in a
position to upgrade to 7.x (2.4 kernel) nor convert to postfix, so I'm
seeking a bit of help...

Has anyone out there successfully implemented either POP-before-SMTP
via log2db or Cyrus-SASL in a RH 6.2 environment like mine?
AdvTHANKSance.

  Alan

POP-before-SMTP/log2db/RH 6.2/Sendmail 8.11/Cyrus-SASL

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 07:54:33

31 January 2002 08:49:

Quote:> Hello.  My mail server has RH 6.2, Sendmail 8.11, Procmail, and UW
> POP
> and IMAP.  I want to prevent spam relays while continuing to provide
> POP and IMAP service.  For this combination Sendmail recommends
> using
> either POP-before SMTP or Cyrus-SASL.  Neither of these are
> thoroughly
> documented and tested under RH 6.2 (2.2 kernel).  I am not in a
> position to upgrade to 7.x (2.4 kernel) nor convert to postfix, so
> I'm seeking a bit of help...

What has the sendmail version to do with the kernel you are running?

AFAIK sendmail 8.11 supports STARTTLS/AUTH, usable for roaming user,
the pop before SMTP hack works too, even if it's not that easy, check:

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca

However, the primary ng for sendmail related question:
comp.mail.sendmail

Be sure to read the docs, before you ask...

Good luck

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

POP-before-SMTP/log2db/RH 6.2/Sendmail 8.11/Cyrus-SASL

Post by Michael Erski » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 11:27:02

Alan;

Upgrade.

-m-

Post by Simon Matthew » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 13:54:27

Quote:> Hello.  My mail server has RH 6.2, Sendmail 8.11, Procmail, and UW POP
> and IMAP.  I want to prevent spam relays while continuing to provide
> POP and IMAP service.  For this combination Sendmail recommends using
> either POP-before SMTP or Cyrus-SASL.  Neither of these are thoroughly
> documented and tested under RH 6.2 (2.2 kernel).  I am not in a
> position to upgrade to 7.x (2.4 kernel) nor convert to postfix, so I'm
> seeking a bit of help...

Could I ask why you cannot convert to Postfix? Postfix is easy to configure
and files such as alias files are compatible. There is also a
pop-before-smtp daemon available for Postfix which works with just about all
the popular POP and IMAP daemons. I have even managed to get it running in a
configuration where the POP server is on a different machine.

Remember, for POP-before-SMTP, you need to check for successful logins, not
just connections!

Simon