NameServer

Post by Erik T. Burges » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Need a bit of help.  I work at an ISP and have recently set up our first
Linux Box, RedHat 5.2.  I have used a different domain name and set the
linux box up as a NS for an alternate domain.  The problem is, I can't
reverse my DNS.  So what I did, was add a reverse entry into the NS1 and
NS2 of the ISP.  NS1 and NS2 are both MACs.  The problem is, when I do a
reverse lookup from outside of the alternate domain name, I get a
non-authorative response.  Also, when going out from the box, the domain
doesn't get reversed.  I've talked to the people that we lease our class
c from and they have said that what we have going should work right....
maybe I missed something in the dox.. but any comments/input would be
appreciated.

Erik

NameServer

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Need a bit of help.

You need to give hard facts.  Put all relevent information (config
files, zone files and so on) in a directory somewhere and post the
URL.

Quote:>  I work at an ISP and have recently set up our first
> Linux Box, RedHat 5.2.  I have used a different domain name and set the
> linux box up as a NS for an alternate domain.

OK so far.

Quote:> The problem is, I can't reverse my DNS.

What does this mean?

Quote:>  So what I did, was add a reverse entry into the NS1 and
> NS2 of the ISP.

Hang on you _are_ the ISP aren't you?

Quote:>  NS1 and NS2 are both MACs.

Hmmm....

Quote:>  The problem is, when I do a
> reverse lookup from outside of the alternate domain name, I get a
> non-authorative response.

Why is this a problem?

Quote:>  Also, when going out from the box, the domain
> doesn't get reversed.

What does this mean?  Shot in the dark - it's finding itself in /etc/hosts.

Quote:>  I've talked to the people that we lease our class
> c from and they have said that what we have going should work right....

I agree that it is possilbe to interpret your description above as
having done the right thing, but really it's all way to vague.

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |

1. gethostbyname from my nameserver ?

Hello,

 I am trying to get "gethostbyname" talk to the name server that I
specify and give me a result. I tried to set the global _res structure
with my nameserver's address. It does not work.
 I tried the same thing with a res_query or a res_search, it works. I
also understand that gethostbyname uses res_search internally.

Is there any thing else I need to do, other than the following ?

 _res.nsaddr.sin_addr = <my host Ip address>;
 _res.nsaddr.sin_port = hton(53);
 _res.nscount=1;
 hp = gethostbyname(host);

I appreciate any suggestions. BTW, I am on a Solaris 2.x box.

Frank.

2. what's ppp0?

3. How do I adjust MMDF's nameserver timeout?

4. StarView

5. Caching nameserver causes delay in sending mail

6. Any people have device driver for 8255 IO Card?

7. Nameserver over PPP?

8. tcsh 6.03 compile problem...

9. named and nameservers.

10. csh,tcsh and nameserver

11. Linux nameserver problems with SLIP

12. Nameserver - Is it possible to return always the same IP?

13. nameserver not available, Linux network goes down