kppp vs wvdial

Post by Klaus Maye » Tue, 08 May 2001 19:13:05

It would be great if someone could let me know why my dial up connection
with kppp is much slower than with wvdial. I have the same
initialization strings, but when I use wvdial from the commandline I get
higher transfer rates and better response in Browsers than with kppp.

This doesn't make sense to me when I initialize the modem with the same
strings.

kppp vs wvdial

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 08 May 2001 19:16:47

Hi!,

Quote:> It would be great if someone could let me know why my dial up connection
> with kppp is much slower than with wvdial. I have the same
> initialization strings, but when I use wvdial from the commandline I get
> higher transfer rates and better response in Browsers than with kppp.

> This doesn't make sense to me when I initialize the modem with the same
> strings.

Check to make sure that the other data relating to the various links is the
same including options such as the MTU and MTA values.

See ya

Dean Thompson

kppp vs wvdial

Post by Clifford Kit » Tue, 08 May 2001 22:50:41

> It would be great if someone could let me know why my dial up
> connection with kppp is much slower than with wvdial. I have the same
> initialization strings, but when I use wvdial from the commandline
> I get higher transfer rates and better response in Browsers than
> with kppp.
> This doesn't make sense to me when I initialize the modem with the
> same strings.

Both wvdial and kppp are frontends to pppd.  Just because you supply a
modem string to a configuration program for these doesn't mean that it
configures only those strings.  The device file configuration (/dev/ttySx)
can be fouled up by one of the configurations.  Pppd modem to computer
speed can be different (pppd speed option).  Small MTU and/or MRU (pppd
options mtu and mru) can restrict speed somewhat.  (I have no idea what
another poster meant by MTA but, whatever he meant, it is very doubtful
that it would apply to a regular PPP connection.)

If this really concerns you then you'll have to post more details in
the form of option files, device file configuration, chat -v (or use
the equivalent verbose option for the frontend's dialer) and pppd debug
log messages.  Exact copies, with timestamps, not hand copies.

You also need to be more specific about "higher transfer rates," which
is too subjective.   Use pppstats to measure an FTP download for each
frontend to get hard numbers.

--

/* A salute to Inspector Baynes, of the Surry Constabulary, the only
   police Inspector to ever best Mr. Sherlock Holmes at his own game.

1. wvdial works, kppp doesn't !

Hi,

I am having trouble with kppp under SuSE 6.2. My system is as follows.

Celeron 333
Gigabyte GA-6BXE motherboard
voodoo 3 2000 AGP graphics card
linux installed on hda with win98 on hdb
Topic 56k external modem on com1

Having installed linux, I tried to make a dial up connection. Using wvdial,
after setting
up my username, password, IP address etc... I had no trouble making a PPP
conection
with my service provider.

So far so good.

Then tried the same with kppp (1.16.10 I think, on KDE 1.1.1), but I always
end up with
the message 'NO CARRIER' before any number is dialled. Can anyone suggest
what could be
the problem. I haven't made any special changes to wither program.

Thanks

Chris

Remove 'nospam.' to reply

P.S. I can attempt to post my config files, but when I do, my modem hangs
(in win98 AND linux)!!

2. IDE corruption during heavy bt878-induced interrupt load

3. wvdial and kppp flaw

4. CPU/Motherboard Recommentations

5. Newbie wvdial & kppp questions

6. rpm problem

7. Can't Open Display After KPPP (Fine with Wvdial)

8. WindowMaker 0.52.0 problems with Debian 2.1

9. Diald, kppp and wvdial

10. Kppp and wvdial

11. kppp - won't connect to my ISP, but wvdial will

12. wvdial works, kppp doesn't!

13. wvdial, PAP, pppd dies after wvdial connects