newbie: trouble activating linux pc on (MS) home network

newbie: trouble activating linux pc on (MS) home network

Post by res09ro » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:16:53

Hi - I've just installed SuSE 7.1 (Linux Kernel 2.4, dual boot with WinME)
on a workstation on my home network.  The (YaST2) installation went
smoothly, however, I can't access the internet or other entities on the LAN
from the Linux pc (either via DNS or even specifying IP address in form
http://192.168.xxx.xxx).  The Windows PCs continue to operate properly, and
the dual-boot linux PC also works when booted in Windows mode, but not when
booted to linux.

The network consists of Verizon ADSL with Dynamic IP assignment, Fugitsu
ADSL modem, a Linksys broadband gateway (4 port Router/LAN Switch) and 4
Pentium class PCs.

The network is set up to use DHCP server on the Linksys router, with each PC
configured for IP assignment via DHCP.  I had assumed that the DHCP client
on the linux box works with the DHCP server on the Linksys router the same
way that the Windows PCs do, and that setup would be similar.  This,
apparently, is a bad assumption.

When I used the YaST2 LAN config wizard to set up the linux PC for dynamic
IP assignment, both network IP and DHCP activation and configuration fails.
When I set up a static IP address for the linux PC, activation and
configuration succeeds -- but when I try to access the net (using Netscape),
either by relying on DNS or even directly specifying an IP address in the
URL, I get a host addressing error.

Sorry for the long post, but I am new to linux and wanted to provide as much
information as possible.  Any help is really appreciated.

newbie: trouble activating linux pc on (MS) home network

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:44:10

Hello,

there is a well written home-networking HOWTO on www.linuxdoc.org,
this should
give you some info, what to do.

Michael Heiming

> Hi - I've just installed SuSE 7.1 (Linux Kernel 2.4, dual boot with WinME)
> on a workstation on my home network.  The (YaST2) installation went
> smoothly, however, I can't access the internet or other entities on the LAN
> from the Linux pc (either via DNS or even specifying IP address in form
> http://192.168.xxx.xxx).  The Windows PCs continue to operate properly, and
> the dual-boot linux PC also works when booted in Windows mode, but not when
> booted to linux.

> The network consists of Verizon ADSL with Dynamic IP assignment, Fugitsu
> ADSL modem, a Linksys broadband gateway (4 port Router/LAN Switch) and 4
> Pentium class PCs.

> The network is set up to use DHCP server on the Linksys router, with each PC
> configured for IP assignment via DHCP.  I had assumed that the DHCP client
> on the linux box works with the DHCP server on the Linksys router the same
> way that the Windows PCs do, and that setup would be similar.  This,
> apparently, is a bad assumption.

> When I used the YaST2 LAN config wizard to set up the linux PC for dynamic
> IP assignment, both network IP and DHCP activation and configuration fails.
> When I set up a static IP address for the linux PC, activation and
> configuration succeeds -- but when I try to access the net (using Netscape),
> either by relying on DNS or even directly specifying an IP address in the
> URL, I get a host addressing error.

> Sorry for the long post, but I am new to linux and wanted to provide as much
> information as possible.  Any help is really appreciated.

1. linux laptop, linux pc and orinoco usb client silver home network howto?

Hello,
    I hope my subject line doesn't turn everyone off.  This is my
problem.  I have a linux laptop and a dual boot WinXP/Linux PC.  My
ISP provider gives me an Orinoco USB client silver to connect to them
and they know little about Linux.  From what I can tell there are no
Linux drivers for this Orinoco.  I am fine, of course, when the pc is
in WinXP mode, but I prefer Linux and would like to have internet
access when the PC is in Linux mode.  My options seem to be either buy
a different wireless interface (sorry, I am very new to networking and
don't know the proper name), or buy an old windows machine and use it
to connect to the internet.  In the former case, I assume there would
be different wireless interfaces that would work with my ISP's network
(any suggestions?).  However, I do not know which ones would have the
best linux support.  In the latter case, I would not be able to simply
connect my two computers using a wire, and would probably need to get
a router.  I am hoping that I used the term router appropriately.
This has made me wonder if it is possible to just buy the router and
connect it to the Orinoco USB client silver interface?
   So, I obviously have a lot of learning/reading to do.  If someone
could point me in the right direction, and give me an idea of which
course is the best to persue, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Shawn

2. WP LINUX

3. Newbie question: How "network" my linux pc to my win95 pc?

4. Linux w/o graphics/monitor/keyb (headless)

5. Linux/MS-XP home networking question

6. awk question

7. HELP: Best way to setup SUN and Linux and PC's on home network...

8. Print Screen Key sends a quit signal, how is this disabled

9. Home network--Linux, 2 Win 98 PCs, TCP/IP

10. Remote Control of MS Windows PC from a linux PC

11. Home networking question (Long) (Linux newbie)

12. Should I migrate from NT to linux | Newbie, home network!

13. Linux Newbie + Home Network <> Good