Linking two PCs running either DOS/Linux/Window/X

Post by Pat Thoyt » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I am trying to link two PCs running any of the four combinations of the
> operating systems. I either want to link them or run them as a client
> server. I would like to know how this can be done. What is theoretically
> possible and what is practically possible? can I have a X window running
> Microsoft Windows or DOS and vice versa? As many reports of experience
> as possible welcome.

> Thanks a lot!
> lbliao

Firstly - do you really think you have to post to all these newsgroups?
  comp.dcom.lans.ethernet, comp.windows.x, comp.os.linux.setup, comp.os.linux.misc,
  comp.os.linux.x, comp.os.linux.networking, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking

You can get yourself a PLIP / Laplink cable and get the plip packet driver from the
Crynwr packet driver collection and use the linux plip module and you can arrange a
IP connection, point to point between the parallel ports. However, you will probably
find it a great deal easier, and not much more expensive to get a couple of NE2000
compatible ethernet cards and a bit of coaxial cable and go for an ethernet.
In the UK I can pick up second hand NE cards for 5 or 8 pounds each. Setting these up
under linux and Win[(95)|(3.1)] is no problem. You can then use a packet driver to run
various shareware programs (NCSA telnet, Kermit etc) for DOS, or get a winsock for windows
3.1. Win95 will automagically configure the card and if you run Samba on the Linux box
you'll be able to mount file volumes without paying for NFS for Win95.

If you want to run X clients on a windows display - as far as I'm aware you still have to
buy a commercial product. We've got Vista-eXceed with win3.1 and this will happily work
with linux X clients.

A quick note: if you do go for a `home' ethernet - I'd suggest using 192.9.200.x as your
addresses as these are a test domain - and I believe aren't propagated in case you connect
yourself up to a wider lan.

--

Post by Jon Martin Solaa » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I am trying to link two PCs running any of the four combinations of the
> operating systems. I either want to link them or run them as a client
> server. I would like to know how this can be done. What is theoretically
> possible and what is practically possible? can I have a X window running
> Microsoft Windows or DOS and vice versa? As many reports of experience
> as possible welcome.

Everything you mention is theoretically possible, but the part about
Windows programs running in an X window is difficult. I think you'll
need some third party software solution to do that, unless you
actually have X-clients that will run on DOS/Windows and facilitate a
remote X-server. However, check out http://www.x.org and have a look
at Broadway. I don't know what it is, but it looks nice :-) If you get
some sort of telnet daemon for DOS/Win I'm sure you can manage to run
well behaved character mode DOS apps. via telnet in a xterm.

For X-server for DOS and Windows you could check out
http://www.starnet.com, they have working demos available. This way
you can have X programs running on your Linux box and the windows
appear on DOS/Windows.

You'll be using TCP/IP to connect Linux/DOS/Windows. It's not
difficult to configure, but make sure your hardware is working. It's
frustrating to spend hours (you may find yourself spending some time
experimenting if you are not familiar with how you should to this)
with configurations when your hardware is the actual problem (IRQ
conflict, Ethernet terminators, broken net cable etc.). Windows95 has
TCP/IP, but for DOS (and Windows 3.1?) you'll need to get software. I
think you may find something on http://www.microsoft.com.

To access files on the linux system from Windows/DOS and vice versa
you'll need samba. Samba is a program (server) that runs on the linux
machine and makes it look like a NT server, using the smb
protocol. However, if you had a real NT server you'd not need the
TCP/IP protocol to connect at all. Samba uses TCP/IP to emulate smb.
You can also get a program called smbmount that will let you mount
exported directories on the Windows system into the linux filesystem.
An alternative is to use NFS, but then you'll need commercial software
on the DOS/Windows side.

Make sure you have all the relevant HOWTO's and FAQ's available.  Also
read the Linux Networking Guide to get the grasp of the TCP/IP basics.
Get it at LDP: http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/ldp/ or
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/index.html

--
Jon Martin Solaas

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonso

Linking two PCs running either DOS/Linux/Window/X

Post by John Livingsto » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Windows with an x server works fine with linux
> linux to linux is easy  (with or without X11)
> windows to linux using winpkt etc works well

What is winpkt? I assume that it's some sort of networking driver for
windows 3.x?

John

Post by Za » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to link two PCs running any of the four combinations of the
>operating systems. I either want to link them or run them as a client
>server. I would like to know how this can be done. What is theoretically
>possible and what is practically possible? can I have a X window running
>Microsoft Windows or DOS and vice versa? As many reports of experience
>as possible welcome.

what do you mean by X and Linux separately?

Windows with an x server works fine with linux
linux to linux is easy  (with or without X11)
windows to linux using winpkt etc works well
basically, it is all possible, and on the whole esy to set up
what exactly do you want to do?

**********************************
*                                *
*  Zax   last of the Zaxanoids   *
*                                *
**********************************

Post by Za » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> Windows with an x server works fine with linux
>> linux to linux is easy  (with or without X11)
>> windows to linux using winpkt etc works well

>What is winpkt? I assume that it's some sort of networking driver for
>windows 3.x?

this goes with
lsl and ne2000   (or equiv for your card)
then after loading these, in windows you run a winsock (eg trumpet)
and have ethernet access to tcp/ip

**********************************
*                                *
*  Zax   last of the Zaxanoids   *
*                                *
**********************************

1. Linking two PCs running either DOS/Linux/Window/X

[...]

2. cant telnet with SuSE 7.0

3. "make" won't work

4. Please Help!!!Gnomemeeting has crashed two pc's and I can't boot either

5. 3 ethernet cards

6. XDMCP and networked PC's running Lan WorkPlace for Dos and PC-XView

7. SGI-Irix: how to tell if password is expired

8. NEED CROS COMPILER TO PROGRAM POWER PC 603 CHIP FROM PENTIUM PC UNDER DOS OR WINDOWS

9. linking two linux PCs through comm ports

10. Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

11. two dsl connections, two routers, dual nics on linux box , want to run two websites

12. Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS