NIS maps not updating

Post by Derek Suzuk » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

        I'm running ypserv on a Red Hat 5.2 system.  The one significant change
from the default is that the source files are in /etc/yp instead of
/etc.  For the most part, everything runs perfectly.  However, if I
change one of the source files and make the /var/yp/Makefile, NIS does
not reflect the change.
        The dbm files in /var/yp/<domain> do get updated properly, but NIS
clients don't see the changes until I restart ypserv.  Is there any way
for me to change this behavior, or am I just doing something wrong?

Derek

NIS maps not updating

Post by Thorsten Kuku » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

>    I'm running ypserv on a Red Hat 5.2 system.  The one significant change
> from the default is that the source files are in /etc/yp instead of
> /etc.  For the most part, everything runs perfectly.  However, if I
> change one of the source files and make the /var/yp/Makefile, NIS does
> not reflect the change.
>    The dbm files in /var/yp/<domain> do get updated properly, but NIS
> clients don't see the changes until I restart ypserv.  Is there any way
> for me to change this behavior, or am I just doing something wrong?

Seems your Makefile is from ypserv 1.1.x or earlier. Newer ypserv versions
caches the file handles, so you need to call makedbm -c. The right
Makefile does this.

  Thorsten

--

SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg
Linux is like a Vorlon.  It is incredibly powerful, gives terse,

1. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map

Platform: Suse Linux Professional 9.1

Changing a passwd on an NIS client using the passwd command works
fine.  The /etc/shadow and shadow.byname map gets updated on the NIS
server machine.

However, changing a passwd on the NIS server using the passwd command
only updates the /etc/shadow file.  The shadow.byname map does not get
updated.  The only way I can think of to fix this is to set up a cron
job to periodically run
make -C /var/yp

I am using Thorsten Kukuk's pam_unix2.so module which is suppose to be
 "clever" enough to find out whether the account it's dealing with is
local or NIS but it does not appear to work.

Any idea what's wrong?

2. Be a Beta Tester!

3. passwd command does not update shadow.byname NIS map

4. lots of crc errors w/ RH6.1

5. local override of NIS (not NIS+) maps

6. Securelevel Question

7. NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

8. Winmodem installation question again

9. NIS password not updating right away on NIS client running CentOS

10. Update NIS maps on demand problem

11. NIS woes on update of maps

12. Problems updating NIS maps on 3.2.5

13. Update a NIS map thru C program