Windows to Linux Internet Connection Sharing

Windows to Linux Internet Connection Sharing

Post by Rob Pries » Mon, 01 May 2000 04:00:00

I have been using SUSE Linux for a  while now but have recently decided I
would like to use the Internet in Linux rather than Windows.

I dual-boot my system with windows 98 and I have a separate computer
connected to the internet via modem. I currently connect from the computer
with the modem and also via Windows 98's Internet Connection Sharing.

Is there any way I can share the connection in Linux, and if so how? Any
links to HOWTO's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Windows to Linux Internet Connection Sharing

Post by runflyb.. » Mon, 08 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been using SUSE Linux for a  while now but have recently
decided I
> would like to use the Internet in Linux rather than Windows.

> I dual-boot my system with windows 98 and I have a separate computer
> connected to the internet via modem. I currently connect from the
computer
> with the modem and also via Windows 98's Internet Connection Sharing.

> Is there any way I can share the connection in Linux, and if so how?
Any
> links to HOWTO's would be appreciated.

This can be done by accomplishing the following:

1. Install Internet Connection Sharing on the Windows machine.  You can
find help on doing this in Windows help by searching for Internet
Connection Sharing.  Here is what I remember of the process:
 - Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections Tab>Sharing Button:
Select Enable Internet Connection Sharing
You may also want to select Show Icon on Taskbar (helps to confirm it
is working once you get everything configured).
You may need your Win 98 Second Edition CD during this process.

2.  Here are some other details about how I have my Win 98 machine
configured that may help:

  - Start>Control Panel>Network>Configuration Tab:
  - Internet Connection Sharing>Bindings Tab:
       TCP/IP is selected (most important)
       NetBEUI is selected
       Internet Connection Sharing (protocol) is selected
  - TCP/IP->Internet Connection Sharing>IP Address Tab:
       Specify an IP Address: 192.168.0.1 (this does not interfere with
the dynamic address you get from your ISP, it is only for the intranet
you are creating).
       Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0
     - DNS Configuration Tab:
         I entered my computer name and domain (made up) and the DNS
service IP address from my ISP - not sure if this is critical

That should cover the win 98 side of things.

3.  On the Linux side, I am using RedHat Linux 5.2, which had some
helpful X based configuration utilities that simplified the
configuration.  Bottom line is that the Linux machine needs to be
configured to have a fixed IP address between 192.168.0.2 and
192.168.0.253, which are designated as internal address for intranets.
For the Win 98 to be recognized as the gateway and DNS server, you also
need to ensure that /etc/resolv.conf has the Internet Connection
Sharing IP address (which should be 192.168.0.1) of the win 98 SE
machine.

There was still some tinkering I had to do to make this all work, but
those are the major items.  Utilities such as netstat and ping are
useful for troubleshooting the connection.  The bottom line is that it
IS doable, so keep trying.

Hope this helps- Good luck!

Daryl Schuck

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Setting up shared Internet connection with a Linux client with a Windows 2000 server (gateway)

Hi, i am trying to make my Linux box connect to the  internet . In my LAN, I
have a Windows 2000 Server acting as the gateway to the internet. Other
Windows clients are able to connect to the internet through this gateway.
Only the Linux box is not. Can any one out there help me to make this Linux
box connect to the internet through the Windows 2000 server gateway? (P.S:
all systems are connected to a HUB)

Thanks

2. Files in /usr/lib/locale..

3. Linux/windows 95 internet connection sharing DNS problem

4. Via Apollo and OpenServer

5. Sharing Internet Connection Windows 98 SE and Linux

6. IP Filtering Logging

7. Sharing Internet Connection Windows/Linux?

8. Digiboard PC/8 setup--help!

9. Windows/Linux internet connection sharing.

10. Linux / Windows Internet Connection Sharing

11. Linux/FastEthernet/Windows Internet Connection Sharing

12. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

13. Solaris 7 and Windows 98 Internet Connection Sharing