Where can I edit out host name that Netscape looks for when browsing local files

Where can I edit out host name that Netscape looks for when browsing local files

Post by franki » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I use Windows to retrieve entire web pages (graphics, et all) to read them
offline, but cannot read them on my Linux boxes (1 is a laptop) when
offline.
Netscape is complaining that it cannot find the host 'keyword.netscape.com'
or something to that effect.

Two questions:

- How does one make Netscape browse elegantly while off-line?
  (on a plane, etc...)

- Is there a Linux utility that allows to download web pages complete
  with graphics, etc...?

Thanks for info

Post by Tim Hayne » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Two questions:

> - How does one make Netscape browse elegantly while off-line?
>   (on a plane, etc...)

Best bet: install a local nameserver with no forwarders, e.g. make it a
slave to your main nameserver on your LAN; then when you take it walkies,
it'll have something to talk to. Set your homepage to `blank', as well,
btw.

Quote:> - Is there a Linux utility that allows to download web pages complete
>   with graphics, etc...?

Either wget or pavuk - both kick ass :)

~Tim
--

Rushing on down to the sound                    | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org
of a turning world                              |

Where can I edit out host name that Netscape looks for when browsing local files

Post by franki » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
This sounds pretty good. Only problem is I have never set up a DNS server.
Any good reads on the topic besides the HowTo ?
For argument's sake, would not that DNS server complain that
the main server it is referencing to isn't there (on walkies)?

Homepage was setup to 'blank'

Thanks again.

FK

> > Two questions:

> > - How does one make Netscape browse elegantly while off-line?
> >   (on a plane, etc...)

> Best bet: install a local nameserver with no forwarders, e.g. make it a
> slave to your main nameserver on your LAN; then when you take it walkies,
> it'll have something to talk to. Set your homepage to `blank', as well,
> btw.

> > - Is there a Linux utility that allows to download web pages complete
> >   with graphics, etc...?

> Either wget or pavuk - both kick ass :)

> ~Tim
> --
> Clouds cross the black moonlight,               |

Quote:> Rushing on down to the sound                    |

http://piglet.is.dreaming.org

Quote:> of a turning world                              |

Where can I edit out host name that Netscape looks for when browsing local files

Post by franki » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your answer.

I am actually making progress understanding the problem I am having.

When trying to open a file from within Netscape, it takes me to Google
and tries to search for the path of my file as the search subject ....
funny!!
(ex: /mnt/cdrom/xyz_folder/zyx_file.html)

However, if I browse to the file using the GUI file manager and right-click
on it "Open with Netscape" then it works. This would therefore appear to
be a Netscape quirk ? (feature?  :)

Is there not a way to defeat this?

FK

Post by Peter Bloomfiel » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:50:55

> [snip]
> When trying to open a file from within Netscape, it takes me to Google
> and tries to search for the path of my file as the search subject ....
> funny!!
> (ex: /mnt/cdrom/xyz_folder/zyx_file.html)

> [snip]

Do you use ``file:/mnt/cdrom/xyz_folder/zyx_file.html'' or just the path?

1. Host names unmatched when using telnet or rlogin to local hosts

hi all,

we have the following problem here:
first of all, we runs 4.2BSD here on our server "scus1" and
we have a VAX in the next building "scsud".
However, whenever i use telnet or rlogin to scsud, and do a
finger on myself, i always get "scsu1" instead of the correct
one -- scus1.

btw, we're running yp and using csusys.ctstateu.edu as bind server.
could there be a problem over there???
or most likely local problem???

just to kill a couple possibilities of local problems:
i checked /etc/hosts and made sure the spelling is "scus1" -- the
correct one...

the one the VAX, nothing on the incorrect one -- scsu1 -- was found.

any info would be appreciated.

Orphy! :-)

ps.  will that affect the talk too???

2. halt and schedule

3. Confirming DNS name matches local host name

4. Help .... Apache Server 1.3.0 on RH5.0

5. From netscape browser - resolve name of local site yahoo.com to local site on apache

6. Mounting Second Hard Drive?

7. sendmail error: host name look up - where else to look for fix?

8. Step-by-step NIS+ for RedHat-6.1?

9. /var/named/named.hosts file layout

10. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

11. converting host file to named database files

12. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

13. Hosts file--->Domain Name server files?