X server and NFS clients for Windows 95/NT

X server and NFS clients for Windows 95/NT

Post by R. C. Seka » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I am looking for X-servers and NFS clients that would run on my
windows NT machine. I came across an X-server and NFS client from
Hummingbird communications, an X-server from Starnet communications
and another X-server/NFS client combo from Xlink. I would
appreciate hearing about experiences with any of these products,
or the others out there. Since I am on a budget here, I am looking
for inexpensive products. (I have checked out the free MI/X server,
but it does not provide the features I need.)

Please respond by e-mail. I will post a summary of responses
if I get a sufficient number of them.

Thanks in advance,
R. Sekar

Assistant Professor
Computer Science
Iowa State University

Post by Ken L » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

writes:
|> I am looking for X-servers and NFS clients that would run on my
|> windows NT machine. I came across an X-server and NFS client from
|> Hummingbird communications, an X-server from Starnet communications
|> and another X-server/NFS client combo from Xlink. I would
|> appreciate hearing about experiences with any of these products,
|> or the others out there.

My web site lists a couple of dozen X servers for MS-Win
as well as some product reviews.

--
Ken Lee, X/Motif Consulting, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

X server and NFS clients for Windows 95/NT

Post by David Yunc » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Frontier Technologies offers a strong X server which if bought on-line
costs $149.00.  You can learn more about SuperX Server at
superx.frontiertech.com.

If you visit www.frontiertech.com you will find information on our NFS
package called SuperNFS.

David Yunck
Frontier Technologies

>I am looking for X-servers and NFS clients that would run on my
>windows NT machine. I came across an X-server and NFS client from
>Hummingbird communications, an X-server from Starnet communications
>and another X-server/NFS client combo from Xlink. I would
>appreciate hearing about experiences with any of these products,
>or the others out there. Since I am on a budget here, I am looking
>for inexpensive products. (I have checked out the free MI/X server,
>but it does not provide the features I need.)

>Please respond by e-mail. I will post a summary of responses
>if I get a sufficient number of them.

>Thanks in advance,
>R. Sekar

>Assistant Professor
>Computer Science
>Iowa State University

X server and NFS clients for Windows 95/NT

Post by Dotan Dv » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I recently made a very extensive survey regarding X servers.
The main winners were:
1.Distinct X
2,SCO X vision

Of course you may want to try out the free MI/X server.
You can download at www.microimages.com .
No motif or fancy bells but it is best at it's price range.

HTH,
Dotan

[...]

: >

Post by David Fo » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Of course you may want to try out the free MI/X server.
>You can download at www.microimages.com .
>No motif or fancy bells but it is best at it's price range.

Hi

I got MI/X and installed it but when I try to start up an x-conncetion to my
linux box I get :-

# xterm &
TRANS(SocketINETConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111
TRANS(SocketINETConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 192.168.10.1:0

Does anyone know what error 111 is?

I've turned authorisation off ( with xhost + ) so I don't think it's that.
Telnet works, I can ping both the linux and the Win95 boxes from each other,
setting DISPLAY to either 192.168.10.1 or office gives the same message and
ping office gives 192.168.10.1 so I don't think it's routing. I started xdm
and got an X login on the console.

I can't find anything about error messages in any of the man pages I've read
so far.

Any one actually got it working?

Any one had this error message and fixed it?

                         Help!!!

                           Dave

--
D. J. Ford

Hatfield, Herts                          Phone:   +44 (0)1 707 886 095
AL10 0PF, U.K.                           Fax:     +44 (0)1 707 261 836