Linux as webserver

Post by Tapio Nissil » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am planning to start running a webserver on linux os. Could you tell
me what kind of configuration would be best? Apache 1.3 is probably the
easiest (and cheapest) webserver, but what about DNS, FTP and
mailservers? What should I use?

My mailload will not be too heavy, probably 100 mail accounts tops and
10 to 200 mail messages a day.

I am about to run a few small databases, 10 simultaneous users tops. FTP
would be primarily for me (as admin).

I would be very grateful if somebody could help me to get started with
this webserver project. I will define my needs more specifically if
somebody could help. Thanks alot,

Tapio Nissila

Linux as webserver

Post by Dieter Demerr » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I am planning to start running a webserver on linux os. Could you tell
> me what kind of configuration would be best? Apache 1.3 is probably the
> easiest (and cheapest) webserver, but what about DNS, FTP and
> mailservers? What should I use?

Install linux.  It comes with all you need.  DNS (named, bind) wu-ftpd ,
apache, sendmail.  You'd only spend some time configuring the bunch
(while reading the docs)

--
***  Greetings From ****** Groetjes vanwege  ***

http://ace.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~dede/

Linux as webserver

Post by Victor Wagn » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: Hello,

: I am planning to start running a webserver on linux os. Could you tell
: me what kind of configuration would be best? Apache 1.3 is probably the
: easiest (and cheapest) webserver, but what about DNS, FTP and
: mailservers? What should I use?

Just things which come with your distribution.

You should undoubteldyl have BIND (aka named) for DNS, some ftp daemon
(default one would be fine).

For mailserver I'll strongly suggest sendmail. It may be more
complicated to set up but it is most flexible. And you'll undoubtedly
want anti-spam features of latest sendmail. So, if your distribution
have 8.8.x, get latest 8.9 one.

Start with default setup and add enable antispam. It would be fine for
beginning.

You'll also need pop3 and imap server (it is usially separate from
mailserver).
I suggest to read latest errata on your distributor page before choosing
one for install

: My mailload will not be too heavy, probably 100 mail accounts tops and
: 10 to 200 mail messages a day.

: I am about to run a few small databases, 10 simultaneous users tops. FTP
: would be primarily for me (as admin).

For small databases you have choice between mySQL and PostgreSQL.

Choice is following - if you don't care about transactions and
complicated nested queries, but want really fast thing - use mySQL.
If you need full-featured SQL with nested queries, transactions and
constraints - Postgres is only opensource one. Most distributions
novadays (at least RedHat and Debian) are shipped with PostgreSQL 6.3.2.
But if you choose postgres, download latest version from
www.postgresql.org.

You might also consider free of charge commercial databases, like
Sybase or Interbase.

: I would be very grateful if somebody could help me to get started with
: this webserver project. I will define my needs more specifically if
: somebody could help. Thanks alot,

Go to your favorite bookstore and buy two books
"Essential system administration" (from O'Reilly nutshell series)
and "System Administration Handbook" (from Prentice Hall I think)

If you are to run real web server on real internet you'll need them.
: Tapio Nissila
I have tin news and pine mail...