New to Networking: WinNT network, Dynamic IP addressing, Passwords..?

New to Networking: WinNT network, Dynamic IP addressing, Passwords..?

Post by Kell » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hello All,
I am currently starting a complete, fresh, install of Linux Slackware 3.3.  I
have purchased and installed an appropriate Token ring card that will work
with Linux.  I will have a Win95/Linux dual boot.  My computer here at work is
on a WinNT network with password protection to hook into network drives and
our IP addressing is allocated dynamically.  Can someone tell me what topics I
will need to address and what documents I should read up on so I can connect
to our network with Linux??  I have looked at some of the HOWTO's and they all
seem to assume a static IP address.  I have heard a  little about SAMBA, will
I need it or is it more for a server on a network?

TIA and I appreciate any input!!

Kelly

ps. Please cc by mail too...our newsfeed here is NOT reliable and I may miss
messages....

"If you've had half as much fun as me...
    ....Then I've had twice as much fun as you!!"

Visit my Website at:  http://www.cei.net/~cayenne/index.html

1. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

Hi,

I know this newsgroup gets overwhelmed lately with questions about
PPP under Solaris, so I hope some of you still have energy to answer
this one.

I got the SunSolve Document infodoc/11976. In section 3.6 of this
document ( describing net-to-net ) it is clearly written that the
proposed config does NOT work if both parties share the same network
portion of the IP address.

So my question is, what has to change if both have the same network
portion of the IP address ?

Thanks in advance.

Bye.
David.

2. FTP problem after installing RedHat 6.1

3. How to configure a network device with dynamic IP address?

4. Lemmings for X ??

5. replace dynamic ip address in html file with new address

6. Redhat Motif 2.0.1 + Slackware 3.1 = ?

7. Can i see the Network IP Address of the same Network domain.

8. Alternative to Online DiskSuite 1.0 for SunOS

9. discovering the ip address of an interface without knowing any network info (like network, subnet, etc)

10. dynamic ip address - how to get to know my ip address?

11. How does a network/router recognize new IP addresses?

12. Static IP network setup with a dynamic dial-up IP from ISP

13. Network Security: I.P. Address With Corresponding Mac Address