How do I boot Monitor-less 486 without a login and then... ?

How do I boot Monitor-less 486 without a login and then... ?

Post by Super » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I don't know why you wouldn't want the linux machine to ask for a login.  You
can telnet to it without anyone being logged into it as long as you have it
setup on the network.  I have a 3 computers setup in a similar way.  Two of
which are Win98 machines (I know...I know) and then a little 486 that I hardly
ever look at except with telnet.  Although I'm not sure if your going to be
able to mount your second hard drive on your P II system without booting into
linux on the new one.   The reason for that being that Windows can't (or at
least not of my knowledge) see a linux partition.  So therefore you can't share
what you don't have....ya see what I mean.  You might could put the second hard
drive in your 486 if you know how or know someone that does.  The only problem
there is your 486 might not be able to recognize it if it's too big.
I hope I was of some help to you.

Daniel

Post by IanP » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a shiny new PII with two hard disks, the first with windows 98
and the second with Redhat 5.1. networking (soon) with my faithful old
486.  I want the 486 to boot without asking for a login and password,
being monitorless.  The purpose being that I want to telnet (or if there
is something better...?) from Windows on the PII to a minimal Linux
installtion on the 486 which will have the PII's Linux partitions
mounted on it allowing me to use the programs on the PII.

Is there a more efficient way to do this?  I would appreciate any
pointers in the right direction, thanks.

Ian P.

How do I boot Monitor-less 486 without a login and then... ?

Post by Ville Nummel » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> drive in your 486 if you know how or know someone that does.  The only problem
> there is your 486 might not be able to recognize it if it's too big.
> I hope I was of some help to you.

Just a little reminder: Linux does *not* use bios for HDD recognition. It
will read the values BIOS offers if BIOS offers them though, and uses them
as startup values. So even if BIOS doesn't know how to use big HDDs, Linux
does. As long as kernel is within the first 1024 cylinders (eg. the are
which BIOS can "see") everything goes fine (BIOS is used to boot up the
kernel anyway).

--

 |     IRC natura alienum est! Periculosum est! Delendum est!       |

Post by IanP » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I don't know why you wouldn't want the linux machine to ask for a login.  You
> can telnet to it without anyone being logged into it as long as you have it
> setup on the network.  I have a 3 computers setup in a similar way.  Two of
> which are Win98 machines (I know...I know) and then a little 486 that I hardly
> ever look at except with telnet.  Although I'm not sure if your going to be
> able to mount your second hard drive on your P II system without booting into
> linux on the new one.   The reason for that being that Windows can't (or at
> least not of my knowledge) see a linux partition.  So therefore you can't share
> what you don't have....ya see what I mean.  You might could put the second hard
> drive in your 486 if you know how or know someone that does.  The only problem
> there is your 486 might not be able to recognize it if it's too big.
> I hope I was of some help to you.

> Daniel

Tee hee you don't know how easy that would be, both secondary HDs in both PCs are
in removable caddies.  Still I want a challenge.  There is actually a windows
ext2fs driver.

Ian P.

Post by Peck R. Woo » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I have a shiny new PII with two hard disks, the first with windows 98
> and the second with Redhat 5.1. networking (soon) with my faithful old
> 486.  I want the 486 to boot without asking for a login and password,
> being monitorless.

Once you set up the networking to where you boot the 486 and access it
from win98 the way you want, you can unplug the monitor, keyboard and
mouse.  You can set up whatever services you want on the 486, samba,
apache, etc. and they will all run without you having to login.  Once
you can telnet to the box, you can even reboot it remotely and wait for
it to come back up so you can telnet in.  There are some programs that
require the console (monitor, keyboard, etc.) but there are equivalent
programs that don't for most of them.

 The purpose being that I want to telnet (or if there

Quote:> is something better...?) from Windows on the PII to a minimal Linux
> installtion on the 486 which will have the PII's Linux partitions
> mounted on it allowing me to use the programs on the PII.

Not sure what you mean here.  If you can mount the partitions using nfs
(is there nfs for win98?), you still wouldn't be able to use programs
for linux under win98. This would be no problem (not as much of a
problem) when you boot up the redhat partition on the PII.

> Is there a more efficient way to do this?  I would appreciate any
> pointers in the right direction, thanks.

> Ian P.

  peckrwood.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by IanP » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > I have a shiny new PII with two hard disks, the first with windows 98
> > and the second with Redhat 5.1. networking (soon) with my faithful old
> > 486.  I want the 486 to boot without asking for a login and password,
> > being monitorless.

> Once you set up the networking to where you boot the 486 and access it
> from win98 the way you want, you can unplug the monitor, keyboard and
> mouse.  You can set up whatever services you want on the 486, samba,
> apache, etc. and they will all run without you having to login.  Once
> you can telnet to the box, you can even reboot it remotely and wait for
> it to come back up so you can telnet in.  There are some programs that
> require the console (monitor, keyboard, etc.) but there are equivalent
> programs that don't for most of them.

>  The purpose being that I want to telnet (or if there
> > is something better...?) from Windows on the PII to a minimal Linux
> > installtion on the 486 which will have the PII's Linux partitions
> > mounted on it allowing me to use the programs on the PII.

> Not sure what you mean here.  If you can mount the partitions using nfs
> (is there nfs for win98?), you still wouldn't be able to use programs
> for linux under win98. This would be no problem (not as much of a
> problem) when you boot up the redhat partition on the PII.

There is a read only ext2 driver for win98 but it maps partitions to drive
letters as you would expect.  I can telnet to the 486, and samba just needs a
couple of tweaks.  I want to know if there is a way, while running
win98(PII),  with telnet session to Linux(486), to mount the linux
partitions(PII) on the 486, and thus have all linux partitions available under
a linux(486) telnet session on the PII; to actually be able to execute
programs on the PII Linux partition from the 486 telnet session under win98.
Phew!

 Ian P.

Post by Job Eisse » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > > I have a shiny new PII with two hard disks, the first with windows 98
> > > and the second with Redhat 5.1. networking (soon) with my faithful old
> > > 486.  I want the 486 to boot without asking for a login and password,
> > > being monitorless.

> > Once you set up the networking to where you boot the 486 and access it
> > from win98 the way you want, you can unplug the monitor, keyboard and
> > mouse.  You can set up whatever services you want on the 486, samba,
> > apache, etc. and they will all run without you having to login.  Once
> > you can telnet to the box, you can even reboot it remotely and wait for
> > it to come back up so you can telnet in.  There are some programs that
> > require the console (monitor, keyboard, etc.) but there are equivalent
> > programs that don't for most of them.

> >  The purpose being that I want to telnet (or if there
> > > is something better...?) from Windows on the PII to a minimal Linux
> > > installtion on the 486 which will have the PII's Linux partitions
> > > mounted on it allowing me to use the programs on the PII.

> > Not sure what you mean here.  If you can mount the partitions using nfs
> > (is there nfs for win98?), you still wouldn't be able to use programs
> > for linux under win98. This would be no problem (not as much of a
> > problem) when you boot up the redhat partition on the PII.

> There is a read only ext2 driver for win98 but it maps partitions to drive
> letters as you would expect.  I can telnet to the 486, and samba just needs a
> couple of tweaks.  I want to know if there is a way, while running
> win98(PII),  with telnet session to Linux(486), to mount the linux
> partitions(PII) on the 486, and thus have all linux partitions available under
> a linux(486) telnet session on the PII; to actually be able to execute
> programs on the PII Linux partition from the 486 telnet session under win98.
> Phew!

Perhaps you are the first ever to try that; put that ext2 driver in w98,
share the drive, smbmount it on the 486 - nifty if it works
                                               -job

Post by Miguel Cr » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I have a shiny new PII with two hard disks, the first with windows 98
> and the second with Redhat 5.1. networking (soon) with my faithful old
> 486.  I want the 486 to boot without asking for a login and password,
> being monitorless.

Linux isn't like Windows; it's a multiple-user system. If you don't log in
at the console, that has no impact on anything else going on. So just throw
the monitor out the window, stomp on the keyboard, you're good to go.

miguel

1. Can linux boot on a keyboard and monitor-less network machine?

I'm planning to by a second machine to use with my existing Linux
workstation. It will simply be an engine for testing pvm stuff, and so
won't be used as a workstation itself. Once Linux is installed and
running, does a Linux box need a video card and keyboard to function
(I've got an old terminal lying around I'd like to use as its console)?
The card, keyboard and monitor together will end up costing more than
the box itself. I'd rather spend the money on more memory/faster
processor.

2. PCEudora: "Socket operation on non-socket"

3. Suggest ways to install Linux on 486 CDROM-less system

4. disk problems

5. booting dos and linux (without boot disk) question

6. Ahem...goofed up, well, something

7. Trouble installing Emacs on a 486 running SCO 3.2v4 without X

8. Good news for Linux - jobs in the local paper

9. wanted : 486-Computerconfiguration without any trouble under Linux ...

10. Pentium with CD -> 486 without

11. Login without login getting recorded into last login file

12. *URGENT* Old 486 MBoard without LBA Mode:can I use a 1G HD?