FIXED: Thinkpad 600 external serial not recognized or initialized

FIXED: Thinkpad 600 external serial not recognized or initialized

Post by CT » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

***NOTE:  Before you reply, remove "SPAMSUCKS" from my e-mail address.

I finally figured out this one.  There's apparently TWO options that need
to be set with PS2.EXE for linux to recognize the existance of the external
serial port.  Type:

PS2 ? SERIAL
PS2 ? SERA

It's kinda weird.  Windows 98 was able to recognize the serial port, the
thinkpad utilities said it was enabled and PS2 SERIAL was enabled.  However,
you also need to type PS2 SERA ENABLE (or something like that).  As soon as I
did that, the kernel assigned the serial port to ttyS0.

To those maintaining a thinkpad 600 web page, please add the above fix.

Quote:> I have a IBM Thinkpad 600 (266MHz PII, 64M, etc.) running both Redhat 5.2
> and Windows 98.  For some reason, I can't seem to get the external 9-pin
> serial port to be recognized.  Any suggestions, advice, or insights are
> appreciated!

Please contact me if there are any further questions via internet mail at

Network Engineer                            Princeton, NJ 08543-5400
Corporate Telecommunications                (609) 818-3308
Bristol-Myers Squibb                        (609) 818-7814 (fax)