EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by Brian Child » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I just had a typical experience trying out a new ISP.

I contacted EROLS sales dept and asked: "I'm using linux, will this
work" they said "as long as you're using standard software yes".

I dial in, get connected and authenticated with PAP, everything looks
good.  However, I can't do anything (DNS lookups, ping, traceroute),
they seem to be filtering me!

Anyway, I call tech support, they ask what version of Windoze I'm
running.  When I say Linux, they all but hang up on me.

This infuriates me!  I can give their tech support dept 10 times the
information a typical windoze user can (ie: authenticated with PAP, my
assigned ip address, my peers IP address, traceroute listings, ICMP
errors) yet I'm the one who gets no support!

What I want to know though, is anyone keeping a list of linux friendly
ISP's?

Brian

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by David Ashl » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>What I want to know though, is anyone keeping a list of linux friendly
>ISP's?

KTB.NET in So Cal. Not only are they linux friendly, they are running
Linux. I have *absolutely* no complaints about their service. It's been
fantastic.
--

http://www.xdr.com/dash
SPAMMERS: You have nothing I want, don't send me email.

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by reggie grubb » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Erols also runs Linux on their servers...its noted on their web site. I was

it was a pretty easy setup and works really well.

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by Charles Stac » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

While it's infuriating to be dealing with nitwits on the "help" desk, it is
understandable.  The help desk personnel are probably just working from a
script/faq sheet.  My brother uses EROLs and he faced many the same problems
you experienced when he asked Windoze questions so it's really not an issue
of OS...it a matter of who known anything of value about computers.

He was having a problem where his K56Flex modem simply would not connect at
speeds over 33kbs.  Eventually, he got connected with someone who "solved"
his problem....but it took him something like 10 calls until his problem was
resolved.

cjs

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by Jim Richards » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I just had a typical experience trying out a new ISP.

>I contacted EROLS sales dept and asked: "I'm using linux, will this
>work" they said "as long as you're using standard software yes".

>I dial in, get connected and authenticated with PAP, everything looks
>good.  However, I can't do anything (DNS lookups, ping, traceroute),
>they seem to be filtering me!

>Anyway, I call tech support, they ask what version of Windoze I'm
>running.  When I say Linux, they all but hang up on me.

>This infuriates me!  I can give their tech support dept 10 times the
>information a typical windoze user can (ie: authenticated with PAP, my
>assigned ip address, my peers IP address, traceroute listings, ICMP
>errors) yet I'm the one who gets no support!

>What I want to know though, is anyone keeping a list of linux friendly
>ISP's?

>Brian

eskimo.com in Seattle, runs a lot of linux systems, (in addition to
solaris for some things.) And great service. Megapop available too.
(actually, if you mention me when/if you sign up for a year. We both
get a free month ;) lessee... shell access, web-server and 10mb space.
their homepage is www.eskimo.com (big suprise.)

--
Jim Richardson
        http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by Kyaphas G. Hi » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I used to work there (graveyard shift 11pm-8am) and can tend to sympathize with
you. But, don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes. I could go
on for hours about the types of callers I used to get (stopped working there
about 2 months ago), or I could point you to www.techtapes.com for a sample.
There are some techs to ask for by name (most gone back to school unfortunately)
and other to just plain hang up on when you get them.
But anyway, I switched over to Linux about 3 months ago (after listening to all
the other night crew guys hammer on win9x) and am having very little
trouble. Drop me an email and maybe we can get this figured out. And do you know
the name of the tech you spoke to? I'd like to know who it was, if you remember.
As for sales?? Don't get me started, I'm still looking for the rep that sold an
account to a person with a 386 w/4mb of ram, and a 2400 modem!!
If you know what you're doing though, the service itself is pretty good. I had
and account before I started working there, and purchased one when I left.

Post by Tim Traino » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> What I want to know though, is anyone keeping a list of linux friendly
> ISP's?

Berkshire Net (http://gemini.berkshire.net/) in Western Massachusetts is
GREAT! Although they don't *specifically* support Linux, they run
Solaris, and offer 20Megs disk space and a shell.

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by g.fenstermache » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Get used to it. I'm a tech support slob for an ISP and when we get Linux
callers, sometimes they'll pass them to me, but more often than not unless I
offer they tell them its not supported.

What do you expect? There's no reason that an entire company's support
department should learn how to use a niche OS that most people who use it
already fully understand. As it is, we'd love to give the same treatment to
people with Win 3x and any form of Mac.

We do give it to people who use Solaris, HPUX, OS/2, and any other number of
"odd" operating systems. Including someone who uses something called GeOS.
I'm _still_ trying to figure out what the hell that is. (and it's GeOS, not
BeOS.)

So, please don't flame ISPs because we won't help you with Linux. Post to
the newsgroup, and maybe the few techs who work there who are Linux friendly
will pop up with an answer, I know that's how the other two linux nerds and
I here all do it.

FYI, I use Erol's/RCN for my Cable modem. Their tech support is pretty much
a massive group of socially inept morons with no business sense (they refer
to themselves as the Minions of Abuse or *like that, with no definate
sigs or anythign else to ID them as tech support, and they more than a few
are living in their D&D/Lovecraft world, but that's another thread all
together...)

--
http://www.veryComputer.com/

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by Joe Ring » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I just had a typical experience trying out a new ISP.

>I contacted EROLS sales dept and asked: "I'm using linux, will this
>work" they said "as long as you're using standard software yes".

>I dial in, get connected and authenticated with PAP, everything looks
>good.  However, I can't do anything (DNS lookups, ping, traceroute),
>they seem to be filtering me!

>Anyway, I call tech support, they ask what version of Windoze I'm
>running.  When I say Linux, they all but hang up on me.

>This infuriates me!  I can give their tech support dept 10 times the
>information a typical windoze user can (ie: authenticated with PAP, my
>assigned ip address, my peers IP address, traceroute listings, ICMP
>errors) yet I'm the one who gets no support!

>What I want to know though, is anyone keeping a list of linux friendly
>ISP's?

I used Netcom for a couple of years and recently switched to Erols because I
get higher connect speeds with them. While neihter of these ISPs officially
support Linux , Linux can be made to work well.

--
clear skies,                |http://www.erols.com/jringer3/astro1.htm
Joe                         |

Post by David Harvil » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I used Netcom for a couple of years and recently switched to Erols because I
> get higher connect speeds with them. While neihter of these ISPs officially
> support Linux , Linux can be made to work well.

I also used Netcom for a while, and would like to point out that they
/did/ send me scripts for connecting
to them as an ISP.  They did say it wasn't official, but they did give
me the support for linux, official or not.

-dave

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by William H. Ba » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[ 'tude stuff deleted ]

Quote:>FYI, I use Erol's/RCN for my Cable modem. Their tech support is pretty much
>a massive group of socially inept morons with no business sense (they refer
>to themselves as the Minions of Abuse or *like that, with no definate
>sigs or anythign else to ID them as tech support, and they more than a few
>are living in their D&D/Lovecraft world, but that's another thread all
>together...)

whew! thanks! you saved me a phone call!

;-)

signed,

an erols user (who connects quite happily with Linux)

Quote:

>--
>http://www.veryComputer.com/

EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

Post by Saund » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

   What do you expect? There's no reason that an entire company's support
   department should learn how to use a niche OS that most people who use it
   already fully understand. As it is, we'd love to give the same treatment to
   people with Win 3x and any form of Mac.

Which particular cave have you been hiding in? Linux is no longer a niche
OS. given that the current flavour of the month is Linux, then you,
as an ISP support bod, are going to get a lot more enquiries about
connecting via linux.

Want to make some more money? Want to have a lever over your competitors
in the ISP business? Support Linux. Proclaim you support Linux. Get a couple
of college students who are ferverently hacking Linux on your
support staff. And you'll see the dollars roll in as your customer base
embraces a company that supports Linux!

Saundo

--
Chris "Saundo" Saunderson