Strange problem with Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem

Strange problem with Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem

Post by Mart » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 07:27:22

I have a small home network that uses a linux box for the router,
connected to a speedtouch usb modem to connect to ADSL. I then mostly
use Windows 2000 as a workstation from a seperate machine.

I can leave the linux box connected to the net all the time and it
will sit their happily routing all internet traffic (it uses iptables
to restrict incoming packets and some VPN stuff) but if I start
downloading something from windows that runs at full speed
(downloading at 50kb/sec), after about 5-15 mins i will lose the
internet connection. If i throttle the download (at, say, 20kb/sec)
using a download manager such as Getright, the connection will stay
up.

I'm not sure what is causing this to happen, and was hoping someone
would know how I can fix it! I've tried searching on the web and
through the Usenet archives (groups.google.com), but have as yet had
no luck.

Looking through the logs after the computer has disconnected from the
net shows some info.
in /var/adm/debug:
May 31 07:48:50 router kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed dev 2
rqt 192 r
q 18 len 8 ret -110
May 31 07:48:50 router kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed dev 2
rqt 192 r
q 18 len 8 ret -110
-------------------------------

the only way I can get the connection back is to restart the linux
box. there could well be a better way, but to be honest I'm still
learning about Linux and have still got a long way to go. I didn't set
up this machine, a friend from work did (he hasn't been able to help
with the problem).

can anyone point me in the right direction? if you need more
information then let me know. I will really appreciate any help you
can give.

the distribution is Slackware 8.0
Kernel is 2.4.18
its using uhci (not ohci)
and i think, the speedtouch management 1.0

Thanks,
Martyn
(martynfagg -at- yahoo -dot- com)

1. Strange problem with Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem

[...]

2. chat and online...

3. Problem with RH 7.2 and Alcatel USB speedtouch modem

4. rpl??? What's it doing on unix?

5. Alcatel SpeedTouch USB Modem

6. rpc.bootparamd under Linux 2.0.18?

7. openbsd 3.1 with an alcatel speedtouch usb modem hub

8. Help with dip SLIP script

9. ALCATEL USB SpeedTouch ADSL modem & Linux RH 7.0?

10. Redhat & Alcatel USB speedtouch modem

11. alcatel speedtouch usb adsl modem

12. Setting up the alcatel Speedtouch USB modem

13. Alcatel USB Speedtouch Modem, Can you Connect????? HOW?????