P2P stopped all network traffic

Post by Davi » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:14:13

Hello, My ISP is road runner and I use a Linksys router(BEFSR41) to connect
two home computers.  I have noticed that when I run Limewire for more then
about 30 minutes, the I am unable to connect to the internet.  The network
still works but all connections to try to get to the internet fail, and not
just for me but the other computer as well.  And a computer reboot does not
fix, nor a full shutdown.  The only way is to push the reset button on the
router.  I'm not sure if this is a problem with the router, or is my ISP
doing something?  Any ideas?

Thanks
David M

P2P stopped all network traffic

Post by Jem Berke » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 03:15:50

Quote:> Hello, My ISP is road runner and I use a Linksys router(BEFSR41) to
> connect two home computers.  I have noticed that when I run Limewire
> for more then about 30 minutes, the I am unable to connect to the
> internet.  The network still works but all connections to try to get
> to the internet fail, and not just for me but the other computer as
> well.  And a computer reboot does not fix, nor a full shutdown.  The
> only way is to push the reset button on the router.  I'm not sure if
> this is a problem with the router, or is my ISP doing something?  Any
> ideas?

I've heard that some ISPs, almost exclusively cable. do this. Likely due to
their concern of exhausting their network's upstream capacity (cable
networks want you to leech, and too many people are serving content).

Some friends of mine here have gotten around the same problem you describe
by configuring their file-sharing software to throttle the total upstream
bandwidth. Try setting a low cap (e.g. 20 KBytes/sec) and increase it as
your connection stays up.

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.sysdesign.ca/

Post by Davi » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:21:54

>> Hello, My ISP is road runner and I use a Linksys router(BEFSR41) to
>> connect two home computers.  I have noticed that when I run Limewire
>> for more then about 30 minutes, the I am unable to connect to the
>> internet.  The network still works but all connections to try to get
>> to the internet fail, and not just for me but the other computer as
>> well.  And a computer reboot does not fix, nor a full shutdown.  The
>> only way is to push the reset button on the router.  I'm not sure if
>> this is a problem with the router, or is my ISP doing something?  Any
>> ideas?

> I've heard that some ISPs, almost exclusively cable. do this. Likely due
> to their concern of exhausting their network's upstream capacity (cable
> networks want you to leech, and too many people are serving content).

> Some friends of mine here have gotten around the same problem you describe
> by configuring their file-sharing software to throttle the total upstream
> bandwidth. Try setting a low cap (e.g. 20 KBytes/sec) and increase it as
> your connection stays up.

Thank you so much for your help.  You wouldn't happen to know how to do this
in Limewire.  No matter I'll check out their website and then play with the
settings.

Thanks Anyway
David M

P2P stopped all network traffic

Post by thumb.. » Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:11:57

Quote:> Hello, My ISP is road runner and I use a Linksys router(BEFSR41) to connect
> two home computers.  I have noticed that when I run Limewire for more then
> about 30 minutes, the I am unable to connect to the internet.  The network
> still works but all connections to try to get to the internet fail, and not
> just for me but the other computer as well.  And a computer reboot does not
> fix, nor a full shutdown.  The only way is to push the reset button on the
> router.  I'm not sure if this is a problem with the router, or is my ISP
> doing something?  Any ideas?

I've had similiar issues with my cable modem. It eventually happens
without P2P, (I'm using an old linux box as the router) however running
P2P makes it happen faster. Only way (for me) to deal with it is unplug
the cable modem. (sometimes I have to wait a bit before restarting it)

Like you, the internal network does work in my case when this happens. (when
it first happened, I'd thought it was linux, so I took down the interface
and restarted it (and dhcp), even tried reboot and it didn't work.)

I think in my case it's an issue with the cable co's equipment filling up
with all those routes.

Jamie

Post by Alexander Cloute » Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:28:34

Quote:> Hello, My ISP is road runner and I use a Linksys router(BEFSR41) to connect
> two home computers.  I have noticed that when I run Limewire for more then
> about 30 minutes, the I am unable to connect to the internet.

This is a common problem with a lot of ADSL routers.  They have a block of
RAM for their NAT table and simply use up this space to keep track of all the
port/ip address re-writing.  However it does not get freed up for TCP traffic
as the timeout is typically one hour or so.

P2P traffic fires up _lots_ of TCP streams each using a chunk of this RAM, it
does not get freed up quickly enough, the free space is exhausted and then
you are no longer able to shunt data around.

The routers that run Linux are immune to this (Netgear DG834[G] for example)
and the only solution is to reboot the kit, I guess you could wait the hour
or two for the tracking to expire :)

The best thing to do is hope your kit comes with ZIPB or 'PPP Half Bridge'
then you can use DHCP to export the real IP address to a Linux box and there
you go, plus if you fsck up the Linux box through 'tweaking' then you can
quickly fall back on the router its-self.

Regards

Alex

-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

1. Solaris 9 stop responding to network traffic

I have Sun Ultra 60 with Solaris 9 installed. For some reason
periodically this system stop responding to network traffic and become
unavailable. Sometime after that connection is restoring back.
I can't find the problem.
I've checked ndd settings (100mbit/s full duplex, no autonegotiation) ,
network configuration,DNS ,  network switch , replaced NIC card,
motherboard, applied recent patches from Sun. No luck.
If I am putting network interface down and back up using ifconfig
command, connection is restoring.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Eugene.

2. cpio and another machine's tape drive

3. Weird Network traffic --Help stop the madness!

4. split in csh

5. (free) p2p program for internal (wireless) network...

6. 802.11b PCI config problem

7. [OT?} possible good news for P2P networks...

8. SLS fixes: recap

9. SuseFirewall2 setup for P2P Home Network?

10. File Sharing and P2P networks?

11. P2P networking

12. Configure a P2P network with WinXP & RH Linux 7.2

13. The best P2P network & -client for freeBSD?