Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by Sant » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:48:11

Guys,

I really need your help. I am tryiong telnet from windows PC to Linux
PC through router. I can ping from windows PC. But I can't telnet. I
already posted a question about this, some experts suggested to me to
check telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d directory, also some other
suggestions, I did everything, but still I can't do telnet. I can ping
in both ways. I am using RH 8.0 linux. I have Netgera 4 port router.
What is my problem?

Could somebody tell me how to copy files from floppy to Linux
machine?. Appreciated somuch for your help, thanks in advance.

Post by Uwe Bonne » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:56:06

: Guys,

: I really need your help. I am tryiong telnet from windows PC to Linux
: PC through router. I can ping from windows PC. But I can't telnet. I
: already posted a question about this, some experts suggested to me to
: check telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d directory, also some other
: suggestions, I did everything, but still I can't do telnet. I can ping
: in both ways. I am using RH 8.0 linux. I have Netgera 4 port router.
: What is my problem?

: Could somebody tell me how to copy files from floppy to Linux
: machine?. Appreciated somuch for your help, thanks in advance.

Look at the mtools. E.g. use mcopy to copy files form Flopa a: like
'mcopy "a:*" '

Hope this helps.

Bye

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by Armin Krawinke » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:37:28

Quote:> Guys,

> I really need your help. I am tryiong telnet from windows PC to
> Linux PC through router. I can ping from windows PC. But I can't
> telnet. I already posted a question about this, some experts
> suggested to me to check telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d directory,
> also some other suggestions, I did everything, but still I can't do
> telnet. I can ping in both ways. I am using RH 8.0 linux. I have
> Netgera 4 port router. What is my problem?

> Could somebody tell me how to copy files from floppy to Linux
> machine?. Appreciated somuch for your help, thanks in advance.

use ssh instead of telnet. putty is a good free ssh client for windoze

use samba to share files between windoze and linux

--

life, the universe and everything

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by David Cuttin » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:51:23

Hi;

Quote:> Guys,

> I really need your help. I am tryiong telnet from windows PC to Linux
> PC through router. I can ping from windows PC. But I can't telnet. I
> already posted a question about this, some experts suggested to me to
> check telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d directory, also some other
> suggestions, I did everything, but still I can't do telnet. I can ping
> in both ways. I am using RH 8.0 linux. I have Netgera 4 port router.
> What is my problem?

Can you telnet into the machine locally using the external
address? (eg the one shown by ifconfig eth0)?

If you can't then the chances are there is something up with
your telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d but you mention you've checked
this already. I don't have 8.0 but a working /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
file from RH 7.2 is:

service telnet
{
    flags = REUSE
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    log_on_failure += USERID
    disable = no

Quote:}

If you can then it's possible that a router or firewall is blocking port
access along the way? Can you access other services (such as a webserver)
from the Windows machine?

It could also be possible (not sure - don't use 8) that RH 8's default
firewall filters out telnet? When you try to connect, does the session
timeout or is it denied immediately?

Quote:> Could somebody tell me how to copy files from floppy to Linux
> machine?. Appreciated somuch for your help, thanks in advance.

#mkdir /mnt/floppy
#mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

you may need some options, but mount will pretty much prompt you
with them (or man mount).

and then just access the directory as normal.

remember to umount /dev/fd0 before removing the floppy especially
if you have written to it.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave.

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:34:54

> Hi;

> > Guys,

> > I really need your help. I am tryiong telnet from windows PC to Linux
> > PC through router. I can ping from windows PC. But I can't telnet. I
> > already posted a question about this, some experts suggested to me to
> > check telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d directory, also some other
> > suggestions, I did everything, but still I can't do telnet. I can ping
> > in both ways. I am using RH 8.0 linux. I have Netgera 4 port router.
> > What is my problem?

> Can you telnet into the machine locally using the external
> address? (eg the one shown by ifconfig eth0)?

> If you can't then the chances are there is something up with
> your telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d but you mention you've checked
> this already. I don't have 8.0 but a working /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
> file from RH 7.2 is:

> service telnet
> {
>     flags = REUSE
>     socket_type = stream
>     wait = no
>     user = root
>     server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
>     log_on_failure += USERID
>     disable = no
> }

> If you can then it's possible that a router or firewall is blocking port
> access along the way? Can you access other services (such as a webserver)
> from the Windows machine?

> It could also be possible (not sure - don't use 8) that RH 8's default
> firewall filters out telnet? When you try to connect, does the session
> timeout or is it denied immediately?

> > Could somebody tell me how to copy files from floppy to Linux
> > machine?. Appreciated somuch for your help, thanks in advance.

> #mkdir /mnt/floppy
> #mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

> you may need some options, but mount will pretty much prompt you
> with them (or man mount).

> and then just access the directory as normal.

> remember to umount /dev/fd0 before removing the floppy especially
> if you have written to it.

> Cheers,

> Dave.
> --
> Dave.

I was wondering if someone was gonna tell this guy to just mount the disk
and read/write to it! :)  Glad you did.  All he wanted was to know how to
read from floppy.

Also...

As everyone else mentioned, you should consider using SSH instead of Telnet.
To see if telnet is even running, do this:

netstat -an | grep :23

This will tell you if you are listening for connections for telnet.  If you
get no response, then you are not even starting the telnetd daemon.  By
default, telnetd is not installed. You will need to install it:

rpm -Uvh telnet-server-<version>

Once this is done, it should install the startup script that was posted
above, so you will not have to.  You will need to go into it and change
disable to no.  Once you do this type:

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

This should start the daemon for you.

I would also suggest you use Cygwin rather than putty.  Its more versatile.

When you install Cygwin, select the netutils (this will give you a better
telnet package) package, the openssl/openssh packages and WindowMaker.  This
will give you an environment that you can eventually use not only for ssh
but also (once configured) will provide you with a fully functioning Xserver
in the event you need to do remote graphical work from windows.   Here's a
hint,  add -ac "start Xwin" line in the startxwin.bat file and change run
twm to run wmaker.  Then launch it.  You'll have  a full "linux like"
environment on your windows box too.

Once you install Cygwin, add the c:\cygwin\bin (or where you put it) to your
SYSTEM path and you will be able to use all of the tools even in a dos
prompt.

Well.  I think I was overhelpful.  Anyway....

ken k

ken k

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by Sant » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:45:51

Guys,

I checked the telnet script in /etc/xinetd.d directory, it looks OK, I
can do telnet from Linux PC to one of the IP addr which is showing on
eth0 (ifconfig - eth0 IP addr), but when I do from windows PC, I am
getting this message "Open connection to the host, on port 23: connect
failed". I am getting that message. I can telnet daemon running (when
I do netstat -an | grep :23 command). I don't know what else I can do
on Router, any suggestion is appreciated. Great. Thanks in advance.

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by David Cuttin » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:13:04

Quote:> Guys,

> I checked the telnet script in /etc/xinetd.d directory, it looks OK, I
> can do telnet from Linux PC to one of the IP addr which is showing on
> eth0 (ifconfig - eth0 IP addr), but when I do from windows PC, I am
> getting this message "Open connection to the host, on port 23: connect
> failed". I am getting that message. I can telnet daemon running (when
> I do netstat -an | grep :23 command). I don't know what else I can do
> on Router, any suggestion is appreciated. Great. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

It would seem to me that telnet is being filtered by your
firewall or router somewhere between the two boxes.

As far as I know (please bear in mind, compared to others on this
ng I am a mere newbie and may well be wrong) but that, unless there
is some form of per-host access control on the telnet server (similar
to the old-style hosts.allow), then connecting to the external IP
address even from locally on the machine tests the telnet deamon
on that address and that port totally.

Have you tried running the telnet server on an alternative port, such
as 80 to check if a commonly un-filtered port would do it for you?

Alternatively, there are a variety of tools available to check the
availability of the port for you. I use nmap under Linux to examine
which ports and open, closed and filtered.

There is a version (I believe) available for Windoze from
www.eeye.com.

This will at least then tell you if you're dealing with a firewall issue
or a local issue.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
David Cutting

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by Sant » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 06:40:59

Dave,

Appreciated for your response, I will try the things you suggested
once back to home, also I wanted to give some more info here to
isolate the problem with router or the particular port on my linux
machine. I can run ping on both ways (from PC I can ping linux machine
as well as I can ping PC from linux), also I have one more windows PC,
I can map drive between two windows machines and I can share files
(copy files, aslo access files between two windows PC) using the same
router. Only problem I am getting when I wanted to do telnet from PC
to linux. I can sure Telnet daemon is running, also I can telnet from
linux machine to linux (based on IP addr of eth0 interface), that
works. One more thing I noticed is, when I run telnet from PC, I can
see the receive packet count on ethernet interface increases (I did
netstat on ethernet interface - I can see packet count up), that means
the packet is reaching the telnet server on linux machine, I hope the
router is not blocking any traffic, I am using Netgear 4 port wireless
router (M3XX series). Thanks in advance.

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by David Cuttin » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:07:56

Hello again;

Quote:> Dave,

> Appreciated for your response, I will try the things you suggested
> once back to home, also I wanted to give some more info here to
> isolate the problem with router or the particular port on my linux

[ other details snipped]

Hmmm... ok. So, let's assume that it is not being filtered out
by any * router problem, so the packets are reaching the
server machine (as you showed with netstat).

The Linux machines can telnet between each other - is this
over the router or are they on the same LAN?

Assuming that the Linux machines can telnet between each
other over the router and it's just the windows boxes that
cannot connect to the Linux machines:

I am now going to hazard a (probably wrong) guess - I have
had serious problems with telnet and DNS/name based
authentication checks before where a Linux server would
open a telnet session that would then drop because the
server was trying to resolve an address that it couldn't.

Could it be possible (and I'm not at all sure and hopefully
some kind soul reading this who actually knows will reply
and sort it out) that the Linux servers are offering identd
connections, the windows machines not (therefore the
Linux server attempting to check 192.X.X.X and timing
out on the lookup).

When you try to telnet in, does it throw you out straight
away or sit there for quite a while before giving the error?

Also - you say it's a wireless router. Can I just check that
it is just a straight wireless/ethernet bridge, eg all machines
are in the same subnet range and it's not doing anything
clever with packets??

Cheers,

Dave.
--
David Cutting

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by Sant » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:32:57

Dave,

Appreciated for your response again. I am giving some details below
for your questions:

When I do telnet from PC, it is waiting for some time and then
reporting "connect failed", it is not throwing immediately. While it
is waiting I can see on linux box that packet receive count is
incrementing when windows PC is trying telnet.

Also both windows PC and Linux PC are on same subnet, it is getting
it's IP address from Router (DHCP is enabled on Router). The Router is
gateway. When I do ifconfig/ipconfig I can see Router as Gateway and
these PC's IP address are are on the same subnet. Gateway is
192.168.0.1, Windows PC: 192.168.0.1, Linux PC: 192.168.0.1, subnet
mask 255.255.255.0.

This way the the IP addresses are assigned from the Router.

Thanks.

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by Sant » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:00:53

Dave/Guys:

When I do tcpdump on my linux PC: I got these messages, may be some
linux IP stack expert could give some idea what is happening my
telnet.

when I do ping from windows PC(192.168.0.11), I do get reply, when I
do telnet to linux pc(192.168.0.12) from wiondowspc. My router ip addr
is: 192.168.0.10. also here my linux machine name is "dhcppc2". I got
these messages:

192.168.0.10.domain: 41616+ PTR? 10.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (43) (DF)

dhcppc2.telnet: S 2154347396:2154347396(O) win 64240 <mss
1460,nop,nop,sackOK> (DF)
"192.168.0.11: icmp: dhcppc2 tcp port telnet unreachable [tos 0xc0]

Could you please let me know what I have to do to do to work my
telnet. At the end my telnet failed (connection failed). Thanks in
advance.

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by David Cuttin » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:19:41

Quote:> when I do ping from windows PC(192.168.0.11), I do get reply, when I
> do telnet to linux pc(192.168.0.12) from wiondowspc. My router ip addr
> is: 192.168.0.10. also here my linux machine name is "dhcppc2". I got
> these messages:

> 192.168.0.10.domain: 41616+ PTR? 10.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (43) (DF)

> dhcppc2.telnet: S 2154347396:2154347396(O) win 64240 <mss
> 1460,nop,nop,sackOK> (DF)
> "192.168.0.11: icmp: dhcppc2 tcp port telnet unreachable [tos 0xc0]

Hi Santa,

I'm fairly sure (and again, not entirely certain) that that is a DNS issue.

The 10.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa refers to an attempted DNS reverse DNS
lookup for 192.168.0.10 (presumably the client machine).

Presumably, via identd, the Linux machines do not need to authenticate
via reverse DNS and so, there is no problem.

You should be able to solve this problem one of two ways:

Either create an internal reverse-DNS zone eg at my house I have BIND
installed on the same machine as my DHCP server with the addresses
both forward and reverse, eg.

I have a house.zz domain with entries for dave.house.zz for 10.0.0.1 etc...
I have a house.zone file with entries to point 10.0.0.1 to dave.house.zz...

This will solve the issue.

Alternatively (and probably simpler) you can turn off reverse DNS lookup
for the telnet server. The bad news is I'm afraid I have no idea how to do
this and no time now to research it.

Anyone else on this n.g. know how to stop telnet doing a reverse DNS??
Can we perhaps put something in hosts.conf to make it fail immediately?
Can we perhaps list the clients in /etc/hosts so they lookup??

Hope this helps and someone else answers in full. If not, I'll have
a more detailed check after Easter.

Cheers,

Dave.

Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

Post by Sant » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:32:28

David,

Ya....Hoo.....Ya....Hoo. It worked, it worked, it worked. Finally
telnet got it work. I am very happy, the problem: I enabled firewall
on my linux machine, so it is using default firewall rules, I
customized it to allow incoming telnet session, it came up. Guys
thanks for your help, appreciated.

Especially Dave, thanks a lot, appreciated for your help. You are
great man.

Santa.

1. Need help connecting W98 PC to Linux PC (Slackware 7.0)

I have just installed Linux and have it connected to the Internet, and
want to network my 98 machine.  What is the best way to do this?

I'm going to leave out how I currently have it setup as it seems to be
causing problems in other places I have asked this question. I do have
a small jpg of how I have it now if it would help anyone.

I want both machines to be able to access the Internet. I have an ADSL
account with Sympatico and it is working on both PC's at present with
pppoe. I have a 5 port hub and 4 NICS I can work with to accomplish
this. Samba is installed and running, although the config files will
need to be set up properly.

So from the hardware to the software - what would work best for what I
need above?

Thanks

2. /proc/partitions gets name wrong for IDE discs

3. browse linux pc (with samba installed) from DOS pc

4. Ethernet connection between Linux/Win '95

5. telnet into linux from pc hangs pc

6. solaris 2.4 as DNS/corp mail server anyone??

7. Configuring Linux tools: i586-pc-linux-gnu or i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 ?????

8. Linux PPP & Annex Server

9. NEED CROS COMPILER TO PROGRAM POWER PC 603 CHIP FROM PENTIUM PC UNDER DOS OR WINDOWS

10. HELP!!! FTP from Win95 PC to LINUX PC

11. i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 vs. i586-pc-linux-gnu

12. need expert help with unusual multi-pc networking situation

13. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?