Where do I begin building a home network?

Where do I begin building a home network?

Post by Larry Blisch » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I want to create a home network consisting of 3 computers running UNIX,
Win2000, and Win98 using a 4th machine running Linux. I've seen the WinProxy
solution for Windows but I want to learn how to do this using Linux.

I know that I want all the machines to have good network connectivity. I
know that I want to share a dialup ISP and I know that I want some firewall
protection. But besides that, I don't know where to begin. What's books, man
pages, how-tos, etc. should I read?

What exactly is it that I want to build? What software should I look for?

Thanks in advance,
--

Where do I begin building a home network?

Post by Manuel Alduci » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Here are some docs from the Linux Documentation Project that might
help:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag/nag.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO.html

> Hi,

> I want to create a home network consisting of 3 computers running UNIX,
> Win2000, and Win98 using a 4th machine running Linux. I've seen the WinProxy
> solution for Windows but I want to learn how to do this using Linux.

> I know that I want all the machines to have good network connectivity. I
> know that I want to share a dialup ISP and I know that I want some firewall
> protection. But besides that, I don't know where to begin. What's books, man
> pages, how-tos, etc. should I read?

> What exactly is it that I want to build? What software should I look for?

> Thanks in advance,
> --

Manuel Alducin

Where do I begin building a home network?

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,

> I want to create a home network consisting of 3 computers running UNIX,
> Win2000, and Win98 using a 4th machine running Linux. I've seen the WinProxy
> solution for Windows but I want to learn how to do this using Linux.

> I know that I want all the machines to have good network connectivity. I
> know that I want to share a dialup ISP and I know that I want some firewall
> protection. But besides that, I don't know where to begin. What's books, man
> pages, how-tos, etc. should I read?

> What exactly is it that I want to build? What software should I look for?

What exactly do you want to DO with this network? If you just want the
Linux box to serve as a way for several other computers to share a single
dialup PPP link, then start with the PPP HOWTO (check
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html for a list of all Linux
HOWTO documents) and go on to the IP masquerading and ipchains HOWTOs. If
you want to run internal services on your network, like file or printer
sharing, then you'll need to locate appropriate documentation for that.
You may want to consider buying a book if you want to do more than one or
two limited tasks, though. I've got several recommendations on
http://www.rodsbooks.com/books/. It's possible that my own _Linux:
Networking for Your Office_ will suit your needs, or you might be better
off with something else; it's hard to tell without knowing more about
what you intend to accomplish.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

Where do I begin building a home network?

Post by Harry Thompso » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Sorry to bother you, but I seem to be having the opposite problem as everyone
else.  They seem to want the Linux machine to be the host and Win98, etc. machines
to be clients.  I am trying to do just the opposite, I want to run the Linux
machine as the Client and the Win98 box as the Host.  Darn near every How-to,
postings, etc. I read seem to be geared toward the Linux host.  I presently am
running a Proxy on the Win98 machine, and at boot on the linux box the Eth0's Ok,
I can ping the proxy's IP and the actual IP of the machine the proxy is on, but I
keep getting "Page Contains, No Data" when I try to use Netscape with the Proxy's
settings.  Every configuration in Linux seems to be correct.  Do you have any
advice as to how to resolve my problem, any How-Tos for this problem.  I have gone
crazy trying to figure it out.  Also, Again, sorry to inconvience you.

Harry Thompson
Biloxi MS

Post by Bruce Elric » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Sorry to bother you, but I seem to be having the opposite problem as everyone
> else.  They seem to want the Linux machine to be the host and Win98, etc. machines
> to be clients.  I am trying to do just the opposite, I want to run the Linux
> machine as the Client and the Win98 box as the Host.  Darn near every How-to,
> postings, etc. I read seem to be geared toward the Linux host.  I presently am
> running a Proxy on the Win98 machine, and at boot on the linux box the Eth0's Ok,
> I can ping the proxy's IP and the actual IP of the machine the proxy is on, but I
> keep getting "Page Contains, No Data" when I try to use Netscape with the Proxy's
> settings.  Every configuration in Linux seems to be correct.  Do you have any
> advice as to how to resolve my problem, any How-Tos for this problem.  I have gone
> crazy trying to figure it out.  Also, Again, sorry to inconvience you.

There are several types of proxying.  The proxy setting in Netscape is
specific to the application (http) and requires an http proxy.  The type of
proxying that most of the howtos talk about is what is referred to
masquerading on Linux (because that's what the kernel calls it) and is know as
NAT (network address translation) otherwise.  This latter type of proxying is
also known as transparent proxying because the client doesn't really know it
is being proxied; it thinks the server is just a router.

In you case, your Win98 proxy might be a NAT/transparent proxy, which means
that you don't want to set Netscape on the Linux box to treat it as an http
proxy but rather you want to configure it to use the Win98 box as its default
gateway.  Set Netscape to use "direct connection".

Hope that helps...
Bruce
--
Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.                       Saltus Technology Consulting Group

1. Help building a network at home

Hi

I am thinking of networking a PC running MS-DOS/windows to my PC running
Linux, the main reason for doing so is so that I can share a laser printer,
that is connected to the PC running MS-DOS.

I don't know how to approach the problem I have two possible solutions -

The first involves running some form of PC-NFS, the problem that I have with
that I only have one registered ip number.

The second approach involves running Windows for Workgroups as I understand
that Linux can talk to Windows for Workgroups.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. Account Maintenance via Batch Process?

3. building a home lan/network: hardware?

4. Keyboard plugged into serial port...Does it exist?

5. Benefits of dual-homed firewall for home network?

6. Non-blocking accept()...

7. The file to select Linux and DOS in the very beginning

8. Where to find OSE-3 sccs?

9. Networking help for home networking

10. Setup sendmail for local home-network AND uucp global network

11. Connecting to the @Home network/General network configuration

12. Wireless networking using VPN to access home network

13. jlg058@home.com, tlg62@home.com, egglectric@home.com