Samba: can see, but not access Linux share

Samba: can see, but not access Linux share

Post by Larry Gagno » Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:37:39

I have Samba on a home network bwtween my Linux box and my wifes's WinXP
machine. At present I am able to mount WinXP shares on my Linux box and to
print from Linux to our WinXP connected printer. I can also see my Linux share
on the WinXP box. However, I am unable to browse this Linux share from WinXP.
I get the error message:

"\\scorpion\public is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this resource."

A WinXP command "net view \\scorpion" works fine. Obviously I don't understand
something about Samba share logins and passwords. The WinXP box has a
different login name to my Linux box and I have yet to set anything up in
smb.conf. The Linux share is "public". What do I need to do to access this
Linux share from the WinXP box?

Larry Gagnon

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

Samba: can see, but not access Linux share

Post by Theo Kante » Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:42:32

This is a common problem -- at least there is two of us. I should not
think this is a problem related to passwords. Please read the details of
the smb.conf man pages concerning access rights as well as e.g. the
unofficial samba howto pages http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/client.html

regards

--theo

> I have Samba on a home network bwtween my Linux box and my wifes's WinXP
> machine. At present I am able to mount WinXP shares on my Linux box and to
> print from Linux to our WinXP connected printer. I can also see my Linux share
> on the WinXP box. However, I am unable to browse this Linux share from WinXP.
> I get the error message:

> "\\scorpion\public is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> this resource."

> A WinXP command "net view \\scorpion" works fine. Obviously I don't understand
> something about Samba share logins and passwords. The WinXP box has a
> different login name to my Linux box and I have yet to set anything up in
> smb.conf. The Linux share is "public". What do I need to do to access this
> Linux share from the WinXP box?

> Larry Gagnon

1. Linux /dir Not shared/seen on Win 98 using Samba

I have installed the samba suite on my RH Linux 7.1 on the corp LAN.
I have edit he smb.conf according to my specs. Fired the smbd & nmbd
daemon and was able to to see the linux host machine from a win 98 Pc
on the Lan.
However when I tried to access the share directory I was not able to
see anything accept the this error message:
\\"machine name' not accessible. The computer or the share name could
not be found. Make sure you type it correctly and try again.
Is it anything to do with ipchain firewall? I have issued "smbclient
-L host id" I was expecting to see the share folder
/home/samba/export/ but what I saw was Sharename: homes Type: Disk
Comment: Directories plus the server host name. The Linux machine
often disappeared from the workgroup after sometimes even though the
daemon is up and running? In order to see it again I had deactivate
and reactivate the samba daemons.

I hope I am painting a clear pictute of my problem

Thanks
Guise

2. strcpy problem

3. SMB samba shares not being seen by everyone????

4. libl.a and libmp.a

5. SMB shares will not share on samba

6. WTB: SunSwift 10/100 CD and manual.

7. Linux share Samba access error

8. Linux to Microsoft Proxy Server connection.

9. Access of Samba Linux share subdirectories

10. samba: linux won't access win98 shared floppy & CD

11. Help: Unix no write access to a mounted Linux Samba Share

12. samba not seen in Network Neighborhood

13. win 9x not seeing Samba server (guru help needed)