telnet, ftp, http not working

telnet, ftp, http not working

Post by Paul » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:15:47



I have two linux servers - v6.1 RH.  I cannot telnet, ftp, nor access web
pages with a browser to either server.  If I log in on the server itself it
allows all of these to itself.  When I checked for in.telnetd it was not
running.  When I try to start it by hand it says -

./in.telnetd: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket

I *can* ping the each server from the other one.

telnet and ftp are listed in /etc/services.  I have

inetd is running.  httpd is running.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Paul

 
 
 

telnet, ftp, http not working

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:39:47



>I have two linux servers - v6.1 RH.  I cannot telnet, ftp, nor access web
>pages with a browser to either server.  If I log in on the server itself it
>allows all of these to itself.  When I checked for in.telnetd it was not
>running.  When I try to start it by hand it says -

>./in.telnetd: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket

in.telnetd starts automatically from /etc/inetd.conf.  That is apparently
working locally, but not remotely.  However, Linux is cautious about who
connects.  Is there a name for the client IP in DNS or /etc/hosts?

Quote:>I *can* ping the each server from the other one.

>telnet and ftp are listed in /etc/services.  I have

>inetd is running.  httpd is running.

httpd is not controlled by inetd (unless you set up apache to run from
inetd instead of the usual standalone daemon).  But its configuration
might be limiting it (check it for allow or deny directives).  Also
automatic redirects for things like missing trailing slash on a directory
might be redirected to what the server perceives as its ServerName, which
might be localhost or some name not known by the client.  See docs for
UseCanonicalName directive.

Check the contents of /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny (for more info
see: man 5 hosts_access).  Are you doing anything with ipchains that might
be blocking something essential?

--

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

 
 
 

telnet, ftp, http not working

Post by Sasch » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:49:20


Perhaps firewall, or something like that (Ipchains?)




> >I have two linux servers - v6.1 RH.  I cannot telnet, ftp, nor access web
> >pages with a browser to either server.  If I log in on the server itself
it
> >allows all of these to itself.  When I checked for in.telnetd it was not
> >running.  When I try to start it by hand it says -

> >./in.telnetd: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket

> in.telnetd starts automatically from /etc/inetd.conf.  That is apparently
> working locally, but not remotely.  However, Linux is cautious about who
> connects.  Is there a name for the client IP in DNS or /etc/hosts?

> >I *can* ping the each server from the other one.

> >telnet and ftp are listed in /etc/services.  I have

> >inetd is running.  httpd is running.

> httpd is not controlled by inetd (unless you set up apache to run from
> inetd instead of the usual standalone daemon).  But its configuration
> might be limiting it (check it for allow or deny directives).  Also
> automatic redirects for things like missing trailing slash on a directory
> might be redirected to what the server perceives as its ServerName, which
> might be localhost or some name not known by the client.  See docs for
> UseCanonicalName directive.

> Check the contents of /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny (for more info
> see: man 5 hosts_access).  Are you doing anything with ipchains that might
> be blocking something essential?

> --

> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

 
 
 

1. PPP problem using Netscape HTTP, ftp & telnet works !

Please Help Me, It is a month that I'm tryng to solve this problem,
and I'm starting to think that learning Unix with Linux is a waste of
time.
        Notes:
-I had reconfigured kernel 1.2.13 with Soundblaster, Network (only
ppp), and some other options.
-My Internet provider give me a PPP link. I phone to the Cisco-gateway
at 194.20.240.129 (cs.genesi.shiny.it) but the server is
194.20.240.130 (genesi.shiny.it). Netmask is 255.255.255.224 and Dns
is 194.20.232.1 (denise.shiny.it). My hostname has a name give it from
me: diddo.genesi.shiny.it. Normally (when starting Linux, not on line)
I use only 127.0.0.1 as loopback address.  
-I use a dip script that init the V32bis modem, call 805850, get $mtu
1500 and send login & passwd, after that takes the dynamic IP from
Server and fire up ppp.

At the moment, I can use Telnet, ncFTP or FTP, popclient (POP3mail
client), Ping, traceroute, and much other text oriented service.  
But when I launch Xmosaic or Netscape (1.11 or 2.01) from a Shell of
Xwindow the browser can only read newsgroup, make ftp, send mail but
NO DATA CAN BE SHOWN FROM HTTP, the only web page that I can see is my
home page on the 2nd Windows95 Hard disk. Really Good !

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me!
       ,,,,            
      /'^'\
     ( o o )          
-oOOO--(_)--OOOo-------------------------------------------------------

  (   )   Oooo.  Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/1969
---\ (----(   )--------------------------------------------------------
    \_)    ) /  
          (_/  

2. FreeBSD ports on BSDI

3. Problem using Xbrowser HTTP, but network app. as telnet & ftp works!

4. receive mail from apple mac

5. http works, ftp & telnet dont - going out of my mind!!!

6. Auto connect to remote host in CDE

7. PPP problem using Netscape HTTP, ftp & telnet works !

8. HELP: CERN 3.0 Server problems.

9. ftp, telnet, http work so late

10. IP Masq - Ping & Telnet ok, but HTTP & FTP don't work

11. PPP problem using XNetscape HTTP, telnet &ftp works!

12. ping ok, not telnet ftp http

13. Can ping, but not ftp/telnet/http etc.