PLIP - how can I find out what irq and io uses my parallel port?

PLIP - how can I find out what irq and io uses my parallel port?

Post by zerr » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 05:26:15

Hi,
I try to connect my laptop with my other computer using PLIP - but so
far without success. My first problem is that I dont know what irq and
io uses parallel port. I tried to use all the possible configurations
of '278', '378' and '3bc' and '3-5-7' on both computers, but there are
a lot of possibilities... I tried to find it in BIOS. On 'normal'
computer (you call it 'desktop' in English?) I found that the most
probably it uses 278/5 or 278/7. But on laptop I have a sort of 'bios
for the stupid' and there isn't such information there (only the very
most simple settings). Is there any program that can give me
information on such details?

Z*dziekuje za porade
Piotrek z Bialegostoku

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 05:40:13

> Hi,
> I try to connect my laptop with my other computer using PLIP - but so
> far without success. My first problem is that I dont know what irq and
> io uses parallel port. I tried to use all the possible configurations
> of '278', '378' and '3bc' and '3-5-7' on both computers, but there are
> a lot of possibilities... I tried to find it in BIOS. On 'normal'
> computer (you call it 'desktop' in English?) I found that the most
> probably it uses 278/5 or 278/7. But on laptop I have a sort of 'bios
> for the stupid' and there isn't such information there (only the very
> most simple settings). Is there any program that can give me
> information on such details?

'cat /proc/ioports'
'cat /proc/interrupts'
'lsmod' could be helpful too.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

PLIP - how can I find out what irq and io uses my parallel port?

Post by Robert Pearc » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 06:53:07

[zerro asked]
Quote:>> Is there any program that can give me
>> information on such details?

>'cat /proc/ioports'
>'cat /proc/interrupts'
>'lsmod' could be helpful too.

Those only tell you what IO / IRQs are being used by drivers, not what
hardware exists. Of course loading up the parport / lp drivers may well
successfully auto-probe them.

--
Rob Pearce

The "from" must be wrong, nothing that helpful ever comes from the TAN team!

1. Multiple parallel ports/IRQ sharing/non-use of IRQ by parallel ports?

Hello,
        I currently have two parallel ports in my PC (one at address 0x3bc and
one at 0x378) and was wondering if it is possible to use them simultaneously
_without_ using more than one interrupt.  I've read that in DOS, most printing
is not interrupt-driven, but instead is accomplished by polling.  Having read
the Printing-HOWTO, I have learned that it is possible (under Linux) to toggle
between an interrupt driver and a polling driver for each parallel port
(/dev/lp0, /dev/lp1) using a utility called "tunelp".  I was wondering if any
of the following configurations are possible for simultaneous use of the two
parallel ports:

1) Have both ports share IRQ7.

2) Have both ports run with the polling driver (using no interrupts).

3) Have one port using IRQ7 and the other port running with the polling driver.

I know that I can set the two parallel ports up using separate interrupts, but
the card with the second parallel port only allows use of IRQ7 or IRQ5 (it's
an 8-bit I/O card), and IRQ7 is already used by my first parallel port (it's
integrated onto the motherboard and its IRQ is not changeable) and IRQ5 is
being used by an old MIDI interface card (whose IRQ is also not changeable).
Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Alvin

2. (no subject)

3. PLIP IRQ problem : How can I know which IRQ's are used, whith wich devices ?

4. what are risks if no firewall is installed ?

5. Boca IO 2 by 4 (using all 4 serial ports, irq 2)

6. Mac as development host?

7. Denial of Service Attack

8. Pin outs for parallel port zip drive cable?

9. How to find out used IO-Ports?

10. How to find out application that send outs packets on certain port

11. PLIP: how to assign IRQ when plip is compiled in the kernel?

12. ISA NIC setup - how to set/find irq/io values?