making "routed" broadcast static gateway info

making "routed" broadcast static gateway info

Post by Nicholas Farrel » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:09:15

I'm sure I'm overlooking something really simple:

I have installed "routed" on my gateway - intranet on one NIC, cable
modem on the other. Machines in the intranet have routed running.

Internally, all is well. Routing information is distributed as it should
be. However, I can't get the gateway to pass information about its link
to the internet! I wanted to edit /etc/gateways with a line like:

net 0.0.0.0 gateway gateway.mynetwork.net metric 1 passive

but of course passive links aren't broadcast by routed; they're only
used locally. If i say that it's an active gateway, the route gets
deleted, because there's no response from routed's request for
information. and of course "external" is useless.

So how do you do it??? routed is a fairly useless program if it can only
manipulate routing tables dealing with other routed gateways...

thanks for any replies.

Nick Farrell.

1. Are changes made with "route" and "ifconfig" permanent?

Are changes made with "route" and "ifconfig" permanent?  I.e. will the
changes be there the next time I reboot?  Some books say I must put
any changes I want to keep into my "rc.local", which implies that it's
not saved.  Other books don't specifically say to put a command into
an "rc" file, which implies that changes are saved.  I've got a static
route that keeps "coming back", even though I remove it and reboot.
It isn't in "rc.local", but it does exist at the time "rc.local" is
run (verified with a "route" and "sleep" in rc.local).  I've grepped
the files under "rc.d" for a "route add -net" and can't find any
instances.

2. How to get Brother HL-630 working with apsfilter?

4. SKEWED CLOCK???

6. Upgraded to 2.6...Now have a lp remote problem

7. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

8. "extern inline" to "static inline" allows compile

9. why is "static inline" preferred over "extern inline"?

10. Need help making tape drive "Available" after "Defining"

11. Can grep be made using "and" instead of "or"

12. Making "less" act like "more"