Intranet Service Registery

Post by Andre-John Ma » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

 Before undertaking a project idea that I have I would like to be able
 to guage whether there is an interest in it. The project description
 follows, I would be interested in knowing whether there is any real
 interest in it:

 Andre

Intranet Service Registery
--------------------------

The aim of this project is to create a registery with which the diverse
services on the intranet can register themselves. For example, you start
up add a new web server in your intranet, the server would register
itself
with the registery automatically making itself known to everyone. The
registery would not be limited to web servers, it could provide support
for NNTP, list servers, mail servers, etc.

In order to make itself known I expect some sort of broadcast mechanism
by the registrees to find the registration server. I am also it the
process
in deciding what the best base protocol would be, that is TCP/IP or some
higher level prototocol such as RPC or CORBA.

The kind of information that I would expect to be provided be the
registrees
are:

   URL - i.e. protocol, address, port, etc.
   Human Description - A human explanation of the service

To keep the protocol simple and to support easy extension in the future,
believe that maybe all this information should be stored using XML.

In the beginning to ease take up a simple wrapper program could be
provided.

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. List Your Individual Web/Intranet Products/Services

If you are a vendor of Web/Intranet/Internet related products and/or
services, and would like a FREE listing in our On-Line Web/Intranet Vendor
Database, go to:

      http://www.toa.com/Provider_SelfAdd

and add yourself. The TOA home page (http://www.toa.com/) also contains
instructions on how to update your information. You can also add separate
listings for each of your products and/or services

Anyone can examine the On-Line Web/Intranet Vendor Database, searching for
vendors, products, or services

                    === What's In It For You ===

If you are a vendor of Web/Intranet/Internet related products and/or
services, this is yet another place to list yourself. In addition, there
is a good chance your listing will be part of an example database included
with each copy of the Web Business Manager (see TOA's home page).

                    === What's In It For Us ===

At The Object Agency, Inc., we are looking for ways to test certain
capabilities within our product, the Web Business Manager. (It also could
not hurt to get some extra exposure. ;-))

Thank you for any time and consideration.

            -- Ed

Edward V. Berard                  | Voice: (301) 977-8800
The Object Agency, Inc.           | Fax:   (301) 977-9701

Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878-1626 | Home Page: http://www.toa.com/
U.S.A.                            | FTP: ftp://ftp.toa.com/pub
*Consulting, Training, & Research in Web/Internet/Intranet Technology*

2. redirecting a range of ports with packet filter not possible?

3. Apache as intranet webserver on a windows dominated intranet

4. Send 20 FREE Pages of Fax to any Fax machines in the World!

5. *** Intranet unaccessible to Intranet!!! ***

6. ATI Driver for XF 3.3.6 on a PPC running YDL 1.2.1?

7. SERVICE: Brand new type of WWW service!

8. Programs for CPU frequency and temp

9. Firewall Service/Winsock Redirector Service alternatives on Linux?

10. OS Base services and extended services

11. Federated Name Services errors: Not a Context: service

12. services - NIS map v. /etc/services

13. /etc/services server is using all services.