Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Post by xenoph » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Ok, here is the scenario:

I have a thinnet ethernet connection running from the wall to my
Windows95 box.  In that win95 box is a combo card.  On the coaxial
part of the card, I am running a coaxial cable from there to my linux
box, and terminating the ends.  Will this work?  If so, what do I have
to setup on both ends in order for the linux box to see the internet?
Would I have to run the ethernet into the linux box first?  I only
have one static ip address assigned to me.  If this will not work, how
should I set this up if I use two separate ethernet cards in one box
instead of the combo card.  (i.e. which box should have the two cards
in it, and how should I setup the two system's network settings)

                INTERNET

        Combo ethernet card thinnet wire

        COMPUTER A (Win95)

        Coaxial connection of above ethernet card

        COMPUTER B (LINUX)

OR

                INTERNET

        Ethernet card 1 (in win95 box)

        COMPUTER A (Win95)

        Ethernet card 2 (also in win95 box)

        COMPUTER B (LINUX with one ethernet card)

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Post by Jason A. Ramse » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

If you wanted to have your computers on the same network (no routing) that
would work great.  However, if you wish to route, put two NICS or a dual
port NIC in the Linux box, give the outside card your real IP address, add
IP Forwarding, IP Masq, IP (other stuff) to the kernel.  The easiest way to
connect the 95 box is to set up a class c reserved netowork (fake IP
192.168.0.0) on the 95 side and use your Linux box as a router.  Windoze 95
WILL NOT ROUTE under any circunstances.

--
Regards,

Division Manager
Connektech             <http://www.tweedinc.com/connektech>

>Ok, here is the scenario:

>I have a thinnet ethernet connection running from the wall to my
>Windows95 box.  In that win95 box is a combo card.  On the coaxial
>part of the card, I am running a coaxial cable from there to my linux
>box, and terminating the ends.  Will this work?  If so, what do I have
>to setup on both ends in order for the linux box to see the internet?
>Would I have to run the ethernet into the linux box first?  I only
>have one static ip address assigned to me.  If this will not work, how
>should I set this up if I use two separate ethernet cards in one box
>instead of the combo card.  (i.e. which box should have the two cards
>in it, and how should I setup the two system's network settings)

> INTERNET
> |

> Combo ethernet card thinnet wire

> COMPUTER A (Win95)
> |

> Coaxial connection of above ethernet card

> COMPUTER B (LINUX)

>OR

> INTERNET
> |

> Ethernet card 1 (in win95 box)

> COMPUTER A (Win95)
> |

> Ethernet card 2 (also in win95 box)

> COMPUTER B (LINUX with one ethernet card)

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Post by Kirk Bau » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: : > The following diagram is what you want to do.  Or a hub is nearly as cheap
: : > (and more expandable) then a second NIC.

: : >        INTERNET
: : >          |
: : >          |
: : >         HUB
: : >        /   \
: : >      BOX1  BOX2

: : this will not work with resnet ports. I've tried.  Actually it will work
: : but VERY VERY sporatically and slooooooooooooooooooooowwww.

: Why not?  (I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious)  As long as both
: boxes have valid IPs, I don't see where any slowdown would occur.  A hub
: would simply pass the packets through, so there should be no delay there.
: All that is happening is you allow two boxes to connect. (in theory)

I don't know why this is cross-posted, but *in GA Tech dorms only*:

look at my last post.  It explains why.  I also forgot to
mention that the hubs take a bit to learn new addresses sometimes...

As long as only one computer is sending/receiving packets at
a time, then it works okay.  Until OIT notices and shuts your
port off, that is.  Problem is that computers send packets all
the time when you don't know it.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

   http://www.kaybee.org/~kirk/html        ResNet RTA

Post by Bob » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> not supposed to do it either.  If you do, OIT will get
> mad at you.

I used to do it. :)
I just use the hub for transfering btwn computers now.

bob

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Post by Kirk Bau » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: > not supposed to do it either.  If you do, OIT will get
: > mad at you.

: I used to do it. :)
: I just use the hub for transfering btwn computers now.

It used to work because they did not always have all the
security options turned on for all the subnets. AFAIK, they
do now...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

   http://www.kaybee.org/~kirk/html        ResNet RTA

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Post by Bob » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I don't even live on campus - I was just discussing the possibility of
> doin this.  So I guess that masquerading is the way to go.

oh, well if you don't even live on campus and the hub your connecting
is "smart" or something insanely secure you should have no problem
doing what we were talking about. go nuts.

bob

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Quote:> The following diagram is what you want to do.  Or a hub is nearly as cheap

Post by Cory D. Ki » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: > The following diagram is what you want to do.  Or a hub is nearly as cheap
: > (and more expandable) then a second NIC.

: >  INTERNET
: >    |
: >    |
: >   HUB
: >  /   \
: >      BOX1  BOX2

: this will not work with resnet ports. I've tried.  Actually it will work
: but VERY VERY sporatically and slooooooooooooooooooooowwww.

Why not?  (I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious)  As long as both
boxes have valid IPs, I don't see where any slowdown would occur.  A hub
would simply pass the packets through, so there should be no delay there.
All that is happening is you allow two boxes to connect. (in theory)

                -Cory

--
  /\   Georgia Tech     |         Cory Kidd
 /  \  Atlanta, GA      |      CS and STAC major

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Post by Bob » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Why not?  (I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious)  As long as both
> boxes have valid IPs, I don't see where any slowdown would occur.  A hub
> would simply pass the packets through, so there should be no delay there.
> All that is happening is you allow two boxes to connect. (in theory)
>            -Cory

hahaha. am I always argueing!?? :)

well, I think it has something to do with the Central hubs. They may only
allow like One node on One port. So when I have two computers
connected on the same port, the central hub goes wacko and a lot of the time
both ip's won't work, especially when Both computers are trying to access
stuff off the network. If one is OFF (obviously) it works fine.
I have a 4 port hub with a crossedover twisted pair cable going from
the wall to the hub (I have to use a special cable b/c the hub doesn't have
that crossover feature) then I have a desktop and a laptop and my laptop
connected to the hub.  I keep my craptop off most of the time
( I wish I can have both on ) I may try IP
masquerading some time when I scrounge up some time.

bob

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Post by Bob » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> : I have a thinnet ethernet connection running from the wall to my
> : Windows95 box.  In that win95 box is a combo card.  On the coaxial
> : part of the card, I am running a coaxial cable from there to my linux
> : box, and terminating the ends.  Will this work?  If so, what do I have
> No - it will not.  No board that I know of is capable of communicating with
> both transeviers at the same time.

I've heard of it. that is all.

bob

Networking Linux Box to Win95 Box using ethernet connection and Combo card

Post by Kirk Bau » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: > The following diagram is what you want to do.  Or a hub is nearly as cheap
: > (and more expandable) then a second NIC.

: >  INTERNET
: >    |
: >    |
: >   HUB
: >  /   \
: >      BOX1  BOX2

: this will not work with resnet ports. I've tried.  Actually it will work
: but VERY VERY sporatically and slooooooooooooooooooooowwww.

It is because the security on the hubs.  Every time a packet
comes into the hub from your room, it memorizes the Eth and
IP addresses.

So, this is what happens:
CompA => internet (hub knows computer A)
CompB => internet (hub knows computer B instead of A)
internet => CompA (hub has no idea who computer A is)
(30 seconds later)
CompA => internet (oh, now the hub knows who CompA is!)

it doesn't work to hook up a hub to the wall.  You are
not supposed to do it either.  If you do, OIT will get
mad at you.

You should have one cable coming out of your port going
into one ethernet card.  Nothing more.  You can use
IP masquerading if you want more...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> look at my last post.  It explains why.  I also forgot to
> mention that the hubs take a bit to learn new addresses sometimes...

> As long as only one computer is sending/receiving packets at
> a time, then it works okay.  Until OIT notices and shuts your
> port off, that is.  Problem is that computers send packets all
> the time when you don't know it.

Heh... we have the same type of thing here at WPI...  I can't even *count*
the number of times we (Network Operations) have gone out - "I tried my
roommates computer in the port, and now my machine can't see the network!" :-)

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 4.9.1 Linux 2.0.32   i586   | at public servers
Norm:  Hey, everybody.
All:   [silence; everybody is mad at Norm for being rich.]
Norm:  [Carries on both sides of the conversation himself.]
       Norm!   (Norman.)
       How are you feeling today, Norm?
       Rich and thirsty.  Pour me a beer.
                -- Cheers, Tan 'n Wash

[...]

Post by Ed Beros » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>If you wanted to have your computers on the same network (no routing) that
>would work great.  However, if you wish to route, put two NICS or a dual
>port NIC in the Linux box, give the outside card your real IP address, add
>IP Forwarding, IP Masq, IP (other stuff) to the kernel.  The easiest way to
>connect the 95 box is to set up a class c reserved netowork (fake IP
>192.168.0.0) on the 95 side and use your Linux box as a router.  Windoze 95
>WILL NOT ROUTE under any circunstances.

FWIW, I have just such a network set up at my house, but I have a
problem with it that I've not yet been able to diagnose.

The network has two Linux boxes and (occasionally) a Win95 laptop.
All of the machines have "fake" IP addresses and one of the Linux
boxes (the dual 200MHz Pentium hotrod) is set up with an external
modem for use with a dialup account.  I have IP-masquerading turned on
so that my lowly Windows box can "see" the net when I'm connected via
the PPP account.  I have been using Netscape for mail, usenet, and
browser on the Linux box.  Everything has been working quite well
until relatively recently.

When I attempt to fetch news, Netscape reports that I get anywhere
from 39 to 215 bytes (it usually stops at the numbers 39, 211, and
215) and then stalls.  I can't convince it to go on from there, and
when I use dmesg, I see the following message:

MASQ: failed TCP/UDP checksum from 206.86.8.14

I am unable to get beyond this, but have done some troubleshooting.  I
fired up Pine to check to see if it was a netscape problem.  It
doesn't seem to be, since Pine has the same problem.  Then I used
Eudora on the Win95 laptop and attempted to fetch my mail.  It stalls
too, and I get the TCP/UDP checksum error message on the Linux box.
When I attach the modem to the Win95 box (as it is right now), I get
in with no problem.  The baffling parts to me are:

1.  Why did it work for some time and THEN fail?
2.  What can I do to further isolate the problem?  (I've been looking
into poking through the ip_masq.c code)
3.  How can I fix it?

Mindspring, my ISP, has never responded to my questions, even though I
sent them several email messages about this problem.  They don't
support Linux, you see, so I guess they figure they can simply ignore
me without even the courtesy of a reply saying, "We don't support
Linux."  <sigh>

Ed

Post by Bob » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> If you wanted to have your computers on the same network (no routing) that
> would work great.  However, if you wish to route, put two NICS or a dual
> port NIC in the Linux box, give the outside card your real IP address, add
> IP Forwarding, IP Masq, IP (other stuff) to the kernel.  The easiest way to
> connect the 95 box is to set up a class c reserved netowork (fake IP
> 192.168.0.0) on the 95 side and use your Linux box as a router.  Windoze 95
> WILL NOT ROUTE under any circunstances.

sure it will.  I don't know how thoough but it is done at my home .

bob.