Force Dyn IP to Static IP

Post by Tyler Anderse » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I got thinking the other day and was wondering if this was possible...
I am assigned a dynamic IP from my ISP. Would it be possible to some how
force it to use the same IP everytime? (Using DHCP perhaps?). I know that I
run the risk of that IP already being taken, but is it still possible? If
you could somehow find an IP number that is hardly ever used by your ISP,
you could avoid having to pay for a static one.

Thanks for you help,

Tyler

Force Dyn IP to Static IP

Post by Rudolf Potuc » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I don't know about Windoze but the linux dhcpcd has a cache file located
somewhere in /var/run. I believe it tries to reconnect to the same IP if
possible (there is a "suggest IP to server demon") command ...

Then again the point of using DHCP by the ISP is to anslave you and so
they make pretty sure you get a new address once in a while. Would be too
easy to set up a server otherwise, eh ;)

--

Force Dyn IP to Static IP

Post by bgee » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

 >Then again the point of using DHCP by the ISP is to anslave you ...

What a load of crap.  Dynamic IP conserves network addresses,
considering that the prospect of no more permutations of the
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx form is eminent.  Until standards for a "new" [NSAP?]
address are accepted & implemented, every IP not static is
recycleable, which is a good thing!

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky /              *             <>

<>   Salt Lake City, Utah   |   -\<,      * <\      </L   <>
<>          U S A           |   O/ O     __ /__,    />    <>

1. Dual-homed with static-IP ISDN and dyn-IP DSL

I'm installing a server at a site which has access to a service
providing a shared T1 for a reasonable price - but you get a dynamic
IP behind a firewall, and we need a static IP to host a server on.  We
can also get Centrex ISDN and a static IP for relatively cheap on a
metered basis.

I'm pondering a hybrid solution.  Use the ISDN to provide the static
IP for all connections initiated from the Internet, while using an
IPMasquerade/NAT router to let the LAN browse the Internet through the
shared T1.  The network would look somewhat like:

   +-------------+ static +--------+ dynamic +-----------+
   | ISDN router +--------+ IPMasq +---------+ shared T1 |
   +-------------+  IP    +---+----+   IP    +-----------+

                       ...----+----...
                     Internal private LAN

All connections initiated from the Internet to the static IP should
communicate through the ISDN.  All connections initiated from the
internal LAN to the Internet should communicate through the shared T1.

Does that make sense?  Anyone done something similar?

I suspect that it's possible, since the IPMasq machine _should_ route
packets from the static IP out the ISDN interface.  What's less clear
is whether I'll have any chance to direct certain other traffic (such
as email) out that interface.  [I mention email because some sites
will block emails who's headers don't appear to mesh with the site the
connection is actually from.]

Perhaps I could put the default route through the ISDN, and use an
http proxy on the IPMasq host to redirect high-volume web surfing
through the shared T1.  I know I can do that with two machines (the
IPMasq with the ISDN as the default gateway, plus a second with the
shared T1 as the default gateway, both on the private LAN).  Can I do
it with one?

Thanks for any insights,
--

<Favorite unused computer book title: The Compleat Demystified Idiots
  Guide to the Zen of Dummies in a Nutshell in Seven Days, Unleashed>

2. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

3. IP over IP to make static IP?

4. linksys 2-station cpu switch ('proconnect') and X11 (keyscan bug?)

5. Dynamic IP, Linux & WinME - howto get Win to web via dyn.IP linux?

6. nvidia tviwnview does not work - buggy drivers ?

7. Force Dynamic IP to Remain Static?

8. statm fields in ps(1) and top(1)

9. DHCP ip address vs static ip

10. IP Masquerading, NO Static IP, and Windows 95 ???

11. Static IP address from Dynamic IP

12. ISP assigns a static ip to the router, ip of eth0 ?

13. NAT and STatic IP addressing with ip