trasparent proxy.

Post by AM » Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:46:24

Hi folks,

I'm setting up a proxy and redirecting all the HTTP traffic, but that coming from the proxy, that
enters the LAN interface of my Cisco router to the proxy.
Do I need to put the eth0 of my linux proxy (say 192.168.2.56) in promiscous mode so that it reads
also the packets directed to IP addresses different from 192.168.2.56, i.e. all the Internet addresses?

Is there any other things I need?

Some articles on Internet say that building up a transparent proxy is so easy but I can't have my
linux proxy working properly?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

trasparent proxy.

Post by AM » Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:01:29

>>Do I need to put the eth0 of my linux proxy (say 192.168.2.56) in
>>promiscous mode so that it reads

> No.

>>Is there any other things I need?

> It would be nice if you could trim your line length to around 75
> characters... it makes the text much more readable.

I'm sorry Davide,
I'll bear in mind next time.

Quote:

> And yes, add a NAT rule to redirect the connection from your
> gateway to the proxy.

That's the problem. The NAT action on a Cisco it's particularly tricky
in such case.
Maybe I can apply the NAT rule on the Linux box.Is it possible. I would
like to know what happen to packets with dest address different from the
IP address of the proxy. Are they processed anyway by the interface and
then discarded by the proxy?

Moreover, where could I find information about the way a client wraps up
the HTTP requests. I realize this not a network topic but if you knew it
I would appreciate it.

AND...If you are Italian, may you tell me where we can speak about the
same topic in Italian? :-)

Alex

trasparent proxy.

Post by AM » Sat, 13 Jan 2007 06:27:58

> it.comp.os.linux.sys sounds appropriate.

OK see you there!

1. trasparent windows

i'd like to know i can i have trasparent windows on my KDE?
I use KDE 1.1.1 on MDK 6.0
Someone can help?

Thanx since now

my English is quite bad... with the word "trasparent" i mean when i can see the
image that stays in the background with my windows opened ...
THX!

Marco

2. Sounds Dumb - Creative Labs CD-ROM Setup

3. ftp client proxy ms proxy firewall http proxy unix

4. only allowed one netscape in RH7?

5. Using an outside proxy server form behind a proxy server

6. PPP in Parallel.

7. Proxy Client for M$ Proxy server

8. Problems with Cups 1.1.14-15 and SMB printing

9. To proxy or not to proxy?

10. Proxy (Cache-Proxies) Standard?

11. Proxy Logging into another Proxy...

12. Proxy over Proxy - SSL possible?