Installing Debian via the Internet bootdisk error

Installing Debian via the Internet bootdisk error

Post by Andy » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 06:37:48

Hello

I want to install Debian on an old laptop with only a floppydrive and a
pcmcia ethernetcard (Xircom) but I get an error, when the kernel linux.bin
is loaded I get this message.

Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02

How can I solve this problem and what does it mean ?

PS: I'm a newbie :)

Post by Alan Conno » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 07:39:13

> Hello

> I want to install Debian on an old laptop with only a floppydrive and a
> pcmcia ethernetcard (Xircom) but I get an error, when the kernel linux.bin
> is loaded I get this message.

> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02

> How can I solve this problem and what does it mean ?

> PS: I'm a newbie :)

There is a second floppy you need to create from a file on the CD. You
should be able to find its path in the docs or even from the install program.

It contains the root filesystem and you have to load it after loading and
removing the boot floppy.

--
Later, Alan C
You can find my email address at the website: contact.html

1. Debian 2.2.13 (potato)--enable send via ppp0, receive via ts0

Hi all,

I have been told that Debian includes a parameter somewhere in the Debian
network config which by default will prevent packets received on one (ts0)
interface being recognised as responses to packets sent on the ppp0
interface. I need to reverse this prevention setting.  Any tips?  I
currently have little more than a floppy base install so text-based fixes
would be appreciated.

I've installed and run the latest "unstable" distribution.  apt-get has been
impressive but I've hit a circular problem.  I can't install gnome-core
because of dependency issues (mainly gnome-bin not configured) but when I
remove it and try and install gnome-bin I hit other dependency issues.  I've
tried installing different packages first but none of them will initialise
because of the others dependency issues.  Any tips on how to get these to
install also would also be appreciated.  I can remove them all so that I'm
left with a system where all the remaining packages are properly installed
but cannot install the addition packages I need to get X up and running
(this is probably due to not running the latest stable distribution of
Debian).

Thanks,
Adam Warner

2. Upgrade from 2.5 to 2.5.1

3. debian 'potato' new install: taking advantage of a shared Internet connection

4. Probleem met netwerkkaart

5. Debian pre1.1 install via ftp

6. Need (today's date + [1-7] days)

7. Problem Installing Debian Woody3.0 via NFS Packages.gz corrupt

8. Webcam for Solaris

9. Debian 3CD-set install via FTP

10. Installing debian 3.0 from internet

11. How to install unstable debian on a computer with no internet connection?

12. Debian packages, installing from the Internet

13. Installing Debian via PCMCIA (on laptop)