What does "SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument" mean?

What does "SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument" mean?

Post by Frithiof Andreas Jense » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a tiny Internet Cafe with one Linux with Redhat 5.1 as the
Gateway/Intranet Server connected with a crossover ethernet cable to a
Windows95 machine. I use diald to connect.

Things generally works great - but when I eventually reboot the Linux
machine, the network seems to shut down and the only way to get it back up
again is to keep running the "ifdown eth0, ifup eth0" scripts until the
Linux machine appear in the "Net Hood" on the Windows Machine. Once there,
the net will be up for as long as the Linux box is running - had it going
for weeks.

When the "ifup eth0" script runs I get the "SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument"
message - which gives me the feeling that something is wrong ;-)

But *what* ?

Could someone give me a hint please.

Thanks,
Frithiof Jensen.

Oh - one more thing - how should I configure the serial port to get my
WiseCom K56 Flex modem to *do* 56K?
(I get tranfer rates of about 3-5K/sec, which should be about 36k - better
than my old 28k modem but not quite).

Post by Jeff Garzi » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: When the "ifup eth0" script runs I get the "SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument"
: message - which gives me the feeling that something is wrong ;-)

I got this when I used a 2.0.36-compiled route command under a 2.1.x
kernel.

        Jeff

1. Getting "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument" with 'route add' ...?

I'm running a somewhat-upgraded version of Debian 2.1 with
kernel 2.2.6, and I've noticed this worrying message in my
startup sequence.

After some investigation, I've discovered it's occurring
during /etc/init.d/network, specifically, the "route"
command.

This is my /etc/init.d/network file:

        #! /bin/sh
        ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
        route add -net 127.0.0.0
        ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2
        route add -net 192.168.1.0 dev eth0

..and each (yes, I get it twice) of the "route add" lines
produces:

        SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

I've tried issuing the commands manually as well, and
get the same thing.  However, the routing table
does appear to be being updated correctly.  I can
ping loopback, and my computer works fine on my local
mini-LAN via eth0.

This happens if just the loopback is used, as well -- i.e.,
if I remove the last two lines.  (Actually, this
started before I even added the eth0 device to my PC.)

I know this has been happening ever since I upgraded my
kernel to 2.2.6 -- I'm not sure if it happened before, but
I don't think it did...

It doesn't seem to be a serious error, but it worries me,
and I'd like to fix it.

If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks...

 Alex Taylor                  BA - CIS - University of Guelph

2. Urgent request: FAT partition damage

3. HELP! "SIOCADDRT: Invalid Argument"

4. Help! Install Debian (3Meg RAM, 1 floppy)??

5. routing trouble "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument "

6. core file

7. "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument"

8. permission bits

9. Getting "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument" with 'route add' ...?

10. Local forwarding with "iptables" gives "invalid arguments"

11. What does this mean: SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

13. what is the "SIOCADDRT : Unknown Error 101 !" meaning?