NFS mount trouble: RPC not registered?

Post by d.. » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to get a two node home LAN to mount directories and I'm
stuck.  I've checked all the HOWTOs - but I can seem to find this one.
I have two nodes (upstairs - server, and downstairs).  They can ping one
another, rlogin, export displays etc., but the NFS mounting is hosed.
It won't mount during bootup and when I do it manually

mount: RPC: Program not registered

If I had an intelligent opinion about what this is you'd hear it.  All I
have is - what does this mean?
If any one out there needs a little info, I hope this is relevant:

Upstairs /etc/fstab:
downstairs:/net  /mnt/net     nfs     hard,intr,rsize=1024,wsize=1024
0 0

Downstairs /etc/exports:
/net           upstairs(rw)

/net is on the downstairs node and I want to mount it on the upstairs
one.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate
it.

TIA

Dan

Post by James Gillespi » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to get a two node home LAN to mount directories and I'm
> stuck.  I've checked all the HOWTOs - but I can seem to find this one.
> I have two nodes (upstairs - server, and downstairs).  They can ping one
> another, rlogin, export displays etc., but the NFS mounting is hosed.
> It won't mount during bootup and when I do it manually

> mount: RPC: Program not registered

[SNIP]

Have you checked to see if the nfsd daemon is running, and have you shared
the filesystem that you want to share? I have not done too much with nfs
under linux, but in Solaris the file /etc/dfs/dfstab is where you share
files, and on boot if there are entries in this file then the nfsd daemon
will start automatically. Running /etc/init.d/nfs.server manually will start
the daemon manually if you share the filesystem manually.

Hope this helps,

Jim Gillespie

1. NFS mount problems: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

Hello!

I am trying to mount a NFS volume on an old Linux 2.0.27 system
but recieve the following error message:

mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

The most confusing thing is that this mountpoint has worked
for several years...

The system is a RedHat 4.1 installation and I assumed
that nfs-server-2.2beta16-5 is the package involved.
Accordingly to rpm the files from the package are intact.

The NFS-server is a SunOS 5.7 system and the admin people
tell me that they know of no recent changes that could have
caused the previously working setup to fail...

I have check that rpc.nfsd is running and have rebooted the
system but the error remains.

Please Help!

/Bj?rn Medin

Bj?rn Medin
Product Manager
RF-IC and Modules

Ericsson Microelectronics AB
Isafjordsgatan 16, KISTA     Phone:  +46 8 757 4162
S-164 81 KISTA - STOCKHOLM   Mobile: +46 70 5677289
Sweden                       Telefax:+46 8 757 4236

2. 2.4.16 memory badness (reproducible)

3. NFS: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

4. elf vs aout

5. Help! NFS mount: RPC: Program not registered

6. How to install SCSI Fujitsu DynaMO 640SE drive on Solaris?

7. NFS problem - mount cntupd_create: RPC: Program not registered

8. Booting from ZIP

9. NFS problem mount: RPC: Program not registered

10. nfs mount -- RPC: Program not registered

11. nfs fails to work gives mount: RPC: Program not registered

12. RPC Prog not registered NFS mounting error

13. NFS mount fails with "RPC: program not registered"; help!