1. cannot solve "Samba-win98 problems" , pls help.
I need help , in solving below problems...
1. linuxpc1 to win98 = ok , using smbmount to mount win98
2. win98 to linuxpc1 = not ok , network neighborhood can see linuxpc1
but when click , it said 'The Computer or Share name could not be
found , make sure you type it correctly and try again'
Things that I have tried.
1. ping from both side , win98 client and linuxpc1 both ok
2. test by setting the smb.conf encryp password = yes and create a
user by using adduser and smbpasswd same as win98
3. also DIAGNOSIS.txt
- in the test 4 Run the command "smbclient -L BIGSERVER" on the unix box,
[Q]I don't know whether this is the error ?,
tdb(null):tdb_open_ex:could not open
file /var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb:no such file or
- in test 5 also the same win98 clien,client can be found but just the
could not open file /var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb also !
- test 7 , smbclient //linuxpc1/tmp work fine , smb>
- test 8 , failed
Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be
Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try again
later when the remote computer is available.
4. others setting
on win98 , network setting
-wins server is enable and point to linuxpc1
-dns is disable ( I enable it before , but seems that after I enable it
when I ping my linuxpc1 using the name linuxpc1 , it reply with my win98
ip NOT MY LINUXPC ip. so I disable it
-windows/host file , I added linuxpc 192.168.0.149
-windows/lmhost , no changes
on linuxpc1 , network setting
enable wins support
disable dns proxy
disable domain master
disable domain logons
disable wins proxy
-share directory set to
Browseable = yes
kalmennb001 , 192.168.0.252
linuxpc1 , 192.168.0.149
localhosr , 127.0.0.1
<DNS search path>
CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO LOOK INTO THIS PROBLEMS , thanks in advance.
2. How to get XDM Chooser working?
3. SOLVED: X Font problems w/ Stealth SE
4. Password aging question
5. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux
6. Installing SOCKS proxy on RedHat 4.2
7. Dual boot problem caused by Win98 solved
8. How to migrate solaris user to linux ?
9. HP OpenSpool and Retail Logic SOLVE/SE products
10. Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98
11. Portserver seems to have caused strange problems
12. Problem Solved: Linux and Win98 (Internet Connection Sharing)
13. Samba question: Win98 workstation with a private IP can't see Samba