hosts allow and deny

Post by Aaron Slepeck » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I ahve been trying to allow pop3 ans smtp from my isp to our corp network
for a while.  I have tried everything from editing the firewall to crying,
nothing has worked until now.  I edited my hosts.deny to deny no one and
hosts.allow to allow all.  Now I can pop fine.  this is incredibly
unsafe!  But the only way I can get it to work.

Is anyone honest enough to tell me how to config these files to be a
little safer, such as just allowing pop3?  I have tried just allowing
specific processes (pop3, ftp etc.) but nothing works except for allowing
all.

Cheers,
Aaron

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

hosts allow and deny

Post by Clifford Ki » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: nothing has worked until now.  I edited my hosts.deny to deny no one and
: hosts.allow to allow all.  Now I can pop fine.  this is incredibly
: unsafe!  But the only way I can get it to work.

: Is anyone honest enough to tell me how to config these files to be a
: little safer, such as just allowing pop3?  I have tried just allowing
: specific processes (pop3, ftp etc.) but nothing works except for allowing
: all.

Here are the definitive man pages:

man hosts_options
man 5 hosts_access

Perhaps others may have specific examples that can provide additional
insight.

--

/* The wealth of a nation is created by the productive labor of its
 * citizens. */

1. HELP with tcp_wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny

I've been going round and round with trying to get hosts.allow and deny
to restrict access from telnet and cant figure it out.  I've read the
man pages and searched the web.  I've tried all the examples but none
seem to work.

I want to deny telnet access from everyone but people in my domain.
This is what I have in hosts.deny:

in.telnetd: ALL EXCEPT .jps.net

I've tried

in.telnetd: ALL : DENY EXCEPT .jps.net

I've tried in.telnetd: ALL in hosts.deny and an entry in hosts.allow for
my domain and that still doesn't work.  Cany anyone help me out with
this?  So far whatever I do just denies telnet access from everyone.

2. XFree86 configuration

3. hosts.allow /hosts.deny

4. Can't change broadcast IP address with Sol

5. host.allow and host.deny config help Please

6. alternative to cron?

7. Portmap not reading hosts.allow and hosts.deny?

8. how to send special keyboard key (Alt_R,Shift_R,...) by C or Shell

9. How do hosts.allow and hosts.deny relate to ipchains?

10. hosts.deny / hosts.allow SunOS 4.1.4 ?

11. quation about hosts.allow hosts.deny

12. Host.allow/host.deny

13. configuring hosts.allow and hosts.deny???