pppd, reconnecting and a masquerade box

Post by Hannib » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:11:26

I have been trying to set up IP masquerading for my home lan.  For the
most part, it is going quite well.  I am having trouble, however, when
I reconnect.  I manually connect, my modem negotiates, I log in, my
firewall goes up and I'm set.  Eight hours later when my ISP
disconnects me is when the problems start.  I'm using the "persist"
option for pppd.  When I turn "persist" off and manually reconnect,
everything works fine: modem negotiates, logs in, firewall starts, lan
has access.  However, when I allow pppd to reconnect itself: modem
negotiates, logs in, firewall starts, lan has no access.  I just can't
seem to figure out what's going on.  I'm sorry for not attach my shell
scripts for connecting, I don't have them on my at the moment.  Any
help would be appreciated.    Thanks.

Judeman

Post by Clifford Kit » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:19:26

> I have been trying to set up IP masquerading for my home lan.  For the
> most part, it is going quite well.  I am having trouble, however, when
> I reconnect.  I manually connect, my modem negotiates, I log in, my
> firewall goes up and I'm set.  Eight hours later when my ISP
> disconnects me is when the problems start.  I'm using the "persist"
> option for pppd.  When I turn "persist" off and manually reconnect,
> everything works fine: modem negotiates, logs in, firewall starts, lan
> has access.  However, when I allow pppd to reconnect itself: modem
> negotiates, logs in, firewall starts, lan has no access.

Have you checked the PPP interface routing with "route -n" to see if
it's okay?

--

/* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
   debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

pppd, reconnecting and a masquerade box

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:32:05

Hi!,

Quote:> I have been trying to set up IP masquerading for my home lan.  For the
> most part, it is going quite well.  I am having trouble, however, when
> I reconnect.  I manually connect, my modem negotiates, I log in, my
> firewall goes up and I'm set.  Eight hours later when my ISP
> disconnects me is when the problems start.  I'm using the "persist"
> option for pppd.  When I turn "persist" off and manually reconnect,
> everything works fine: modem negotiates, logs in, firewall starts, lan
> has access.  However, when I allow pppd to reconnect itself: modem
> negotiates, logs in, firewall starts, lan has no access.  I just can't
> seem to figure out what's going on.  I'm sorry for not attach my shell
> scripts for connecting, I don't have them on my at the moment.  Any
> help would be appreciated.    Thanks.

It depends on the construction of your firewall, but you may actually have to
flush your firewall and bring it up again everytime you reconnect to your PPP
carrier.  This will certainly have to happen if your firewall has got a PPP IP
address reference in there.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by Hannib » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 04:35:18

> Hi!,

> > I have been trying to set up IP masquerading for my home lan.  For the
> > most part, it is going quite well.  I am having trouble, however, when
> > I reconnect.  I manually connect, my modem negotiates, I log in, my
> > firewall goes up and I'm set.  Eight hours later when my ISP
> > disconnects me is when the problems start.  I'm using the "persist"
> > option for pppd.  When I turn "persist" off and manually reconnect,
> > everything works fine: modem negotiates, logs in, firewall starts, lan
> > has access.  However, when I allow pppd to reconnect itself: modem
> > negotiates, logs in, firewall starts, lan has no access.  I just can't
> > seem to figure out what's going on.  I'm sorry for not attach my shell
> > scripts for connecting, I don't have them on my at the moment.  Any
> > help would be appreciated.    Thanks.

> It depends on the construction of your firewall, but you may actually have to
> flush your firewall and bring it up again everytime you reconnect to your PPP
> carrier.  This will certainly have to happen if your firewall has got a PPP IP
> address reference in there.

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

> --
> +____________________________+____________________________________________+

> | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
> | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
> | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
> | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
> | Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

Well, I built a script to flush the firewall rules but that didn't
work.  I've checked route and the tables look ok so I'm not really
sure what is going on.  I finally got diald to work for me and so I'm
using that.  I am still curious, though, as to what was wrong with my
pppd config.  Any further help would be great.  Thank you very much.

Judeman