eth0: Bus master arbitration failure

Post by Richard Golde » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

OK, here's the situation:

486/66 DX2
Miro 20SD graphics card
Soundblaster PRO 0x240 int7 dma3
HPJ2405A 0x300 int10 dma6

I'm using the AMD Lance driver.

At boot I get the message:
eth0: bus master arbitration error status 88f2

I've checked lance.c (configured driver), and this error
seems to be returned as result of a flag in the registers.

using AMD Lance driver for WIN95.

Any help is appriciated.
Richard

Post by Koen J. Mulde » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>OK, here's the situation:
>486/66 DX2
>Miro 20SD graphics card
>Soundblaster PRO 0x240 int7 dma3
>HPJ2405A 0x300 int10 dma6
>I'm using the AMD Lance driver.
>At boot I get the message:
>eth0: bus master arbitration error status 88f2

I've seen these too, with two different PCI lance cards. They don't seem
very important as the systems work great otherwise.

--
Koen Mulders

eth0: Bus master arbitration failure

Post by Dave Pla » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>OK, here's the situation:

>486/66 DX2
>Miro 20SD graphics card
>Soundblaster PRO 0x240 int7 dma3
>HPJ2405A 0x300 int10 dma6

>I'm using the AMD Lance driver.

>At boot I get the message:
>eth0: bus master arbitration error status 88f2

>I've checked lance.c (configured driver), and this error
>seems to be returned as result of a flag in the registers.

This error indicates that the Lance chip attempted to access your system
memory via DMA, and the motherboard DMA controller did not acknowledge
its request within 50 microseconds.

The commonest reasons I've seen for this error are:

[1] Motherboard chipsets with broken DMA support.  A case in point:  the
    Saturn-II PCI chipset supports a mode called "ISA GAT" (guaranteed
    access time).  If this feature is enabled, ISA DMA requests may time
    out.  Cure: disable the feature in your chipset/BIOS setup screen.

[2] Other DMA devices "hogging" the bus.  The commonest culprits seem to
    be SCSI controller cards which do ISA busmastering (e.g. Adaptec
    1542, BusLogic, certain Future Domain, etc.).  Cure: change
    switch/jumper settings on the controller card, or in the Linux
    device driver, to decrease the "bus on / bus off" time ratio, so
    that the SCSI controller gives up the bus more frequently.

[3] I've heard that some motherboards don't support ISA busmastering in
    all slots.  Try moving your cards around.

If you see the busmaster-conflict message only once (or a few times) at
bootup, or occasionally during operation, it may not actually interfere
with the card's use all that much.  Recent kernels contain code to allow
the Lance to recover from this error without too much pain.

If you get a constant flow of such messages, you've got bigger
problems...
--

      USNAIL: The 3DO Company, Systems Software group
              600 Galveston Drive

eth0: Bus master arbitration failure

Post by Richard Golde » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> >At boot I get the message:
> >eth0: bus master arbitration error status 88f2
> I've seen these too, with two different PCI lance cards. They > don't seem
> very important as the systems work great otherwise.

Hmmm. I thought that eth0: bus mas... was the problem.

I guess I forgot to mention that I cannot communicate with
the net.  Under WIN95, there is no problem.  But, Linux can't
ping past localhost.

Maybe my problem is elsewhere.

I can ping 127.0.0.0 and my local IP address, but I cannot ping
anything else.

If eth0: bus mas... is not the problem, what could be?

Richard

1. eth0: Bus master arbitration failure, status 88f3.

Hi.

I recently inherited a couple of TD-30 Intergraph Machines and they are
really neat machines.  However, I installed RedHat 4.1 on one of them and
keep on seeing this error on my /var/log/messages file:

eth0: Bus master arbitration failure, status 88f3.

My manual says that the Motherboard has the following On-Board:
PCI Bus:
(PCI) SCSI Controller (AIC 7850-based),
AMD PCnet-PCI Ethernet Controller (AM79C970)
Host Bridge:
Consists of Intel's PCI/Cache/Memory Controller (PMC 82434NX) and two
Local Bus Accelerators (LBX 83433NX.)

Besides that, the on-board mga2064w-based video and IO Controller.

Where can the "conflict" possibly be at?
This machine shouldn't need any jumpers to be set, and the Boot-Up BIOS
doesn't have much to be changed.

Finally, here are:
cat /proc/ioports

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-009f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : npu
02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
03c0-03df : vga+
03f0-03f5 : floppy
03f7-03f7 : floppy DIR
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
f800-f8be : aic7xxx
ff80-ff97 : PCnet32

cat /proc/dma
 4: cascade

cat /proc/interrupts
 0:   68130714   timer
 1:     180732   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 9:     428742 + aic7xxx
12:    1677446   PS/2 Mouse
13:          1   math error
15:    6079491   PCnet32

Any help? :-/

This problem can make this machine's network access very slow at times,
specially when I connect to it after a long period of idleness :|

Thanks a Bunch in Advance,

Jose R. Cordones

2. Converting hex to double using C

3. Playing ADPCM WAVs on Linux

4. What is "eth0: Bus master arbitration failure.." ?

5. AMD Thunderbird

6. Help! eth0:Bus master arbitration failure

7. generic CGI database type script

8. eth0: Bus master arbitration failure

9. What is this?--eth0: Bus master arbitration failure, status 88f3.

10. eth0: Bus master arbitration failure, status 88f2.

11. kernel: eth0: Bus master arbitration failure, status 88f3

12. eth0: Bus master arbitration failure