pppd on demand problem

Post by Serge » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Dear friends,

I have a problem with pppd configured to dial on demand to my ISP. The ISP has modem pools each connected to all the routers it has. In that way connection never established with the same router. That means the dialin server's ip is changing from connection to connection. But I should configure the fixed ip in the pppd's parameters to let pppd setup the routing information. And it's not working, of course.

Is where are any possibility to force negotiation of the remote ip when connection comes up?

Thanks,

Sergey

pppd on demand problem

Post by W.G. Unr » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Yes, you do have problems, but I do not think they have anything to do with
pppd.

>RGVhciBmcmllbmRzLA0KDQpJIGhhdmUgYSBwcm9ibGVtIHdpdGggcHBwZCBjb25maWd1cmVkIHRv
>IGRpYWwgb24gZGVtYW5kIHRvIG15IElTUC4gVGhlIElTUCBoYXMgbW9kZW0gcG9vbHMgZWFjaCBj
>b25uZWN0ZWQgdG8gYWxsIHRoZSByb3V0ZXJzIGl0IGhhcy4gSW4gdGhhdCB3YXkgY29ubmVjdGlv
>biBuZXZlciBlc3RhYmxpc2hlZCB3aXRoIHRoZSBzYW1lIHJvdXRlci4gVGhhdCBtZWFucyB0aGUg
>ZGlhbGluIHNlcnZlcidzIGlwIGlzIGNoYW5naW5nIGZyb20gY29ubmVjdGlvbiB0byBjb25uZWN0
>aW9uLiBCdXQgSSBzaG91bGQgY29uZmlndXJlIHRoZSBmaXhlZCBpcCBpbiB0aGUgcHBwZCdzIHBh
>cmFtZXRlcnMgdG8gbGV0IHBwcGQgc2V0dXAgdGhlIHJvdXRpbmcgaW5mb3JtYXRpb24uIEFuZCBp
>dCdzIG5vdCB3b3JraW5nLCBvZiBjb3Vyc2UuDQoNCklzIHdoZXJlIGFyZSBhbnkgcG9zc2liaWxp
>dHkgdG8gZm9yY2UgbmVnb3RpYXRpb24gb2YgdGhlIHJlbW90ZSBpcCB3aGVuIGNvbm5lY3Rpb24g
>Y29tZXMgdXA/DQoNClRoYW5rcywNCg0KU2VyZ2V5DQoNCg0KDQo=

pppd on demand problem

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Dear friends,

> I have a problem with pppd configured to dial on demand to my ISP. The ISP has modem pools each connected to all the routers it has. In that way connection never established with the same router. That means the dialin server's ip is changing from connection to connection. But I should configure the fixed ip in the pppd's parameters to let pppd setup the routing information. And it's not working, of course.

> Is where are any possibility to force negotiation of the remote ip when connection comes up?

Hi Sergey,

I vaguely remember from man pppd that, remote IP address could be
negotiated and changed in demand dialing setup, even if you set it up in
session initialization. I do not readily know how it can be achieved.
But the most sensible way seems that: You both give
<local-IP>:<remote-IP> *and ipcp-accept-remote options. That way, pppd
will initialize the link with <remotr-IP>, but still will negotiate it
with remote side. As far as I remember it was not recommended (but
possible) to renegotiate the remote IP address of a demand link. I
didn't know why, then looked into pppd man page and found the following:
~~~~~~~
When  the  demand option is used, the interface IP addresses have
already been set at the point when IPCP comes up.   If  pppd  has not
been  able  to  negotiate the same addresses that it used to configure
the interface (for example when the peer is an ISP that uses  dynamic
IP  address  assignment),  pppd  has to change the interface IP
addresses to the  negotiated  addresses.   This  may disrupt existing
connections, and the use of demand dialling with peers that do dynamic
IP address assignment is not recommended.
~~~~~~~
HTH
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu    [ aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr ]

1. PPPD ON DEMAND : Fisrt demand is lost !

Using Mandrake 7.0,

I configure pppd to dial on demand (pppd demand....). and then do
ip-masquerade...
It works fine but not the fist time !

here is my problem:
Client : ping x.x.x.x (ping the web)
Linux Box : Dial...then goes connected
Client : ping returns errors (timeout)
Client : resent ping x.x.x.x and now works fine....

Eric

2. WP8? SO5?

3. pppd dial-on-demand problem

4. local diskless freebsd

5. pppd demand problems

6. WWW Server for NetBSD

7. Redhat 5.1 pppd-2.3.5 demand problem

8. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux

9. PPPD on Demand and Netscape problems

10. patch for pppd 2.3.x w/ demand dialing problems

11. Problems with pppd and pppoe using demand

12. kernel 2.0.35, pppd 2.3.5 compilation problems for dial on demand

13. Original PPPD Demand problem.