Routing ip address through linux connected via ppp

Routing ip address through linux connected via ppp

Post by Monz » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello, I have a question about giving my second computer a real internet
address throught a linux machine. The current config is as follows:

isp<--ppp-->|linux machine|<---ethernet--->|windows_nt|
       static ip        192.168.1.1      192.168.1.2
       address here

Desired config:

isp<--ppp-->|linux machine|<---ethernet--->|windows_nt|
       static ip        ?????          static ip address here
       address here

My question is if i get another static ip address for the windows nt
machine what address will the ethernet interface in the linux machine be
set to? Do i need a third address for this? Currently i am using ip-masq
and alls well but i would like to give the windows machine full internet
access.  Also i need to know about the routing.  Any help or pinters to
webpages that address this type of configuration (i have checked and cant
seem to locate the needed information) would be great.
Thanks

Post by bill davids » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

| Hello, I have a question about giving my second computer a real internet
| address throught a linux machine. The current config is as follows:
        [ read the original post ]
| My question is if i get another static ip address for the windows nt
| machine what address will the ethernet interface in the linux machine be
| set to? Do i need a third address for this? Currently i am using ip-masq
| and alls well but i would like to give the windows machine full internet
| access.  Also i need to know about the routing.  Any help or pinters to
| webpages that address this type of configuration (i have checked and cant
| seem to locate the needed information) would be great.

Get another IP from your ISP, set up routing in the Linux machine with
the modem. You can use the same IP on the ppp and enet interfaces, you
don't have to. Set the "other" system to do default routing through the
system with the modem.

ISP <===> SysI <===> SysII
          IP#1       IP#2

SysI does proxyarp for SysII to the ISP, SysII has SysI as default route.
--

 "If I were a diplomat, in the best case I'd go hungry.  In the worst
  case, people would die."

1. getting Lan connected via ppp thru ethernet

Hello all, im sure this has come up many times, so
please just point to me to the specific howto's or readme
files.

I want to be able to connect a lan ( 192.x.x.x) to my linux box
(static ip given by isp) to be able to access the internet when`
connected. The lan is connected to my linux box via ethernet, and
the linux box is connected to the isp via ppp.

I'm sure its setting up ip_masq, and probably ip_forw. But
how to setup the ppp and ethernet interfaces with two different
ip's ( if thats what i gotta do)??

Thanks again..

2. Affix-1.0.0pre7 --- The most powerfull Bluetooth Protocol Stack.

3. Routing static ip addresses through ppp with linux.

4. Getting PID from &

5. Linux/dial-up-PPP to route multple IP addresses - possible?

6. problem booting with new kernel

7. connecting to internet via certain ip address

8. still need help with 3C905C-XL-M

9. How to route win95 LAN thru Linux Box with ppp connection.

10. connecting via ppp to two different sites with same IP's

11. Openserver 3.0 static IP address via PPP

12. PPP PAP connect fails after giving IP addresses

13. PPP connect - pppd: bad local IP address 127.0.0.1