Port 23 and 25 not working

Post by Robert Kant » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:21:52

I am trying to use telnet and my smtp ports and I cannot make a
connection.  I ran nmap and it shows those ports as open.  Any ideas
why I cannot make a connection to these two ports, my others 80, 21,
110 all are functioning as expected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Rob

Port 23 and 25 not working

Post by Paul Lutu » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:27:30

> I am trying to use telnet and my smtp ports and I cannot make a
> connection.  I ran nmap and it shows those ports as open.  Any ideas
> why I cannot make a connection to these two ports, my others 80, 21,
> 110 all are functioning as expected.

Do not multi-post. Your inquiry has already been answered.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Port 23 and 25 not working

Post by Raqueeb Hass » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:09:47

Okay, check these files ... should you are using redhat 7.x ... your
telnet access is disabled by default .... make it look like this ...

$ cat /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
# default: on
#       unencrypted username/password pairs for authentication.
service telnet
{
        disable = no <--------------------- see this
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID

Quote:}

so your port 23 is open ...

now, regarding smtp, port 25 .... newer sendmail only listens to
localhost that is 127.0.0.1 ... should you rather open it, you have to
regenerate the sendmail.conf file by the m4 macro.

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

and you have to change the .mc file as this changes sendmail to only
listen on the loopback device 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network
devices. Comment this out if you want to accept email over the
network.

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

hope this help.

raqueeb hassan
bangladesh

1. HELP: Can't telnet to port 23...but port 25 will work.

I am having problems telneting or ftping to my box. I can telnet to
port 25 (using both the IP or host name); however, I cannot telnet (to
port 23) or ftp using either the IP or the host name.

Hosts.deny/.allow are empty...

...inetd is obviously running...

...DNS is running, and other systems are successfully using it as a DNS
server...

...telnet and ftp lines in /etc/services are uncommented...

...a grep of running services in inetd.conf shows both ftp and telnet.

When telneting to the IP, I get:
   Connected to hostname.com
   Escape characher is...

   Connection closed

Lastly, there is a user other than root.

Could this be a DNS problem (I just set it up as a DNS server -- it was
my first time) -- remember, I could telnet to port 25 using the domain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. xf86setup locks up !help

3. Why this dose not work, for port 23?

4. How to modify the environment of the parent process?

5. ReiserFS 2.5 Update Patch Set 23 of 25

6. Linux/m68k Registration Site

7. Telnet on port 23 spawns other telnet process on different port?

8. UNIX password question

9. PPP & X.25 (not AX.25)

10. why i can not telnet my host 25 ports??

11. sendmail not accepting connections on port 25?

12. port 25 not responding to outside

13. Sendmail not responding on port 25