PPP connection works well ,while SLIP connection doesn't work,why and how?

PPP connection works well ,while SLIP connection doesn't work,why and how?

Post by changshaxyz.. » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:18:20

Hello.

  Can anyone offer suggestions on how to establish a TCP/IP link using
nullmodem between two linux boxes?

  I have consulted the Linux Networking-HOWTO (Using common PC
hardwareNET),the manual of slattach and dip, as well as all the other
documentation that i could find.

  I used two machines running Redhat linux 7.2.

I've tried both SLIP (slattach) and PPP (pppd).When I use PPP(pppd),it
works well ,while I use SLIP(slattach),it do not work.

   For PPP, this is what I am doing :
At  machine 1,run this command:
pppd -detach debug kdebug 4 /dev/ttyS1 local noauth
192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2 &

At  machine 2,run this command:
pppd -detach debug kdebug 4 /dev/ttyS1 local noauth
192.168.1.2:192.168.1.1 &

After run these command ,I can ping between these two machines.

Just because the PPP works well,the null modem line and the serial
port are all OK!

  For slip, this is what I am doing:
At  machine 1,run this command:
% slattach -d -L -p slip /dev/ttyS11 &
%
% ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.1 pointopoint 192.168.1.2 up
%
% route add -host 192.168.1.2 sl0

At  machine 2,run this command:
% slattach -d -L -p slip /dev/ttyS11 &
%
% ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.2 pointopoint 192.168.1.1 up
%
% route add -host 192.168.1.1 sl0

  When I use SLIP,the ifconfig and route command work well,while  ping
doesnot work well!!

  Is this all that I need to do, or is there additional tools I need
to run to
connect.

  Thanks for any help!

Post by Clifford Kit » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 04:57:06

>   Can anyone offer suggestions on how to establish a TCP/IP link
> using a nullmodem between two linux boxes?
>   I have consulted the Linux Networking-HOWTO (Using common PC
> hardwareNET), the manual of slattach and dip, as well as all the
> other documentation that i could find.
>   I used two machines running Redhat linux 7.2.

> I've tried both SLIP (slattach) and PPP (pppd).When I use PPP(pppd),
> it works well ,while I use SLIP(slattach),it do not work.

So why not be happy with PPP?

Quote:>   When I use SLIP,the ifconfig and route command work well,while  ping
> doesnot work well!!

Does not work well meaning that it doesn't work period?  Or that it
works half the time, or what?

Quote:>   Is this all that I need to do, or is there additional tools I need
> to run to connect.

Maybe you need software flow-control set with stty.  See the stty
man pages:

       [-]ixon
              enable XON/XOFF flow control

SLIP is a primitive protocol and needs all the help it can get.

Quote:>   Thanks for any help!

                       ^^^^^^^^
This smacks of HTML which my newsreader can handle transparently fairly
well.  But DON'T post to this group in HTML, it's a text-only group.

--

PPP-Q&A links, downloads:    http://users3.ev1.net/~ckite/public_html/