pppd won't compile

Post by Al Longye » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am attempting to compile pppd ver 2.20f.  When I run a
>make in the top level directory I get the following errors :
>make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ppp-2.2.0f/chat'
>make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ppp-2.2.0f/chat'
>cd pppd; make  all
>make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ppp-2.2.0f/pppd'
>cc -O2   -D_linux_=1 -DHAVE_PATHS_H   -c lcp.c -o lcp.o
>In file included from pppd.h:31,
>                 from lcp.c:39:
>/usr/include/net/ppp_defs.h:1: linux/ppp_defs.h: No such file or directory
>lcp.c:53: linux/if_ppp.h: No such file or directory
>make[1]: *** [lcp.o] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ppp-2.2.0f/pppd'
>make: *** [all] Error 2
>The funny thing is I have check the directory for the file the make
>program says it cant find and it is there.  The file is also
>owned by root, so permission should not be a problem since I am
>making the programs as root.

The file (/usr/include/linux/if_ppp.h)'s directory needs to be
searchable (executable) as well as all of the other directories in the
path. This means that /, /usr, /usr/include, /usr/src, /usr/src/linux,
/usr/src/linux/include, and /usr/src/linux/include/linux need to be
searchable.

--

1. Compiling pppd with cbcp (was Re: can't compile pppd)

Good idea - I've now done that. Infact I've even re-installed the whole
OS too, so its now at RH 5.0.

Well, no. I didn't realise there was a version of 2.2.0g with MSCHAP
compiled into it at the time. Anyway, the current situation is like
this;

I've got ppp-2.3.3 (both src and binary RPMs). I've made the assumption
that MSCHAP and call back aren't compiled in by default, and have tried
compiling my own version. The README.MSCHAP80 and README.cbcp files are
very straightforward, and I compiled pppd with MSCHAP support without a
hitch.

As for the callback, when I patch the ./pppd/Makefile.linux file
according to the instructions, I get success almost all the way there,
and then;

--cut--
cc -O2  -D_linux_=1 -DHAVE_PATHS_H -DIPX_CHANGE -DCBCP_SUPPORT
-DCHAPMS=1 -DUSE_CRYPT=1   -c cbcp.c -o cbcp.o
cbcp.c:50: `PPP_CBCP' undeclared here (not in a function)
cbcp.c:50: initializer element for `cbcp_protent.protocol' is not
constant
cbcp.c: In function `cbcp_send':
cbcp.c:380: `PPP_CBCP' undeclared (first use this function)
cbcp.c:380: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
cbcp.c:380: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [cbcp.o] Error 1
--cut--

When I read the patch that is supposed to update the Makefile to enable
call back, I noticed that the Makefile appears to have changed slightly
since the patch was built (a couple of line numbers are out of sync).

I've never applied a patch before, so I decided to just edit the
Makefile myself. There are only two changes to be made, so I'm confident
I didn't make a balls of it.

I think that the patch was made at version 2.3.0, and I'm trying to
apply it to 2.3.3. I may be talking out of my backside though.
Suggestions, anybody? Please... I'm getting seriously frustrated by this
now, and refuse to revert to Win95. I shan't, I shan't, I shan't....

An easy question - does the binary RPM available from Red Hat's contrib
directory at their ftp site support dial back and MSCHAP by default? I
havn't even considered this possibility, and will be as sick as a pig
(and rather relieved) if it does...

Yes, Red Hat defaults to PPP support via a module. Allegedly.

Thanks for the info.

--
Graham

2. Upgrade blues (Slackware 3.0 to 3.1)

3. HELP: pppd won't talk to modem, and won't link up with ISP

4. Kernel Upgrade causing problems on ancient 386.

5. pppd won't compile :-((

6. Problem with "sendmail -q" called from /etc/ppp/ip-up

7. pppd 2.2.0e won't compile

8. help: patching Solaris 8 breaks xprint (but xplsprinters works)

9. pppd 2.3.9 won't compile

10. pppd-2.3.5 won't compile with glibc-2.7.3

11. PPPD 2.2 won't compile under 1.3.83

12. pppd 2.2.0f won't compile under Kernel 2.0.20

13. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!