HELP: Cannot ping between Win98 box and Redhat 5.1 server.

HELP: Cannot ping between Win98 box and Redhat 5.1 server.

Post by Dennis L. Drob » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'am new to Linux and trying to network between my Win98 PC and my Linux PC.
My Win 98 box has a PCI Fast Ethernet DCI 21143 card, and my Linux box a
3COM 3C509B-TPO card.  I am able to ping to each card on both PCs but I
can't ping between computers.

What have I done wrong???

Thanks in advance for your help.

---Dennis Droba

HELP: Cannot ping between Win98 box and Redhat 5.1 server.

Post by Lloyd Kee » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I had a similar problem with my 3com card. The card was actually in PNP mode
and Linux didnt seem to like it so I disabled the PNP abililty and manually
configured the IO and IRQ, rebooted linux and was pinging the 98 machine
straight away.

s.net...
Quote:> I'am new to Linux and trying to network between my Win98 PC and my Linux
PC.
> My Win 98 box has a PCI Fast Ethernet DCI 21143 card, and my Linux box a
> 3COM 3C509B-TPO card.  I am able to ping to each card on both PCs but I
> can't ping between computers.

> What have I done wrong???

> Thanks in advance for your help.

> ---Dennis Droba

1. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

I'm having a strange problem.  I have a small LAN set up with a Win98 box
and a SuSE 7.1 box set up connected through a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
modem that goes straight to a DEC ethernet card in the Win98 box.  I have a
second ethernet card, a 3c509 in the Windows box that goes straight to the
hub.  Now I can ping my linux box, I can ssh into it (I can't telnet for
some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux box can't even ping the Win98 box.
The card in the Linux box is a 3c509b.  I'm pretty sure it's properly
configured.  Can someone give me a hint here, please.  Thanks a lot.

Jon J. Morin

2. Dial-in <-> Dial-out

3. Redhat 5.1 - Can't ping outside box

4. can't delete partition and "compressed file at block 0"

5. Problems with pinging a 98 box in redhat 5.1

6. yes command source

7. Please Help: Linux box won't ping Win98 box!

8. problem with showmount and nfs

9. Linux / Win98 boxes cannot ping each other

10. i need help networking a win98 to redhat 5.1 using the recomended tulip driver

11. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box

12. Need Help: Setup RedHat 5.1 CD on Single HD(2 Partitions) running Win98.

13. Cannot access Linux box from Win98 box