Routing Static and Default

Post by George Saic » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 11:31:16

for a couple of weeks (please don't ask).  I have been using a pots
(ppp) connection to netcom and they have an smtp server that I have been
using.  I have a Mandrake 6.x box (10.1.1.107 internally and dynamically
assigned externally) running TIS (firewall) and routing out to the
infobahn.  I have 15 office users (imagine that through a pots line).
When the ppp link is up (ppp0) my users and I send emails to the
Mandrake 6.x box (10.1.1.107), this is done by setting the 'Outgoing
mail (SMTP) server' in Netscape Navigator to 10.1.1.107.  There is a
plug configured on the Mandrake 6.x box that plugs itself to the netcom
smtp server (smtp.ix.netcom.net) (This is configured with pop and news
also).  This has been working for a while as well as expected for a pots
line.

When I bring up the T1 on the Mandrake 6.x box(eth1) I set the default
gateway to the T1 hardware (can't remember the ip but its
216.xxx.xxx.xxx) and bring the ppp0 connection down, http, pop and news
all work, but smtp does not.  When I attempt to send mail I get an error
that refers to not relaying.  I think this is an antispamming measure.
I learn as much as I need to and I believe this is related to trying to
use netcoms smtp while not directly connected to them.  The T1

setting a static route up for the netcom smtp server (using its ip
address)  It didn't work.  So I added the name of the server to my hosts
file since in the plug I am using the name not the ip address (if this
is way off you get an idea of just how much I comprehend of this).  It
still didn't work (no relaying).  When I did a traceroute to the
smtpserver I could see it going out through the T1 (eth1).  If I remove
the default route designation from the T1 all traffic goes out through
ppp0.  Oh, good I'm back to 15 people on a pots line.

Is there a way that I can have all traffic other than that going to
smtp.ix.netcom.com go through  the T1 (eth1) and all traffic for
smtp.ix.netcom.com go through pots (ppp0)?
I am willing to read and learn (retention is another issue).  Is there
something I am missing here, or is there a quick doc I can read that has
an example of this type of configuration.

Again, this is a short term problem, but unless I solve it I can't use
the T1 until the smtp problem is solved (two weeks).  In addition to
shopping on the net and receiving chain letters my users need to be able
to send mail to clients.  Its like having a new convertible on a nice
spring day and finding out the keys won't come for two weeks.
Thanks,
GS

Routing Static and Default

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:27:20

>for a couple of weeks (please don't ask).  I have been using a pots
>(ppp) connection to netcom and they have an smtp server that I have been
>using.  I have a Mandrake 6.x box (10.1.1.107 internally and dynamically
>assigned externally) running TIS (firewall) and routing out to the
>infobahn.  I have 15 office users (imagine that through a pots line).
>When the ppp link is up (ppp0) my users and I send emails to the
>Mandrake 6.x box (10.1.1.107), this is done by setting the 'Outgoing
>mail (SMTP) server' in Netscape Navigator to 10.1.1.107.  There is a
>plug configured on the Mandrake 6.x box that plugs itself to the netcom
>smtp server (smtp.ix.netcom.net) (This is configured with pop and news
>also).  This has been working for a while as well as expected for a pots
>line.

>When I bring up the T1 on the Mandrake 6.x box(eth1) I set the default
>gateway to the T1 hardware (can't remember the ip but its
>216.xxx.xxx.xxx) and bring the ppp0 connection down, http, pop and news
>all work, but smtp does not.  When I attempt to send mail I get an error
>that refers to not relaying.  I think this is an antispamming measure.
>I learn as much as I need to and I believe this is related to trying to
>use netcoms smtp while not directly connected to them.  The T1

>setting a static route up for the netcom smtp server (using its ip
>address)  It didn't work.  So I added the name of the server to my hosts
>file since in the plug I am using the name not the ip address (if this
>is way off you get an idea of just how much I comprehend of this).  It
>still didn't work (no relaying).  When I did a traceroute to the
>smtpserver I could see it going out through the T1 (eth1).  If I remove
>the default route designation from the T1 all traffic goes out through
>ppp0.  Oh, good I'm back to 15 people on a pots line.

>Is there a way that I can have all traffic other than that going to
>smtp.ix.netcom.com go through  the T1 (eth1) and all traffic for
>smtp.ix.netcom.com go through pots (ppp0)?
>I am willing to read and learn (retention is another issue).  Is there
>something I am missing here, or is there a quick doc I can read that has
>an example of this type of configuration.

Add a -host route to smtp.ix.netcom.com via dev ppp0, or maybe a -net
route if you can figure out what else you need to access there.  But if
your T1 has a hostname (nslookup its IP), give your box that hostname and
simply run your own smtp server without having to rely on anybody else at
all for mail.  If I can send and receive mail directly with a static IP on
ppp (occasionally since it is not always up) then you should be able to do
it on T1.

Quote:>Again, this is a short term problem, but unless I solve it I can't use
>the T1 until the smtp problem is solved (two weeks).  In addition to
>shopping on the net and receiving chain letters my users need to be able
>to send mail to clients.  Its like having a new convertible on a nice
>spring day and finding out the keys won't come for two weeks.
>Thanks,
>GS

Our company is on pacbell DSL and we run our own Linux smtp/pop3 mail
server, without touching a pacbell mailserver.  If you want something done
right, do it yourself.