I want to setup a server for local network.
I've done many reading, but all of them are documenting how to setup
linux server as an Internet gateway. My PC doesn't have Internet access
currently, but I want to use it as a server for my local machines.
This is how far I've gone: I've setup my http, ftp & dhcp server. The
client machine can aquire an IP and visit my web page. The problems are:
- the connection is extremely slow (both of our NIC are 100M).
- More over, ftp access from/to both ways always ended up with 'time
out'. (I've config my firewall to allow anything).
- Further more, the respond is also extremely slow when I ftp local
host. (>3min to connect).
In order to solve this:
- I deleted the "out going" gateway but it didn't help.
- I tried to setup a DNS server, but was stopped by the question "your
primary DNS server", which I don't have.
Please help, how can I setup a local only network server? (at least for
my ftp & http access). Thanks!
PS. How can I make sure that it is not the network cable that is causing
the delay? (this is the only one I have, no alternatives)