Setup a local network server

Post by * Tong » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 04:34:26

Hi,

I want to setup a server for local network.

I've done many reading, but all of them are documenting how to setup
linux server as an Internet gateway. My PC doesn't have Internet access
currently, but I want to use it as a server for my local machines.

This is how far I've gone: I've setup my http, ftp & dhcp server. The
client machine can aquire an IP and visit my web page. The problems are:

- the connection is extremely slow (both of our NIC are 100M).
- More over, ftp access from/to both ways always ended up with 'time
out'. (I've config my firewall to allow anything).
- Further more, the respond is also extremely slow when I ftp local
host. (>3min to connect).

In order to solve this:
- I deleted the "out going" gateway but it didn't help.
- I tried to setup a DNS server, but was stopped by the question "your
primary DNS server", which I don't have.

Please help, how can I setup a local only network server? (at least for
my ftp & http access). Thanks!

tong

PS. How can I make sure that it is not the network cable that is causing
the delay? (this is the only one I have, no alternatives)

Post by Erik Ljungstr? » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 05:15:51

> Hi,

> I want to setup a server for local network.

> I've done many reading, but all of them are documenting how to setup
> linux server as an Internet gateway. My PC doesn't have Internet access
> currently, but I want to use it as a server for my local machines.

> This is how far I've gone: I've setup my http, ftp & dhcp server. The
> client machine can aquire an IP and visit my web page. The problems are:

> - the connection is extremely slow (both of our NIC are 100M).
> - More over, ftp access from/to both ways always ended up with 'time
> out'. (I've config my firewall to allow anything).
> - Further more, the respond is also extremely slow when I ftp local
> host. (>3min to connect).

> In order to solve this:
> - I deleted the "out going" gateway but it didn't help.
> - I tried to setup a DNS server, but was stopped by the question "your
> primary DNS server", which I don't have.

> Please help, how can I setup a local only network server? (at least for
> my ftp & http access). Thanks!

> tong

> PS. How can I make sure that it is not the network cable that is causing
> the delay? (this is the only one I have, no alternatives)

Read this, it's a damn good tutorial/example.

http://www.linuxathome.net/iptables.php

The only way you can test to see wether it's your cable is to try
another cable, alternatively transfer a file between the two
computers locally, without involving internet, to see if
the speed is just as slow (I suppose the latter is recommended).

Btw, you really don't need to set up your own dhcp server, or
DNS server. This usually just gives you more areas to cover
while bugtracking.

Good luck!

--

        -> ipv4: http://www.northernmost.org
        -> ipv6: http://freebsd.northernmost.org

Post by * Tong » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 07:41:19

>>Hi,

>>I want to setup a server for local network.

>>I've done many reading, but all of them are documenting how to setup
>>linux server as an Internet gateway. My PC doesn't have Internet access
>>currently, but I want to use it as a server for my local machines.

>>This is how far I've gone: I've setup my http, ftp & dhcp server. The
>>client machine can aquire an IP and visit my web page. The problems are:

>>- the connection is extremely slow (both of our NIC are 100M).
>>- More over, ftp access from/to both ways always ended up with 'time
>>out'. (I've config my firewall to allow anything).
>>- Further more, the respond is also extremely slow when I ftp local
>>host. (>3min to connect).

>>In order to solve this:
>>- I deleted the "out going" gateway but it didn't help.
>>- I tried to setup a DNS server, but was stopped by the question "your
>>primary DNS server", which I don't have.

>>Please help, how can I setup a local only network server? (at least for
>>my ftp & http access). Thanks!

>>tong

>>PS. How can I make sure that it is not the network cable that is causing
>>the delay? (this is the only one I have, no alternatives)

> Read this, it's a damn good tutorial/example.

> http://www.linuxathome.net/iptables.php

NO, I don't want to share Internet. I don't have it. I want to know why
the local connection is slow and solve it. I've config my firewall to
allow anything.

Thanks to the suggestion of testing the cable. That's really to the point.

Thanks

Quote:> The only way you can test to see wether it's your cable is to try

Post by Carles Arjon » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 08:31:56

> This is how far I've gone: I've setup my http, ftp & dhcp server. The
> client machine can aquire an IP and visit my web page. The problems are:

> - the connection is extremely slow (both of our NIC are 100M).
> - More over, ftp access from/to both ways always ended up with 'time
> out'. (I've config my firewall to allow anything).
> - Further more, the respond is also extremely slow when I ftp local
> host. (>3min to connect).

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=slow+ftp+linux

Usually caused by DNS reverse lookups:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dns+reverse+lookups+linux

Quote:> PS. How can I make sure that it is not the network cable that is causing
> the delay? (this is the only one I have, no alternatives)

A simple "ping IP_Address_of_client" (no quotes) from the server should
help.

--
Regards,

Setup a local network server

Post by Paul Lutu » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 08:43:00

/ ...

Quote:>> Read this, it's a damn good tutorial/example.

>> http://www.linuxathome.net/iptables.php

> NO, I don't want to share Internet. I don't have it. I want to know why
> the local connection is slow and solve it. I've config my firewall to
> allow anything.

Okay, the issue is speed. Change over to a system of all static addresses.

Example:

1. Four machines, M1 to M4, with this /etc/hosts content on each machine:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

192.168.0.1 M1.com M1

192.168.0.1 M1.com M1

192.168.0.1 M1.com M1

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Setup a local network server

Post by Paul Lutu » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 08:46:51

/ ...

Quote:>> Read this, it's a damn good tutorial/example.

>> http://www.linuxathome.net/iptables.php

> NO, I don't want to share Internet. I don't have it. I want to know why
> the local connection is slow and solve it. I've config my firewall to
> allow anything.

> Thanks to the suggestion of testing the cable. That's really to the
> point.

> Thanks

>> The only way you can test to see wether it's your cable is to try [...]

(my newsreader suddenly, and without warning, sent a partial post)

Okay, the issue is speed. Change over to a system of all static addresses.

Example:

1. Four machines, M1 to M4, with this /etc/hosts content on each machine:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

192.168.0.1 M1.com M1

192.168.0.2 M2.com M2

192.168.0.3 M3.com M3

192.168.0.4 M4.com M4

2. Disable DNS and delete any content in /etc/resolv.conf

3. Set the above addressses, and a netmask of 255.255.255.0, on each
machine's NIC.

Now test the system. It should be much faster (because I suspect you were
having DNS problems).

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Post by * Tong » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 09:39:35

> Please help, how can I setup a local only network server? (at least for
> my ftp & http access). Thanks!

Thanks Paul and Carles, I'll give it a try right away and post the test
result.

Setup a local network server

Post by * Tong » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:25:38

Quote:>> Please help, how can I setup a local only network server? (at least
>> for my ftp & http access). Thanks!

> Thanks Paul and Carles, I'll give it a try right away and post the test
> result.

What does it imply when ping fails?

Two PC with static IPs, linked with "cross-over" cable:

1st linux:

  * IP Address: 192.168.0.1
  * Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  * Broadcast Addr: 192.168.0.255

2nd XP:

  * IP Address: 192.168.0.2
  * Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Ping result is "destination unreachable"/"time out".

What confusing is that I can't say it is cable's problem because

- XP says 100M connection speed, and report error when the cable is
unplugged
- when the 1st PC boots into w98, 2nd can see it in the workgroup.

In a word, there is definitely some info exchanging going on between two
PCs, but pinging between them fails (whether 1st PC is in Linux or w98).
Every PC pings itself OK.

What else can I try?

PS. I have netwatch installed on 1st PC (Linux). Any way I can broadcast
something on the local network from either PCs?

thanks

Post by Paul Lutu » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 16:59:06

>>> Please help, how can I setup a local only network server? (at least
>>> for my ftp & http access). Thanks!

>> Thanks Paul and Carles, I'll give it a try right away and post the test
>> result.

> What does it imply when ping fails?

That depends. If ping fails with a numerical address, this indicates a
total network failure, but one that could be caused by nearly anything,
from no TCP/IP support to an overly restrictive firewall.

If ping succeeds with a numerical address, but fails with a name, this
means no name resolution. This is easier to solve.

Quote:

> Two PC with static IPs, linked with "cross-over" cable:

> 1st linux:

>   * IP Address: 192.168.0.1
>   * Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>   * Broadcast Addr: 192.168.0.255

> 2nd XP:

>   * IP Address: 192.168.0.2
>   * Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

> Ping result is "destination unreachable"/"time out".

Do your NICs have activity lights? DO you see the lights? Is the cable
really crossover? Do you have a firewall? What does "ifconfig" show on
each machine?

Are you by chance using a hub AND a crossover cable? If so, use the
crossover cable only. And make sure it is a crossover cable (most network
cables are not crossover).

Quote:

> What confusing is that I can't say it is cable's problem because

> - XP says 100M connection speed, and report error when the cable is
> unplugged
> - when the 1st PC boots into w98, 2nd can see it in the workgroup.

This suggests that one of your PCs is misconfigured in Linux. Make sure:

1. iptables is disabled: "service iptables stop".

2. /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny have no active entries (comment
everything out).

Quote:

> In a word, there is definitely some info exchanging going on between two
> PCs,

Make sure by trying to browse the visible network share. This
might be a ghost, not a current status indication.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

1. Setup sendmail for local home-network AND uucp global network

Hi.

  I run two systems and have one setup as a server (mail, news, proxy, NFS
and the like). Now I seldom work on the serve more on my desktop.

  And here comes my problem. Since I had updated the complete server
the sendmail got updated too. And now my old sendmail.cf on my desktop
didn't work like it should.

  Before the update I had on both systems a sendmail running and the
sendmail on my desktop had received the mail and just send it to the
serve which had then send it out via uucp. Unfortunately it does not
work any more.

  Any idea how I had to setup the sendmail.cf to work it work again?

TIA

        Torsten

--
s-mail: Neckarstr. 120                                         Torsten Zirzlaff
        70190 Stuttgart

|  The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined  |
|  as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
|  behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'                  |

2. PCMCIA and Linux

3. network problem - local network setup

4. iButton for use as login tool under linux

5. newbie help with starting an apache server...users outside local network cant find server.

6. X Windows Monitor Configuration

7. Basic Local Area Networking Setup Help

8. NEC Versa M HD upgrade?

9. Did setup Linux, but having problems setting up Local Email between local users

10. Local network setup problems

11. How to setup a local network with ethernet card?

12. How to setup local network between linux and Win95?

13. Local network setup (Debian 2.0.30)