net connection from commandline - non root

net connection from commandline - non root

Post by though » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:40:19

Rightio.

I would like to use a command at the prompt to put up
 ppp0.
I would like this command to be accesible
by normal (nonroot) users.

I'm using mandrake with a  2.4.8-26 kernel.

So far, I've been using 'netconf --connect [confFile] ' ,
but that requires root priviledges.

' ifup ppp0 ' wont work under mandrake, for reasons that elude me.
I think mandrake treats the ppp0 interface slightly
differently to the other distro's Ive had "experience" with.

I know this might seem like a dumb post, but I've failed to
find the  information elswhere -
so I humbly ask that if your response is a simple 'rtfm',
please tell me which f'ing m to r. :)

Thanks.

Post by 1d.. » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:06:08

|I would like to use a command at the prompt to put up
| ppp0.
|I would like this command to be accesible
|by normal (nonroot) users.
|
|I'm using mandrake with a  2.4.8-26 kernel.
|
|So far, I've been using 'netconf --connect [confFile] ' ,
|but that requires root priviledges.

Look into sudo, this allows you to specify that certain commands (and
arguments) can be invoked by normal users as root.

Post by David Schwart » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:10:45

> so I humbly ask that if your response is a simple 'rtfm',
> please tell me which f'ing m to r. :)

        'man sudo' 'man sudoers'

        DS

net connection from commandline - non root

Post by Stefan Taferne » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:54:53

[...]

Quote:> ' ifup ppp0 ' wont work under mandrake, for reasons that elude me.
> I think mandrake treats the ppp0 interface slightly
> differently to the other distro's Ive had "experience" with.

Does your ppp0 device exist all the time?

For example dialup connections create the interface (ppp0) only
when the connection is established (when pppd is running).

So you cannot access it with ifup (or ifconfig), because it is not
existent at that point (assuming that you want to dialup with that
command).

--Stefan

1. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

Hi Folks,

Here is the problem.

I have user A and user B (non-root users)

I need for user A to initiate a job as user B. How can this be done?

As you know, I can do this as root. I can start a process from root as
another user in the system (cron jobs come to my mind!) Is there a way
to do this for non-root users? I believe I need to be able to do
something like  as user A
"su - B" without being prompted for password.

Appreciate suggestions in advance.

Pasha

BTW: I am using AIX 4.3.10

2. Help with Serial Line

3. isp connection with non root

4. Ktexmaker2

5. Establishing PPP connection as non-root?

6. How to put a web site on a dynamic IP?

7. Is there a way to allow non-root users start/stop ISP connection?

8. Security Help Needed

9. Non-root PPP connection - THANKS !

10. Non-root connection with ppp-on? Help!

11. PPP connection problem for non-root users

12. Booting a netted Solaris 2.2 disk as non-netted?

13. Dial telephone number for voice connection on the commandline?